Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

USMC INDIAN WARS ERA EAGLE ANCHOR DOMED BRASS VEST BUTTON

Hi everyone! I have found what I believe is a USMC INDIAN WARS ERA EAGLE ANCHOR DOMED BRASS VEST BUTTON found at a park in San Diego in an area known to have been under the command of Colonel Joseph H. Pendleton. The closest button that matches mine is on EBAY. However I believe that my button maybe older than the one on EBAY as on the back of my button the edges are crimped all the way around. If anyone my have any info on this button I would appreciate it. I am enclosing a couple of photos. Any and all comments would be greatly appreciated! Also note the backside has HORSTMANN PHILADELPHIA.

Here another style found in Georgia at an old school. i think your is older, My button has to be WW1.

Howdy Mstreasureseeker--

It's difficult for me to read the complete lettering on the backmark. According to the Backmark Information in Albert's Record of American Uniform and Historical Buttons, the following backmarks and the years of production are as follows:

W. H. Horstmann Phila. .............. Late 1820's - 1850
W. H. Horstmann & Sons Phila. ...........1843 - 1863
W. H. Horstmann & Co. Phila. .............1864 - 1866
Horstmann Bros. & Co. Phila. .............1859 - 1863
Horstmann Philadelphia.........................1893-1935

There were backmarks and years of production from New York that I did not include.

I hope that this helps in positively identifying your button. Good find!

Happy Hunting,
Blind Squirrel

That's good info to know, thanks.

Thanks for the help. I wonder, if there's no back mark then what year do you think.

Howdy Ken--

I am by no means a button expert but I do have a pretty good assortment of reference books to help identify finds. The best that I can tell is that your button is MC 12, listed on page 111 of Albert's. Your lack of backmark question has me stumped. I've heard though from veteran relic hunters that many of the unmarked military buttons, post 1850, were manufactured by Scovill or Waterbury. I'm sorry that I can't provide a positive year of manufacture. Very neat find!

Happy Hunting,
Blind Squirrel

Blind Squirrel, as well as Ken in Georgia, mgtmadness, Larry (IL),

Thank you so much for responding as well as the comments as I really appreciate them. The backmark states HORSTMANN at the top and Philadelphia at te bottom. Philadelphia is spelled from left to right with the full spelling. Blind squirrel thanks for taking you're time to print and enclose it within this forum. THAT WAS FANTASTIC OF YOU TO DO! Looks like #14 seems to be the closest. Actually I believe that this is the one. Does you're Allen's book state the year of # 14? Where do you mind if I ask did you get this book and
what is the title of this book? So so cool! Would the backside of # 14 show in this book? Cool so cool! I am so excited that I found this button. History is so very exciting! Wow I dug up something from the Indian Wars in San Diego! We in San Diego very rarely find a mercury dime ket alone an indian war button. Thanks to all who responded.

mstreasureseeker

aka

Toni

Howdy Mstreasureseeker--

Happy to help! I would agree that MC 14 is a match for your button. The backmark indicates that your button was produced between 1893 and 1935. You have "touched" history with your find! That's the allure of this hobby.

My button book is titled: "Record of American Uniform and Historical Buttons Bicentennial Edition" by Alphaeus H. Albert. If you Google the title you will find it available for $45, free shipping.

Permit me to recommend an excellent source for treasure leads: "A complete State Map Guide to Lost, Buried & Sunken Treasure UNITED STATES TREASURE ATLAS" by Thomas P. Terry. It's a 10 volume set which includes listings of every county in all 50 states. I noticed over 4 pages dedicated to San Diego County (Ghost Towns, Battle Fields, Lost Mines, Spanish Gold etc)! Best of luck.

Happy Hunting,
Blind Squirrel

Thanks for all your information,