Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

used XLT versus used DFX

KY PI

I'm still pretty new to metal detecting having bought my 1st detector, a MXT PRO about a year ago. I really like my MXT but recently had a chance to buy a used XLT as a backup machine. I have been told that the DFX is the improved model of XLT, is that correct? Given the chance to buy either machine what would everyone think would be best? The price on the XLT was $400. and I wondered if a used DFX would be much more? I would appreciate everyone's opinion. I'm mainly into coins and jewelry right now but am interested in relic hunting. I know my MXT PRO will do a great job but everyone needs a backup, right????? Thanks everyone for your input.
Hope everyone has a great Thanksgiving!

KY PI said:
I'm still pretty new to metal detecting having bought my 1st detector, a MXT PRO about a year ago.
Congrats on your purchase of an MXT Pro. A versatile detector, and while I have used mine for coin hunting and now that the design also works great for gold nugget hunting, I believe it is especially valued as a serious relic hunting unit.

KY PI said:
I really like my MXT but recently had a chance to buy a used XLT as a backup machine.
Not a bad decision, in my opinion. Back when the MXT was first released I was using an XLT (and modified Classic s and a 6000 Pro XL). The MXT really interested me and I bought a new one ... as a 'back-up' to my XLT. :)

KY PI said:
I have been told that the DFX is the improved model of XLT, is that correct?
Some people will argue that it is a totally different detector, but the design engineer wrote an early write-up and claimed the DFX was an XLT that had some re-work done to it and was, in essence, sort of an 'improved' XLT. I own and use and enjoy my current and final XLT (#22) and have owned 4-DFX's. I have used friends DFX's or those that folks have brought to a seminar to get some settings made for them, or just work factory-set programs against the factory-set XLT programs.

In almost every case the XLT has locked on a bit better to coins in the 4"+ depth range than the DFX's have. I have some good friends who have used both. She started with an XLT and he, not to be outclassed, later bought a higher-priced DFX. In the field for a couple of years they would compare located targets side-by-side and the XLT would usually do better. The DFX never did, and they were some little subtle performance things in audio or ??? that they (and me and others) just couldn't quite define, but alerted us that we preferred the XLT.

He sold off his DFX a couple of years ago, but she has, and will always have, her proven XLT. I know I don't plan to ever have another DFX. The XLT worked just fine for me.

KY PI said:
Given the chance to buy either machine what would everyone think would be best? The price on the XLT was $400. and I wondered if a used DFX would be much more?
I have come across a clean DFX from about $400 on up a little.

KY PI said:
I would appreciate everyone's opinion. I'm mainly into coins and jewelry right now but am interested in relic hunting. I know my MXT PRO will do a great job but everyone needs a backup, right?????
The only consideration to getting a DFX when you own an MXT is that they would share search coils. Having owned a number of XLT's and 7 MXT's now, the MXT Pro being the last, I like the compliment of the XLT & MXT. Different operating frequencies and different field performance that can provide a real advantage when hunting a variety of sites.

Your MXT will work fine for relic hunting, and I like the 5.3 Eclipse coil on an MXT for hunting in heavily littered sites. For moderate trash to more open areas, I use the XLT. My 950 coil stays on a spare lower rod and I use it at the beach (1 or 2 times a year), but prefer the Royal 800 8" coil for open grassy lawns and such. Most of the time, like for use today, mine has the 6

I started out in 2005 with the XLT and used it for a year it a really good detector in 2006 moved up to the DFX it is a little harder detector to learn took me about three months to get it set up to the way that I want it . I used it for 5 years the best program that I used on the DFX is Larry program .Can get the program on the DFX forum . So I would say if it was me I would go with the DFX it has more to offer . But if you want the best detector of all of them get the V3i and use the MXT as back up I moved up to the V3i in July and Love it . It is the really ez detector to use and learn. :twodetecting::whites::beers:

Some people will argue that it is a totally different detector, but the design engineer wrote an early write-up and claimed the DFX was an XLT that had some re-work done to it and was, in essence, sort of an 'improved' XLT.

I believe that White's has retracted that early release statement made by Mark Rowan, Monte and they maintain that the DFX is in fact a totally new detector in design and frequencies from the ground up. The only similarities is in the menu style. There is no way you can take a single frequency 6.59 kHz detector and "sort of improve it" into a dual frequency 3 and 15 kHz trailblazer.

I will not waste my time or yours trying to compare the two or even tell you which one you should buy KY PI, both are great detectors each in their own rights. One discontinued and the other is still supporting strong sales and remains the best selling White's detector ever....... the last I heard anyway. The only word of caution I might make is if you choose the DFX, it does have a longer than normal learning curve and does not fit into the "easy to master" class of detector. It is an easy to use machine though.

The DFX has been a well known Jewelry killer, when set up correctly, if that's your type of hunting style .........good luck

Thanks everyone for your input! There really is a lot to consider before getting another machine and in my heart I know that I need to concentrate on TOTALLY learning my MXT PRO because the more I use it the more I realize I haven't mastered it. The DFX using the same coils is a big plus but the longer learning curve gives me pause. I guess another question would be if price was not the primary consideration, what would be the best programable machine to learn on: XLT, DFX or V3i? Does that question make any sense? Especially if you were like me and not the "sharpest Knife in the drawer"?????? Thanks guys!

The XLT would be the easiest programmable to get your feet wet with and you will have a nice single frequency hunting machine. I think the V3i would be next in line to make simple changes and have one of the best and most versatile detectors on the market, You do NOT have to master the V series to get the best from it. Most of the adjustments are for personal preferances and not performance.

Now the DFX is a horse of a different color and to get the best from it you should master all of the features because making one adjustment often affects other adjustments. All adjustments are performance related. Those who mastered the DFX got great depth and made incredible finds with it. Many users did not fully understand the DFX and got frustrated so if you go that route, give yourself at least a year to learn it. It took me a full year to master it and I don't think that I'm a detector dummy.

Here is an option you might not have considered. I would suggest learning your MXT Pro and forget about a backup for now and save your spare dollars for a VX3, all of the power of a V3i with most of the adjustments, not performance related, removed. That way you will be moving up to the top of the line someday and if if you want a backup, you can keep your MXT Pro. The MXT Pro is a very serious detector with punch and I really don't think you need a backup to it and if you do think a backup is necessary, you might consider the standard MXT, interchangeable accessories like coils and SunRay pinpointers, not only for the MXT but the V series too.

Thanks again everyone for your input. Larry, I think the last option you mentioned (which I really have not been considering) may be my best option and will be the way I go. Unless I run across a really great deal on an XLT!!!!
Thanks again!
Bill

I believe in your first post you said you have an MXT? - If that's the case, I would recommend the DFX because your MXT coils can be used on the DFX and with only 5 additional adjustments (XLT 39 adjustments - DFX 44 adjustments) I would think the learning curve for both of these units would be fairly close.

In regards to your other post - if money weren't an issue but you wanted a powerful deep seeking detector that is easy to program - I'd have to say hands down White's new VX3. It has all the power of the V3i, the same frequencies, and the same display but it's a lot easier to operate - and you can use your MXT coils on the VX3.

Hope this helps, at least a little!
Good luck and Good Hunting!
Andrea

I appreciate everyone's input! It is so helpful for inexperienced people like me. I hope everyone has a great Christmas!
Bill