Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

V3 at the beach.... mixed feelings and back pain

jbow

I tried it in both the dry sand and in the surf and wet sand using a V-rated 950 coil. It worked very well in the dry sand but was a little jumpy in and out of the water. I was using a modified salt program. I could run the disc sens in the 80s and the RX gain a little higher than I usually can. It was easy enough to GB but the weight/balance is just a little too much for me and my old back. When I can use it on grass it is much better. I haven't found much, there is new sand on the beach evidenced by a 2' drop off at the high tide line. I mostly hunted along there, where the water has washed away the sand and up in the dry sand where people sit and play. It has been too rough to risk much in the surf and I think for this trip and for the beach in general I am finished with the V3, it is just too heavy for me if I have to keep the coil lifted or deal with the uneven sand from footsteps. I think the V3 probably isn't the best choice for senior citizens or for anyone with back problems, especially upper back problems... for younger and stronger hunters i'd see no problem. That is only my opinion though and I still like the V3 and will upgrade to the i soon...

So I switched to my old beach buddy the SovereignGT, chestmounted with a binocular harness (Cabela's Pro Binocular harness) and everything is right with the world. I have no problem swinging it with the 10" Tornado coil and it is more stable in and out of the water than the V3 is... next year I am going to have an Excalibur.

I also have my F75 LTD with me and will be trying it probably starting Monday... but it is hard to not just use the GT because it is such an awesome beach machine.

Now if only square tabs and Bud Light caps were worth good money... i'd be in high cotton!

Julien

Yea, my V3i bothers my back too. Have you considered a support strap system or the hip mount kit from Whites?

According to Carl at Whites, the v3 will pick up the aluminum box hanging in front of you and cause interference.

I Also have the GT, which is a great Beach Hunter, but it's very heavy, and I find it cumbersome to hip/chest mount the Gt.

But never tried the binocular strap thing?

I have been having very good luck wet / dry Beach hunting with my V3i. Very surprised to be finding some deep coins in the wet salt sand.

The V3i has been staying very stable, it's funny I just run the C& J program (no salt beach program) with the gains / disc turn down

The V3i falsed on me only 2 times on a 4 hour hunt.

To be honest I can go 4-5 hours tops, and I'M tired, regardless of the detector's weight.

jbow I know the feeling. My shoulder and lower back give me problems everyday and it takes the fun out of the hunt.
I purchased the E-Z Swing harness and it helped me alot, it helps transfers the weight of the detector to the shoulders and waist.
It may be worth checking into.
Anyways Good Luck and Happy Hunting, Hope the Back gets Better!!!

The swing harness is AWESOME, even if you don't stay with the V it will make your other detectors swing better too.

I don't use it anywhere but at the beach, but you really need it there because of dealing with the sand. It makes the day so much more enjoyable and I know I get more hunting in because of it. I would use it on land, too, if I was doing a marathon session.

It makes all the difference, it might make all your hunting a little easier...not just with the V and not just at the beach! :)

Taterhead

>>I haven't found much, there is new sand on the beach evidenced by a 2' drop off at the high tide line.<<

"New Sand" NOT ! ! ! When the wave action moves sand from the beach...that CUT area is the place to hunt!!!
Work from the Bank/cut down to the water. As the sand moves out--all the coins/rings are left behind.

Good Luck

Jerry

Yeah, I thought we were going to get some erosion from TD Bonnie but it seems to have fallen apart, still there will be some storms today and maybe tides a little higher than usual, there looked to be a few places where the water had come up on the dry sand more than usual. I've only seen two othe detectors on the beach and neither knew what they were doing. Both were way up high on the beach, swinging fast with a swing that resembled a watermelon rind... low in the middle and hight on the ends.. and moving FAST... One this AM was using some White's and the other was using some grey and yellow waterproof box with an 8" coil. Low tide is 8:30 CST this evening and I am going to hit it starting around 6 or 7 PM unless it is stormy... I'm really looking toward Monday when the crowds thin. Low tide is going to be around 8 or 9 PM all next week... good time, not so hot! I'll use my headlamp.

This is really a family beach, not many big rollers come here but i'll still find some toe rings, laff.

J

Try the Swingy Thingy or a Hip Stick. They will really relieve the stress on the back, shoulders, and arms. PM or email me and I will tell you where to find both. I like the Swingy Thingy the best as it is easiest to adjust.

I may try one but really I have little problem with the V3 for park and lawn hunting... it's just when I have to keep the coil lifted... besides the SovereignGT does a better job on the beach IMO... others may disagree. I am thinking of asking Carl or someone else at White's to help me with some longer wiring between the box and the pod. I am thinking of trying to find a plexi chassis box about the same size as the V3 box, reverse shield it and see if it can be chestmounted. It should fit right into the hipmount box that comes with the Sovereign. Maybe with the plexi box and some reverse shielding the box (chestmounted) would not interfere with the coil... that would be an awesome setup for me... we'll see though. I do think it can be done, heck anything can be done if enough money or time is thrown at it.

I may try the V3 again because it is like a siren... caling to me with it's curves and colors and it's sweet tones....

Probably use the GT mostly though because it is comfortable and misses nothing on the beach and you never have to ground balance a Sovereign... dry sand, wet sand, saltwater, red clay... no GB needed, just swing and it responds. You only have to adjust the sensitivity... it is so simple.

I also want to see how the F75 LTD handles the wet sand and water. Several several years ago I brought the T2 to the beach and it worked like a charm on the dry sand and wet sand but overloaded if I put the coil in the saltwater... however at that time I did not know to manually lower the GB to 1 or 2.... now I do.

Thanks for the help. If I get a Swingy Thingy it will be from David Keith at Dixie-metal-detectors

Julien