Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

update - cleaned 1824 capped dime

Barry NY

Hi - so I had the cousin of a friend...a professional coin dealer...take a look at it before I did any cleaning.
He claimed it's in poor condition - worth $50.

So I decided to give it a 90 second electrolysis bath and then gently wipe off the black with cotton...now she looks great...

On FleaBay there is one I believe in worse condition with much less detail and relief listed at $280 stating VF condition: 130765034345

The pictures from the micro camera don't really do it justice...it has a more even patina...

Yes, that coin does look great. How could he say poor condition. I'm due to find my first silver capped bust.

That looks a lot nicer cleaned Barry. My opinion is it is a nice 1824/2 in Fine condition. It should be worth somewhere in the $200 range but that is just MY opinion. If you were going to sell it, you might consider getting it slabbed because it might grade a little higher and could be worth more.

Sounds like Mr. Coin Dealer was trying to get your coin for a song. It is definately worth more than that .. :clap:

Poor condition my arse. Keep your coins away from your friends cousin.....and anything else you have of value.

Great looking coin!
Also I would say that coin on eBay is far from very fine.

Thanks Guys.....and I very much agree with you Larry...

PS - I've never sold a thing...only have used my tumbled quarters from the beach at my kid's apt for the washing machine.......

Nice coin, looks like it was hit with the digger.:confused:

Compare it to these Capped dimes on the PCGS site which is a great resource for grading coins. Looks to be in the vf-xf range to me but the small nick may knock it down some. http://www.pcgs.com/photograde/#/Capped10Lg/Grades

The nick in Miss Liberty's cheek? That's a battle scar.

Hi Guys - any scars on that Babies face is from either her Husband smacking her around for being too bossy or the farm machinery...or even from before it was dropped.

When I pulled her out of the hole it was in a full clump..

PS - great grading website thanks...and the picture really doesn't do it justice...I sent it off to get slabbed - hoping for VF grade....

I bet you'll get that VF grade you're looking for.... that's a very nice looking coin!!! in the future, I'd keep away from the fella that told you it was poor and worth $50.

That's a great coin. Even our small change had more class back in the good old days. I guess the old saying never take your first offer rings true, because even to an amateur like myself, it's worth more than $50.00. Keeping in mind that one person's value of an item may be different from another's.
I like that grading site myself and just found it the other day on my computer and hope to learn a little bit about grading coins. A guy named James on about.com/ coins mentioned this book and said the first edition was better than the 2nd edition and I can't remember why. The title was: The Official Guide to Coin Grading and Counterfeit Detection. I can't remember the author and luckily for me, it was available for inter-library loan.
The electrolysis bath did a great job. I tried cleaning a 1911-V nickel in A1 sauce and it really pitted it up. My fault for leaving it in the sauce too long.
I would like to find a beautiful coin like that and hope to do so in the future.

Thanks fongu........
I have found a number of capped bust. It all depends where you get to detect...I'll consider myself VERY fortunate to have the locations that I do. I've already found two 1666 cobs, a dozen reales from the 1700's etc...not bragging - it's location...location...location...anyone on the property could have found this stuff...

Then I look at the guys in the UK and I think WTF - how good do they have it over there??? I've been there twice and detecting there BLOWS AWAY anything we have here in terms of coins and relics...
And those guys just take it for granted. You come home depressed after detecting there for a week. And then I take guys to my locations and they're like WTF - how good does Barry have it...

I guess it's all relative - you just need to cherish and enjoy what you have available.

That's beautiful, nice find, congrats. Artie