Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Using Nox in freezing temps?

Just wondering if there are any issues with the LCD screen in sub freezing temps. Don't want to damage my machine by stupidity. Consensus of opinion please.

Thanks for the response Dan. I haven't been using the machine due to some past experience with LCD screens in low temps. Prefer operations in temps 40 + range, not only for the machine but my poor old body, however the itch is still there. Grinding is finding!

I noticed yesterday my screen was blank for a few seconds during startup then it appeared only low 30’s

I keep the Equinox 800 in the house and have not had a problem with it starting up in 28F temp or using it in 41F salt water for up to 4 hours. Ice did form on the screen area. A dip in the water washed it away. I have used my Excalibur with ice all over the control tube to the point I could not turn it off until I deiced the detector back at the car.

Although I rarely need it in this area of Georgia. I bungee a small hand chemical hand warmer to the detector head. John in Edmonton recommended this. Up his way I imagine he uses a lot of hand warmers. Weird but they are made in Georgia.

woody said:
Although I rarely need it in this area of Georgia. I bungee a small hand chemical hand warmer to the detector head. John in Edmonton recommended this. Up his way I imagine he uses a lot of hand warmers. Weird but they are made in Georgia.
Someone figured out how to package you'alls warm southern hospitality!!
Funny thing about hand warmers, and I have used a lot of them they will cause a noticeable amount of interference. whether it is because of high sensitivity or the wireless headphones I didn't take the time to diagnose, probably because I was freezing. It must come from the chemical reaction. Anyone else notice this phenomenon?
Jeff

I leave my detector in my suv in freezing temps and the other day screen was blank for a few seconds after switching on but was fine after afew seconds

No troubles so far for me. I've had mine out in freezing temps and no troubles with operation or the display. Ground was a different story. I do have my own limits in cold weather where the FUN factor leaves.

Rich (Utah)