Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Used Minelab Prices

Kraemer

Am I the only guy that is POed over the resale value of my CTX and ETrac? Since the Equinox’s came out the resale values of my CTX 3030 and ETrac are in the toilet. It would be a challenge to trade either for a Equinox 600 or 800 straight up. Same issue with the Impact, now worth half as new. Progress is great but it is a kick in the wallet! Oh well, can’t wait to get a Simplex!

I have to agree. The Equinox has driven the used detector market in the tank. The Etrac and 3030 have taken a big hit because they are expensive to begin with. I have had to give my last three detectors away. I have found that selling used detectors locally on Graigslist is the best way to go. Many people viewing Graigslist don't know the overall used detector market.

Kraemer said:
Am I the only guy that is POed over the resale value of my CTX and ETrac? Since the Equinox’s came out the resale values of my CTX 3030 and ETrac are in the toilet. It would be a challenge to trade either for a Equinox 600 or 800 straight up. Same issue with the Impact, now worth half as new. Progress is great but it is a kick in the wallet! Oh well, can’t wait to get a Simplex!

The worst thing about it is it isnt even progress in the most important sense which is finds rate.How many targets the equinox will find that the ctx or etrac wouldn't is highly debatable and it's unlikely in real detecting situations that it will do any better.
Its the same with the deus and the goldmax power......the goldmax power was and still is one of the best machines for finding small hammered and roman coins in amongst iron.Along comes the deus with cordless technology and a screen and all of a sudden the Goldmax is being sold all over the
internet at cheap prices as the deus is the best thing since sliced bread........it won't find anymore than the Goldmax in real detecting situations but people believe it will because the marketing men say it will.
I'd keep your ctx and etrac until there is some actual useful technology that will increase your finds rate.

This is why I sold my Etrac as soon as the nox came out I got what I paid for it to I bought mine used..
And yeas as stated above Craigslist is the way to sell them..
I had a Deus but sold it after I got my Equinox just a better detector for what I do saltwater beaches parks and old house yards I’m a big old coin hunter.
Deus reminds me of Apple they come out with a “new coil” and everyone thinks oh man got have it like a new phone!
I did way better coin hunting with the LF 9” coil than the HF 9” JMHO..
Mark

OK economics 101. A MD is no different than any other gadgets. It depreciates but more so if something new comes out. Everybody flocks to it whether its better or not. I have a Deus and the CTX. I'll never sell my Deus. I've considered selling the CTX. In some ways its the most advanced machine on the market, being able to show you on the screen when you have two objects close together. Does this make it worth 1200 to $1500 higher than its closest competitor? Maybe if that were the only factor but its also a lot slower and heavier than other machines for a market whose largest participants are guys with 50 year old backs. I still enjoy going behind the Deus and picking out things that the single kfz machine missed. This is another thing i've noticed on posts. Nauti Neil brought up a very good point. If two guys go out together with different machines, assuming they have the same skill level and the machines have the same depth capabilities then it becomes mostly about whats under the coil though some machines can give you an edge in certain situations like heavy iron. I go MDing with a buddy who has several machines but has been using an old analog machine lately and some days he eats my lunch especially on old nickels. Back when these machines were the thing, I suspect most guys were strickly coin hunters and the "boxes" were narrower so more trash was screened. All I can say is take your lickin and keep on tickin. In a year you won't think much about it. HH

Nauti Neil said:
Kraemer said:

The worst thing about it is it isnt even progress in the most important sense which is finds rate.How many targets the equinox will find that the ctx or etrac wouldn't is highly debatable and it's unlikely in real detecting situations that it will do any better.
Its the same with the deus and the goldmax power......the goldmax power was and still is one of the best machines for finding small hammered and roman coins in amongst iron.Along comes the deus with cordless technology and a screen and all of a sudden the Goldmax is being sold all over the
internet at cheap prices as the deus is the best thing since sliced bread........it won't find anymore than the Goldmax in real detecting situations but people believe it will because the marketing men say it will.
I'd keep your ctx and etrac until there is some actual useful technology that will increase your finds rate.

Exactly. I didn’t buy my stuff to resell it.

That's the big catch with anything.

Something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it.

That's when you have to decide if it's worth more to you than what you can possibly get for it used. Some times it's better just to keep it than to give it away.

These guys buying new boats make me shake my head. Take an aluminum boat these days...a new one will run you $20,000+. They try to smooth this over by just giving you the monthly payment cost instead of the full amount...which is around $200 a month. That sounds good and easy and that's why so many jump on it...but the fine print says that's on a 120 month note. 10 years. By the time they get it paid off, that boat will only be worth around 5 thousand at best.

On a side note, I am in search of a cheap CTX 3030 myself. I may not get much time to use it, but if one comes along for the right price...scratched up, out of warranty, but working great...I will have to jump on it.

Kraemer said:

Ha, well it depends on which side of the isle you're on. If you're a guy who loves and stays loyal to one of the older incarnations, then .... It's a "buyer's market".

