Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Update on the hammered coin from Victoria, BC.

This is a step by step account of his cleaning the coin, in his own words.

"First and foremost I want to say thank you to everyone. I have been astounded by the results this has generated. The Shilling was about 3-4" deep in the mud. The Gorge is an arm of the ocean and this spot was above the tide at the time I made the recovery. I have contacted Several archaeology departments and the Museum however the only reply to date was from the ministry of lands and forests. They said thank you but you should contact the museum, since they can't control the water they are not interested. Before and after pics. I tried several methods of cleaning but nothing was very effective. So i ended up soaking it in lemon juice for 2 days and then sandwiched in tinfoil for 1/2 hr. The stink invaded the house so I rinsed it with soap and water and this is the result. Should I try cleaning it more or leave it as is?"

At this point I bet everyone is cringing and saying to themselves....DON'T CLEAN IT ANYMORE!! He was thinking the same thing, but this week....something amazing happened.

"The other day Martymoose called to say he thought the pitting on the shilling wasn't pitting but was where the crust had falling off. I said what crust? As he was explaining silver crust I was inspecting the coin. I pressed at the edge with my thumb nail and a piece flaked off and then another and another. I was telling Marty this as it was happening and he just about freaked. Leave it alone he says and in the next breath he asks what is left? I could hear the concern in his voice and all I could see was black smudge. I rubbed it with my thumb and said to him more detail. So this is what it looked like."

"Still more detail to come out but I will leave it alone for now.
Merry Christmas to each and everyone of you It has been a fantastic first year for me Thank you all!"

What an amazing Christmas present for Bruce "2ndoldman"

that's something else! what was that coin from, the mid-late 1500s? with the amount of detail that's left on it it doesn't look like it was carried around for that long before it was dropped.

Very cool!

No less then 460 years old. :surprised:
If I am correct that one was minted 51-53???
Have you researched the shipwrecks from the general area of recovery?
I would love to hear more.
Anyhow it looks really good now that the crust popped away.
Great photos. The pieces of crust that are in the photos even have great detail.

Awesome find for sure.:clapping: