Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

V3+1 and DX-1 - odd pinpointing at times

I have a V3 that was upgraded to an i. The unit is coupled with a Sunray DX-1 probe and I do enjoy it much more than the other probes because I never have to remove those lovely wireless headphones and lay them in the dirt for starters. One thing that does happen that I find very odd is, once I have pinpointed a target with the coil, I put down the detector, kneel by the target site, unclip the probe and place it on the ground, I then throw the switch for the probe. I then manually reach up and push the trigger on the detector and it is a crap shoot how the detector will respond. At times it will be very dull and it takes quite a bit get it to react to a target. Other times it is hypersensitive and will begin humming no matter where I point it. Other times it is what I consider normal - not reacting unless near a target, and quiet when it is not near a target. I can leave the probe on the ground and get this response with about any pull of the trigger so it is not anything on the ground causing it. I suspect it is the coil settings for the 10 DD that doesn't understand the probe now hanging off then end of the loop circuit. But it is at times maddening. I will normally probe a bit before digging and it helps me keep my plug size reasonable. About 90% of the time I am spot on the target with the DD, but the probe helps. Once I open the hole, I lock the probe on pinpoint and it will exhibit the same behavior. BTW, this also happens with the DD when pinpointing. One pull, gives me one thing and another pull something else.

I also need to reground balance after every dig it seems. Should I consider loctrak as well?

Two additional points. The probe appears to be physically fine. No broken or frayed wires and it operates normally with no signs of an intermittent connection. Second, my probe is the newer black wand and not the older white wand model. I understand the newer model is more stable.

Thanks,

The Shark

It might be laying the probe on the ground is the problem. I hold mine in the air while flipping the switch and find the target with the V in discriminate mode. Only when I want to really narrow it down to exactly where the target is will I put the V in pinpoint.

when using pinpoint with the probe be carefull to hold it in the same spot on the shaft then trigger in air, dont lock pinpoint, some retriggering may be necessary at times for a predictable response. thats what works well for me.

kyledfx said:
when using pinpoint with the probe be carefull to hold it in the same spot on the shaft then trigger in air, dont lock pinpoint, some retriggering may be necessary at times for a predictable response. thats what works well for me.

Ouch, are you saying not to use locked pinpoint. OK I get it, you are the dude on that Nationwide insurance commercial that does the intense shadow puppets to describe their combined policies right?! You know the guy with the 3 or 4 hands?!? :heh: I am just normal folk and really need both hands to dig so probing with one and triggering with the other really slows me down. Ok, I'm just bustin your butt a little on that, but I get your point and I do use the 2 handed probing method at times on targets I may not need to dig. I am going to trigger it in the air in the future and see if it helps. I am not sure if I like the initial targeting in discriminate just yet. I have tried and had better/faster luck in pinpoint taking full advantage of the VCO tone. It works well, it is just in consistent on the trigger pulls is all. In the air should help.

I bought my DX-1 used and got no manual for it. So I have had to wing it on a few things when it came to mounting and operating it. I have noticed that SunRay does not have a download area for manuals on their site. They mention a side mount accessory for the DX-1 but there is no info on the site - sigh. Not the best application of on-line tech there folks. You have a great product, pleasework on your web presence a little bit.

Thanks for the replies folks. You're a good bunch here!!

The Shark

Why not lock pin point? I've never had a set of instructions either. ROB

There is no problem locking in pinpoint except you are in All Metal. I use the DX-1 in Discriminate mode especially when around iron in the same hole. The DX-1 will ignore the nails and tells me where the coin is. It is just a matter of preference.

if pinpoint is locked sensitivity seems to fade at times on smaller targets, thats all. got mine new, instructions dont have much to say.

V3I And OR DX1 Problem
Hey guys and gals,I have the v3I with the dx1 probe and have had no problems at all unti just recentlly.I am not sure if the problem is the probe or the machine.this package has been runnin together fine for a couple of months now.

After i locate a target and pen point it with the Detector,Then i kneel down to penpoint with the DX1,as long as after the machine is locked into penpoint the detector is not moved at all there is no problems.With the very slightest bump or movement of the machine the backgroung noise that you here when in penpoint, it goes away totally and the Dx1 will not pick anything up.Each target that I penpoint,I am haveing to clear the pen point(click the toggle 2-3 times)and relock it in pen point atleast 3 times most times more. Any insight as to why this is happening would be great.I use the 5.3 coil,And I did have Programs that our fellow FORUM users have built,But I even went as far as doing a HARD RESET all the way back to factory settings.THANKS FOR READING AND FOR ANY HELP YOU MAY HAVE.

ROBERT@WHITES
sounds like your DX-1 is going bad...if you take the DX-1 off the machine does the V3i work perfectly ??

the SunRay DX-1 carries a full one year warranty...so you may wish to contact SunRay (Ralph)

I'll PM you their contact info.

RALPH@Sunray,,There is no problems with the DX1 ,If you lock the V3I in Penpoint the V3I acts funny the probe was not desighned to be locked in penpoint.

DEOLSLYFOX@whites
I'm with Robert. My V3i and VX3 both run flawlessly with the DX-1 probe

ROBERT@WHITES
Originally Posted by oklahomadigger
Hey thank robert,yes if i take it off it works flawlessly.I did talk to Ralph and he seems to think that there is no problem that this is normal.

