Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

USGS Topos

Bunk

I came across some older topos and have heard that there is more info on older topos than the newer ones, any truth to this? Also, how do you find the value of said maps? Thanks,
Bunk

I have noticed that some topo's have more info on them than others.
For example,Some counties on maps of the same years,show more than others,
Mainly being the houses and churches and schools.
I'm not sure why this is,but it makes it hard to find spots in some areas.
Quadrangle maps are good too,They are usually what you get from the USGS.
MSR Maps will still show old houses on maps.I use it a lot still.
This is the link to it. http://msrmaps.com/default.aspx
Hope this helps some.

Labradorbob

:look:[size=large]i know this is going to sound like conspiracy thinking but my son and i compared old pre 1993 u.s. forest service maps to newer and found a lot of things missing. old mining claims are gone and in their place are new wilderness areas. no prospecting allowed and more control by forest service. also roads have disapeared. we found the roads are still there but no longer on the map ( newer ).we were smart enough through the years to get district ranger maps also. more details. these are the ones not sold to tourist at ranger stations. reminds me of when i was growing up in the 60's a big deal was made on how the city maps of St. Petersburgh ussr were delibeatlt made with false streets and locations on them. in case they were invaded. shows the importance of research of old info.ya can tell the folks in charge of making maps don't metal detect. :)[/size]

Criteria for maps change. Not conspiracy just a changing in mapping priority. Always good to have more than one source of mapping data.