Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Using the GPS function

maansman

Hi Everyone -

Since owning my detector for about a year, I used the GPS function once. I just don't find it that useful....not saying it's not, but I find more work in setting it than just going to the spot....what are your thoughts? Am I the only one, or maybe you have some ideas I can better utilize it?

I guess it's part of the "future of discovery", but to an old time hunter like myself, it'll never be used.

I have only ever used it just to check it out for fun..But I have used it as a selling point in talking to landowners how I can keep track of my finds and let them see where things were found...but no land owner has ever taken me up on that offer.
maybe if I was out in the West in the desert or deep woods somewhere I would utilize it, but where I detect is never really that huge an area that I couldn't remember where I found something in the first place

I use the GPS feature on almost every hunt and really like it. In the past, I always used a handheld GPS unit along with ExpertGPS to map nearly all of my finds and hunts. Keeping detailed maps has helped me find many relics and coins that I think I would have missed otherwise. The GPS feature helps a lot, but the XChange2 software, is still way behind the other mapping programs available. You can see several suggestions I made to Minelab posted elsewhere on this forum. If Minelab would just work on it, they could really improve this feature, but they probably never will as most people don't seem to see a need for it.

I started using paper topo maps years ago to map all the caves and other areas I used to explore. I later copied all this data to various mapping programs, and have found it a very valuable tool to use while doing research. Taking the time to do research and learning to using GPS and mapping is as important as learning the detectors in my opinion. I have found a lot of great treasures with my detectors, but I would have found very few if I had relied solely on chance. Research is the key and GPS units along with mapping programs makes it much easier. Start using the CTX GPS and ask a lot of questions, and maybe Minelab will make some much needed improvements.

On a daily basis...no. There could be times though...especially when you have not been to a particular site in a while, that you would want to know where youve been or found a particular item etc. My memory is pretty good but for others...it might be useful to help them remember.

It would have been nice to have a built in camera so when you found the item, and then you press the button to log the findpoint....a pic of your item would log logged at the same time.

I will use this feature some....but not on a general hunt. I have a hard enough time...just trying to find the "ON" button. :tongue:

Sometimes, I have used mine for new sites. I marked off where an old road went to a house from a map. It got me in the ball park. I also use it in a park close to home to track where I have been and what I found. This identified an old path of coins that I went back to and pulled a few more goodies.

I know make sure I push the target button now before I dig then save if it

I use the GPS feature on every hunt, not only is it very helpful seeing how many times ive covered certain areas and where but also use it to keep track of the number of hours I've hunted with it.

I also discovered that when I look at a Waypoint or find point by clicking on it that the image presented on the map can be older by a number of years and this quirky coincidence has helped me actually be able to see exactly where the concession stand, dugouts and baselines of my old baseball field that I played on in my youth are because in the map image they are still there, even though they were removed some years ago. I've posted about that elsewhere on this forum but it can be very handy in some places that have changed in the last 3-5 years. Pretty cool discovery for me.

McClod
I believe you are seeing the Google Earth time slider function. I am surprised Exchange is choosing the older imagery...
[attachment 286372 1.JPG]

I'm glad it is using some older images, only uses older when actually clicking a find or waypoint. Rest of the time its the latest imagery. But its actually been helpful at times bit only for locations that have had fairly recent changes.

I think about it every once in a while, but haven't. I remember where I find the good stuff. However, old age is catching up with me so maybe I should start using the GPS.