Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Using Threshold Variation to hunt deep targets....

IDXMonster

I’m assuming this would be something that might be used by someone looking for ANYTHING? Am I correct in also assuming that there would be basically no conclusive TID or audio associated with such targets? If it’s one thing I have little to no experience with,it is hunting with Threshold,but if there is no information offered on such targets except for the slight rise and fall of the “hum” then it’s something I won’t pursue further. The strongest point of the CTX for me has been it’s superior TID at depth,but reaching TOO far is also possible within my scheme of hunting....however,I can see where this method may be very useful in the relic world. Perhaps locating the target via this method and then engaging PP on that potential target may bring up useful information?
Even after several hundred hours behind the wheel and 3 straight years of phenomenal success(IMO), I have SO much to learn...

You answered your own ? . The only place that this is used with good success would be salt water most small iron rust away and targets are not as plentifully as dirt.
The only way to get rid of the small targets that mimic deep targets is to dig a 6 inch plug if it's in the plug it's most likely junk if not in the plug now you can check id and trace because you have 6 inches less dirt .

Time comsuming but if depth is your goal then this is a option .

You are right on the ctx being the best ider out there at depth in many differant soils but not all .It seems everbody wants depth lot's of detectors are deeper than the ctx but the ctx will id to depth where as others are just a guessing game .So if your guessing what's the point that leads use to dig baby dig it all .sube

This method of hunting is extremely site specific. All the faults of it you mention are accurate. This is a way to hunt for caches in UK and anywhere else. It is often a iron hunt but you know that when you start. There are lots of posts here and other forums about doing without it. The threshold on a machine is just more information and I believe hunting without it is a mistake. I have dug good and excellent targets with just a threshold drop. The good targets were usually dug because there had been another good target dug nearby at a regular depth
with tone and TID. Then while looking for more I would dig the nearby threshold drops. I've also dug large and small pieces of crap at big depth. If you don't dig deep Crap every once in a while you are missing out on some good targets. Really Really hate to dig Crap? Then just stick to the targets everyone can find.

Mr. Yerks (CT Todd) pretty much covered everything I would have mentioned...
(I'm too slow, I guess.)

Let the site...and your finds at that site...dictate your strategy when going after deep fringe signals.
If I'm hunting a site that has produced deep Seated, or Barbers...then I'm digging a LOT more junk that day.
(...and hopefully a couple more silver goodies as well.)
:)
mike

Mr. Yerks ?? None of you want my dad on here. Don't make me get him.

Lol! Yeah,that weirds me out too when someone uses “Mr.” on me and I’m 50 for corn sake!
Thanks for the replies and experiences from everyone. I’m glad that people do indeed see the value in the Threshold itself as I have, even with the Explorer. Others find it to be an annoyance and set it to silent,while I find having it humming IS another facet of information to be used. How WELL I can use it in the future...who knows. In my past hunting it’s only been used to really monitor target density when running discrimination. I do have sites where very old,very deep targets have come from,and common sense would say that there are deeper ones yet. If I can’t access them through the means of clean TID and audio,then it’s time to slowly put the “toes in the water”,so to speak.
Being as it’s getting down to 10 degrees or so tonight here,it won’t be anytime soon. But I’ll make sure to report back on my findings,or lack thereof...
Oh yeah...Happy New Year!

There is always something to learn if you are open minded enough to try it IDX. These thought provoking discussions are what I love about forums. I think the threshold drop is a function that applies to all threshold detectors. If you want to try a variation of this concept try pitch hold where the threshold tone changes to become the same as target id. With a little practice you will notice a threshold change on targets out of range {deep} or off to the side. I like this in open fields or quiet beaches.

Jeff

Without a doubt Jeff,and the thing that always makes me “branch out” is the fact that unless I want to drive 2-3 hours in hopes of ground that hasn’t been decimated,I NEED to become “better”. So many people seem to use only a certain percentage of a machines capabilities and then move along to different sites or machines. I want to learn to squeeze EVERY iota of performance out of not only my machine,but myself as well.
This year I will be revisiting my trusted Explorer2 more often,and along with the CTX perhaps understand better what it is that CAN be done to make my local sites more viable.