Nope...that is NOT normal...I've been using the same DX-1 on my V3i since the V3's came out back in March 2009 and I've never had any issues of that sort...and I've used it on the DFX300..MXT..MXT Pro without any issues whats-so-ever.

MY REPSONSE(oklahomadigger)
I also think it isthe DX1,
But when the ralph tells me that you arent suppose to lock it in pen point mode that the machine does weird things when locked what am i to do?
When he tells me it was just by accident that for the last 2 months that when it was locked in was just by chance,lol my hands are tied.

oklahomadigger said:
V3I And OR DX1 Problem
Hey guys and gals,I have the v3I with the dx1 probe and have had no problems at all unti just recentlly.I am not sure if the problem is the probe or the machine.this package has been runnin together fine for a couple of months now.

After i locate a target and pen point it with the Detector,Then i kneel down to penpoint with the DX1,as long as after the machine is locked into penpoint the detector is not moved at all there is no problems.With the very slightest bump or movement of the machine the backgroung noise that you here when in penpoint, it goes away totally and the Dx1 will not pick anything up.Each target that I penpoint,I am haveing to clear the pen point(click the toggle 2-3 times)and relock it in pen point atleast 3 times most times more. Any insight as to why this is happening would be great.I use the 5.3 coil,And I did have Programs that our fellow FORUM users have built,But I even went as far as doing a HARD RESET all the way back to factory settings.THANKS FOR READING AND FOR ANY HELP YOU MAY HAVE.

ROBERT@WHITES
sounds like your DX-1 is going bad...if you take the DX-1 off the machine does the V3i work perfectly ??

the SunRay DX-1 carries a full one year warranty...so you may wish to contact SunRay (Ralph)

I'll PM you their contact info.

RALPH@Sunray,,There is no problems with the DX1 ,If you lock the V3I in Penpoint the V3I acts funny the probe was not desighned to be locked in penpoint.

DEOLSLYFOX@whites
I'm with Robert. My V3i and VX3 both run flawlessly with the DX-1 probe

ROBERT@WHITES
Originally Posted by oklahomadigger
Hey thank robert,yes if i take it off it works flawlessly.I did talk to Ralph and he seems to think that there is no problem that this is normal.

Nope...that is NOT normal...I've been using the same DX-1 on my V3i since the V3's came out back in March 2009 and I've never had any issues of that sort...and I've used it on the DFX300..MXT..MXT Pro without any issues whats-so-ever.

MY REPSONSE(oklahomadigger)
I also think it isthe DX1,
But when the ralph tells me that you arent suppose to lock it in pen point mode that the machine does weird things when locked what am i to do?
When he tells me it was just by accident that for the last 2 months that when it was locked in was just by chance,lol my hands are tied.

YEE HA! That was as clear as mud. But the finger pointing comes through crystal clear.

In the end I can live with it. The V3i is a great machine, and the DX-1 is a great add-on. They just do not work perfectly together at all times and that is understandable due to all the variables at play. I can make them work. Triggering the probe when it is not on the ground seems to help but the trigger pull is still inconsistent. Sometimes hypersensitive, and other times very dull, and some times quite normal. I can beat and bang the probe and machine all I want and it does not change until I re-trigger. Not that I try to abuse either mind you.

It is important to note that when I am using the 10 DD triggering the pinpoint also exhibits the same behavior and requires another trigger pull to correct, but it is not as pronounced as when I am using the probe. I wonder if my trigger is a little shaky.......still under warranty but I would hate to be without the machine to have it looked at considering I use it 3 to 4 times a week.

The Shark

im glad ralph agrees, you guys had me wondering. ralph is great ive had him help me and a friend with technical issues on her machine over the phone, i would trust ralph. also hot settings seem to elevate the odd behavior.

oklahomadigger said:

I talked to Ralph and said he will try to duplicate the problems next week. Ralph also said;

As for the "quote" from me - that is not what I told the customer who called. I said that I preferred using the trigger pull rather than the trigger locked forward as possible de-tuning might affect performance with the probe. If that is the case, then the DX-1 is not the problem. I did not tell him that the probe was not designed to be locked forward.

I don't use the analysis screens so my trigger forward goes into locked pinpoint and that's what is use when digging to free up my hand. ROB

I might point out that there is no difference between pinpoint and lock pinpoint other than you do not have to hold the trigger.

i just find in my area finding pesky .22 short cartridges and such sometimes requires multiple triggering, i think detuning is the issue in soil that is tough to get a good probe threshhold.

Wow that may be a thought if I understood that post correctly. Rob, did you say you have your trigger programmed on forward click to lock pinpoint? If I could do it, I would love to reverse the programming of my trigger. Pull and hold for analyze, and push forward to lock pinpoint. That would work much better for my use. I do like the polar plot and I do like to use the pinpoint with the probe when down in a hole. Assuming I could retain the multi-pull to clear screens that would be great! :clapping:

The Shark

You can't do what you want without a mod to the switch. To do what you want you need to switch 2 wires on the switch and that requires soldering.

I don't use the analysis screens. They don't give me any additional information. If I pull the trigger it pinpoints. When I push it forward it locks it in pinpoint when I am using my DX1. Of course this takes no mods. ROB