Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Unusual find

Ringpull Rob

Went out to my farm permission this week and decided to go over a field I had previously detected a year or so ago. Had a solid 38 signal so dug down 6 inches and found an oval p of bronze with a hole in the middle. Did a bit of research and it turns out to be a Japanese 100 Mon coin from 1830-1875 made during Emperor Ninco’s reign. How on earth did that turn up in a field in South West England

Attachments

• IMG_1172.jpeg
    IMG_1172.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1173.jpeg
    IMG_1173.jpeg
    36 KB · Views: 88
Went out to my farm permission this week and decided to go over a field I had previously detected a year or so ago. Had a solid 38 signal so dug down 6 inches and found an oval p of bronze with a hole in the middle. Did a bit of research and it turns out to be a Japanese 100 Mon coin from 1830-1875 made during Emperor Ninco’s reign. How on earth did that turn up in a field in South West England
I saw one of Quarter Hoarders videos where he stated that Asian coins were very popular during the Art Deco period (1919-1939). People would purchase these coins and make wind chimes and other art projects.

When did the Japanese come to England?

The first Japanese official mission to England arrived in London at the beginning of May 1862 and was accommodated in Claridge's Hotel.

Same time frame…….??????

Those are cool historic finds. I love finding those types of coins

I posted This find on another Uk metal detecting forum and someone contacted me saying they had also found one of these coins a few years ago and when I asked his location it turns out he found it in the same part of the Uk as me ( it was actually about 5 miles away). I live in Plymouth which is a city in the South west of England. Plymouth has a large port and has a rich history in sea trading so possibly in the mid eighteenth century a Japanese ship could have docked and its crew come ashore bringing their cash with them. You never know.