Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Using a Pattern

I wondered how many of you guys out there have used a tight discrimination pattern on your E-trac. I used a tight pattern today with a medium square for pennies, dimes, nickels and quarters and that was it. The rest of the screen was blacked out. This park has been hunted a bunch and I was just looking to surface hunt because there has been some recent activity at it. I had coins jumping out all over the place and allot of them were on top or close to it but I did pull two silver dimes, a 64 rosie and a 44 merc from respectable depths and also got a wheat penny. I think in some cases running a wide open screen might be a bad thing! HH

I have never been a big fan of using a lot of discrimination on any detector. I black out about the bottom third of the screen when I run conductive tones and an open screen when I run 2 tone ferrous audio. I will admit that a few times when clad hunting I use more discrimination but I don't use the E-Trac to hunt clad. I have other detectors I use for that. You should run your detector however it makes detecting most enjoyable for you. It looks like your tight pattern paid off for you and that's what it is all about. The great thing about E-Tracs and Explorers is that there is no one best way to run them. I know several E-Trac owners and I don't think any two of them run the same set-up.

i use a tight patt. and conductive with long tones and a sens of 23 or more when coin shooting an old site that has loads of iron. once im sure i have most coins i then open up my screen some and hunt for the relics. once iv done that i do it all over again in ferrous.

You will find that the ferrous number changes greatly with depth, whilst the conductivity number stays more consistent. eg shallow target 12 ferrous 34 conductivity same target at depth can read 15 ferrous 34 conductivity. If you use a tight pattern and dont allow for the variation at depth you will miss out. seeya Neilo

Just to follow up on Neilo's comment.

I've seen FE numbers drop to FE20 on deep coins, some on this site have seen FE 24 on deep coins. I've also seen the FE numbers go the other way to, into the single digits, and as you dig closer it returns to the FE12 line.

But the tones are always good!

A good 1st minor change I'd suggest is to open each coin's CO slot down to FE24, this will cater for the deep coins and coins on their side better. I'm sure this will improve your finds.

Nice finds!

Cheers,
Greg

I have my FE # opened up to include 27 (28 on down-"black").---I have dug some deep coins that hit around Fe 24.---One (& only one very deep coin, a dime) that hit on FE 27--I don't iknow if it was a fluke or not but that's where the FE # was.--My conductive #'s bounce a little (but not too terribly bad) on the really deep coins.--The tones are very good though and that's what is important to me as I hunt by tones & consistancy of tones.--I'm a little hesitant to black out anything above FE 28 because I'm afraid I'm going to miss a deep, difficult target if I do that.---At times I do seem to get quite a bit of iron falseing around the FE 27 area.------Del