Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

V3 finds deep indian

robertk

The other day I was hunting a site on private property (with permission). The owner told me there had been people "all over that place" with metal detectors before and that I probably wouldn't find anything. But *I* hadn't been all over it before, so I was eager to try it out.

I was running the Coin & Jewelry program with the sensitivity cranked up. I got a penny signal that said it was 11" deep. It fluctuated between a high zinc VDI and a low copper VDI, but it consistently said penny at 11".

The deepest penny I'd dug before was 8", so I figured it was probably a crushed can or something. But the analyze looked pretty good, hitting hardest on the middle frequency, and I know that the depth isn't always right, so I dug. And dug. And dug. My digger has a 13" handle, and it was all in, with no manuevering room. I widened the hole a few times to be sure it wasn't off to the side, and still pinpoint said it was dead center of the hole. But my handheld pinpointer still couldn't see it. It was getting dark, so I filled in the hole and figured I'd come back with a shovel in a day or two.

Today I went back with a shovel. I pinpointed again, and dug out the same dirt from before. Pinpoint mode still said it was at the bottom of the hole. So I got the big shovel and pushed it in there. I took out two or three small scoops, pushing the bottom of the hole to about 16". Try pinpoint mode again -- and it's gone. Check the pile of dirt, and I get a nice loud penny signal. A few swipes with the handheld pinpointer, and I find a small metal disc that's so crusted in dirt that I can't even tell what it is.

So I took it home and ran water over it, and slowly the dirt fell off to reveal a 1907 Indian head penny!

This is the first Indian I've found with a metal detector, so I am very happy about it -- and the fact that the V3 gave me a very solid penny signal on a coin that was over a foot deep, that's just marvelous!

I don't have a photo yet -- it's soaking to try to get the crud off. But when it comes clean, I'll post a picture.

(That same site has also given me some bullets, some wheat pennies, an old Jefferson nickel, and a 1912 V nickel. Don't buy it when someone says a place is hunted out.)

VERY very very good. I just bought the 12" for my MXT.
I hope I can hit some deep one's like you did with the V3.
Katz

Damn,that is deep!:thumbup: Ive also heard the "its been hunted out" line at some of the sites Ive been to.Just this morning at one of them,I got into a wrestling match with a tree for a couple wheats.I'll try and post some pics tonight.

Rob what coil did you use??? Mic

It's not in very good condition, and ironically, it looked better before I cleaned it up. It had a black layer that was very hard and crusty, and I think the extra contrast of the black made it look like a better coin than it really was. But this is as clean as I'm comfortable with. I've (separately) tried peroxide, vinegar, and olive oil. The remaining green/black crud seems pretty stubborn, and I don't want to make it any worse by overzealous cleaning.

I found a nice 1920 buffalo nickel at the same site today, and it looks to be in much better shape. I'm kinda reluctant to try to clean it though. Same site also give me a tax token, a gold (plated) ring, and a few other misc things today. Hunted out, my foot. :detecting:

You've inspire me to go to a "hunted out" place today. 10 minutes away and not raining (for now)! Jewelry is my hope so...we'll see?

It means there are really good targets hiding in the trash and iron that others miss. A site is good enough that a lot of people have hunted it and it's reputation is that it is "hunted out"... that's the kind of site I LOVE to hunt. Keep hunting it and you'll keep finding good stuff.... on and on and on.

J