I tried the Nox, and found that it didn't do anything, for MY type of hunting, that my Exp. II couldn't do equally as well. So that, combined with the lack-of-in-line Sunray probe, makes me stick with the older machine. And now I'm tempted to swoop up some others JUST to get the sunray probes as parts. Since, as you say, there are good deals on them now :)

I was out on Friday PM with 5 other guys at an old town demolition site. And I think all of them were swinging the Nox. I got as higher, or higher coin counts as any of them. So the Nox was doing "nothing magical" there, that the older Exp. II couldn't equally do.

Nauti Neil said:
... The worst thing about it is it isnt even progress in the most important sense which is finds rate.How many targets the equinox will find that the ctx or etrac wouldn't is highly debatable and it's unlikely in real detecting situations that it will do any better.....

Agreed. For my types hunting, I am keeping up with, or spanking the Nox guys, with my Exp II still.

An exception is going to be : If micro-jewelry is someone's desire. Then yes, the Nox can do it, and the old-school Explorers (etrac, CTX, etc...) can't do that. The Nox may also out-perform the old explorers in iron-ridden places (ie.: ghost-townsy sites). But for that, I just grab my old school 2-filter Tesoros (Bandido, etc...).

But when it comes to normal coins/jewelry , on beach and turf, it's hard to beat the old school Explorers.

Yes, it is a weird market. Since tesoro closed the doors, I've been waiting for closeouts on a new vaquero, maybe a tejon but it doesn't seem to be happening. Heck seems even the used ones are jacking up. Good luck to you.

Supply and Demand. The supply has dried up and those who love the Tesoro's (definitely not me) still want the machine so the demand is now far higher than the supply.

I'm in the group that knew the NOX was going to kill the 3030 & Etrac market value so I sold the E-Trac while the value was still around $900, then bought my NOX.

Tom_in_CA said:
Nauti Neil said:
... The worst thing about it is it isnt even progress in the most important sense which is finds rate.How many targets the equinox will find that the ctx or etrac wouldn't is highly debatable and it's unlikely in real detecting situations that it will do any better.....

Agreed. For my types hunting, I am keeping up with, or spanking the Nox guys, with my Exp II still.

An exception is going to be : If micro-jewelry is someone's desire. Then yes, the Nox can do it, and the old-school Explorers (etrac, CTX, etc...) can't do that. The Nox may also out-perform the old explorers in iron-ridden places (ie.: ghost-townsy sites). But for that, I just grab my old school 2-filter Tesoros (Bandido, etc...).

But when it comes to normal coins/jewelry , on beach and turf, it's hard to beat the old school Explorers.
My friend has the CTX and Excalibur and a Nox he spends all day on beaches and he will
outhunt almost anyone and he will show you his gold finds with the nox they're amazingly impressive! and coming from him I was a believer so I sold my Etrac and Deus and saved the cash to buy a small coil and I outhunt my friends almost every time machine or is it the guy using it?
I believe it's both.
Mark

Hi Southwind. Glad you like your Nox.

I'm in the group that got a smoking good deal on an extremely nice Etrac due to the Equinox release. I felt like a bandit :wiggle:

I have no interest in the Exquinox series but I sure do like the Etrac.

[attachment 368478 DSCN4301A.jpg]

HH
Mike

Mike Hillis said:
Hi Southwind. Glad you like your Nox.

I'm in the group that got a smoking good deal on an extremely nice Etrac due to the Equinox release. I felt like a bandit :wiggle:

I have no interest in the Exquinox series but I sure do like the Etrac.

[attachment 368478 DSCN4301A.jpg]

HH
Mike
If you like to water hunt the Nox gets wet and finds the goods its probably why most who had a Etrac have bought a Nox and the weight it
killed my tennis Elbow..
Mark

I have been waiting for over 30 years for that magic breakthrough technology to come. Not much has changed in the past 3 decades. Sure, we now have GPS on the CTX 3030, which I never use, and other whizbang gadgets like cordless headphones. I still contend that whatever detector company comes up with discrimination that is capable of distinguishing gold from aluminum will kill all other detector companies. As for the Equinox killing the resale values of the ETRAC and CTX, I have already seen many NOX'S for sale. Many are probably scratching their heads wondering why the sold their CTX'S , ETRAC'S, and Explorers to purchase the NOX.

Bulletman

Shalom

bulletman said:
I have been waiting for over 30 years for that magic breakthrough technology to come. Not much has changed in the past 3 decades. Sure, we now have GPS on the CTX 3030, which I never use, and other whizbang gadgets like cordless headphones. I still contend that whatever detector company comes up with discrimination that is capable of distinguishing gold from aluminum will kill all other detector companies. As for the Equinox killing the resale values of the ETRAC and CTX, I have already seen many NOX'S for sale. Many are probably scratching their heads wondering why the sold their CTX'S , ETRAC'S, and Explorers to purchase the NOX.

Bulletman

Shalom
I’m not scratching my head over the sale of my Etrac one bit love the weight and finds I’m making with mine It took me a week to start making some great finds in my old spots with my Equinox .
I’m just glad I sold my Etrac while the value was still there ...
Mark

Mkus said:
bulletman said:

Bulletman

Shalom
I’m not scratching my head over the sale of my Etrac one bit love the weight and finds I’m making with mine It took me a week to start making some great finds in my old spots with my Equinox .
I’m just glad I sold my Etrac while the value was still there ...
Mark

I'm not sorry I sold my Explorer SE and got a Nox 600 either. I will be selling a few other detectors also