Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Using CTX for Civil War relic hunting

TechBill

Administrator
Staff member
Findmall Sponsor
I been using several different Minelab detectors over the years since late 80's and early 90's so I know Minelab machine very well and the quality of it. My last machine was an Explorer then I stopped detecting in 2008 or so due to new job and I went back to college to finish up my science degree. (I am fifty year old if your wondering). I sold my Explorer to focus on other thing but I still kept my Excalibur. I would never sell my Excal!

Anyway last summer I starting to notice I have more time on my hand to go back into relic hunting again so I purchased CTX 3030. I tried it a few times at hunting locally for some coins to learn and get the feel of the machine but I notice there seem to be more bell and whistles on the CTX than there was on the Explorer so I probably need your inputs on helping me decide what best mode for me to hunt relic in.

I live in southwest Missouri so our soil down here is red clay so it pretty saturated with mineralization which null the machine out at almost every other sweep. I would find .59 cal bullets at 4 inches with Minelab and before I dig I had my friends bring their other brand machine to swing over the target and it would sound trash or give no tones. That how bad our ground are that why I stick with Minelab brand all those years. Other brand may be deeper in good soil or sandy beaches but it isn't worth a crap in our famous Missouri red clay soil. ;)

On Sovereign and Explorer I avoided using auto sens but after reading some posts here it seem auto sens is the way to go? What does it mean when I see post like "auto +3" etc. The FE CE or CO settings etc. Is that only effect the tone it play when it detect the target right? I am Deaf and only need one tone for every target so I don't need to worry about that correct?

I am primary a relic and water hunter so I don't really hunt for coins unless I am really bored or the places I go relic hunt is all overgrown for the season.

I am still trying to catch up on reading in this forum but any tips you can offer on using CTX for Civil war relic hunting in bad ground will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you for your feedback!

Bill

There are plenty of posts that talk about auto sens., just use the search function on the top of the page. The Fe/CO numbers only give the user the probable ID of the object, and yes they do give different tones, depending on what mode you are in. However, you should still learn what numbers indicate certain targets to help you eliminate digging tons of trash targets. Auto sens. is easier to use because it automatically adjusts for ground conditions. In manual sens. you will have to adjust manually (duh) and since you say you have bad ground, that might be tough to do. Letting the machine balance "on the go" in auto is easy and gives you a nice steady threshold and minimal chatter. But since you are relic hunting you will also want minimal discrimination as well to find valuable iron relics. Keep practicing and tweaking settings to find the best set of settings for the soil in your area.