Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

V3 depth on silver dimes-which coil do you like?

rockpup1

Was wondering what coil hits deep on silver coins? I plan on getting a V3 and want the deepest coil I can get.The 950 concentric is great for parks and trash but want a good deep relic/silver coin coil?Silver coins more than anything?

Any thoughts on aftermarket coils -SEF type coils- they sound deep?

I have the V3i and I am using the 10x12 SEF and I am getting target in the 8 to 12 inch range. Have also used the stock coil which is the 10 in D2 have got deep coins with it to. I my self life the 10 x12 SEF. I do alot of hunting in large open areas:twodetecting::whites::beers:

I don't hunt dimes per say but I do get small dime sized silver coins.

It really depends on your ground conditions I would say. The larger coils in clean ground will find the dime deeper most of the time but there are factors like EMI (for the larger DD coils) and mineralization (for concentric) to consider. In ground with more trash the smaller coils (like the 4X6 or 6X10 will see in between the trash better.) That said, the V3i is very very interesting in how it can pull coins out of trash with higher recovery delay settings (slower recovery speeds), especially in correlate (and then mostly in mineralized ground or ground contaminated with iron - not in clean ground). Also, correlate seems to do better on the high conductors - of which silver is I think the strongest.

Stock 10"D2 coil - Does great in mineralized ground. Very deep. But can't perform as well in heavy iron or heavy trash. Not good around lots of EMI. I like using this coil in up to just under medium level iron/trash with a high recovery delay (90 for me - and running correlate, others go to 110 or so). This is as large of a coil as I have.

6X10 - Best all around coil in moderate to almost heavy trash/iron. Not as deep as the stock coil at all.

4X6 (or 5" excellerator) - incredible in heavy trash/iron and you will still get some depth. Maybe 5" - 8"? I have the 5" accelerator and it's a bit deeper than the 4X6 I believe.

950 coil - In light to less than medium iron/trash this coil might unmask under trash/iron better than the stock coil - due to the cone shaped field. The DD coil is more of a slice. Look up online the difference in coil design, lots of good visuals and you'll see what I mean. I've read a concentric is about 10% better than a DD coil in cleaner ground. In trashy ground the DD rules, not even close. I always hear this is THE beach coil. Concentric are substantially better in EMI than DD's.

Beyond the coils you want to get your settings right. To start off I would run zero discrimination and put as much iron as you can at tone zero. Run a threshold (and it will null out over iron with iron on zero tone.) You can do a search here to find more info about the best settings for your ground.

Just a start. I'm sure someone will chime in more.

Hope that helped,
EMS

I don't know what the deepest coil is but I use the SEF 10X12 and it goes as deep as I want to dig. The 12X15 and 15X18 would probably go deeper but they come with their own problems, price, weight, etc.

I have both the D2 and the 10x12 SEF. The SEF goes just a bit deeper, but I prefer the D2. For the very small loss in depth I gain a lot of accuracy in frequency response. I have used the larger SEF for a couple of months and had good results, but it seems a little large for the park environment. Really great feedback and information EMS. Thanks

Jack

Wow Thanks for all the input.I think I may go with the whites 12" coil.It would work the best-well I would beleave the ID would be better.

I had a 5" excelerator coil on my mxt and it worked very well-6-8" depth.

I will be buying the V3 for larger search area's and deep silver.

I have a gold bug pro which is great for trashy parks but I have a park i know still has deeper coins I would like to search with a large coil.I have cleared most of the trash/not so deep coins.Need to get the coins deeper down.I been detecting this park myself for years now.Targets are slim but still find some good stuff.
The soil in this park is very tame and constant.I had a spectrum with a 950 coil worked great. Need more depth just drives me nuts trying to use my Infinium in parks!!

If your soil is tame the 12" will work. Otherwise the 10D2 would be your best bet.