Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

V3 or not to V3 that is the question

Rebel8

Been a White's owner since '79. Several detectors in that span. Currently use xlt.
Very much would like to stay with White's. However, I have searched several forums
for six weeks. The finds for the e-trac as reported are far better than the v-3. What is the
reason? Varied I am sure. (Operator, site, or machine to mention a few variables). If performance is within
5% of e-trac then White's wins out. Anyone else notice the finds in depth, seated coins
are just not being reported. Too soon? Please give your humble opinions.

Now that's a question that has no ending.:stars:.I've have read more guys trading or selling their e-trac for a Spectra than the other way around...and in the next few months it might be the other way around who knows....It's user preference and knowledge....they are both top machines one may have an edge on one thing while the other the same....I'm a Whites user since 77....just never cared for other brands, that's just me and all the years they served me well...It all comes down to experience and etc...In my opinion I've seen some awesome finds with the V3 and have read with great depth..

Well, I have to agree that there hasn't been much posted in the way of depth report comparisons for the V3 and that does make me wonder too. I will be receiving one in the mail in the next few days and after taking time to learn how to use the V3 I'm looking forward to doing some comparisons of depth to my trusty old DFX. Looser of the comparison gets auctioned off.

I bought a V3 about a month ago Used it probably 8 times for about 2 hours each time. It is very good on buttons and coins found 2 large cents and spanish 1/2 reale, I bought it for civil war relics mainly bullets, where I hunt the bullets are deep , have not had chance to use it for bullets because fields are in crops or grass is to high. The issue I have with it is EMI noise, in wide open places away from powerlines and houses you can crank up the gain but close to houses and powerlines this thing has a problem. If you have to turn gain down to 2 or 3 to quiet the noise then you are not getting the depth.If you are hunting for items in the 3-5 inch depth this thing is great . I think I am going back to hunting with my mxt til I get it figured out. Just my humble opinion

I think few, if any, would argue that the V-3 has the distinct advantage on depth, by a couple of inches at least, in my mineralized ground anyway.

A lot depends on what you call finds. Silver coins, Gold rings, gold nuggets, bracelets, necklaces, platinum, relics? Silver, I think E-trac would win right now, but the V3 has been on the market for only.............3 months? I think there are a lot more E-Trac users than V3 users. Give us a year and how about a recount.

As far as finds being reported by e-trac the disproportionate finds seem to be barber and seated coins.
Gold rings reported at larger depths, but they are digging more trash.
I hunt CW sites and relics are my favorite. It is not as clear to me about the v-3 finding CW relics as
there are not many posts.

A year :ranting: I want the V-3 now:veryangry:
Cmon there has to be some pros that have learned the v-3 in 3 months. Convince me.

Thanks for your opinions.

I don't own the V3, but I do have an E Trac. I have tried many different ways of hunting with it (wide open, all metal, heavy disc, barely enough iron disc) and I am luke warm to that machine. I hunt cellar holes mostly, and for me, It does not respond as well as I expected it to. In a park, with occasional iron, it is great. That's where most of your Seated and Barber reports are coming from. I had a virgin cellar hole I pounded with my DFX. Couldn't wait to get at it with the E Trac. Did it find things??? Not much, some low conductive buttons and small scrap metal. Note also, that I probably would have found them with the DFX, but I do not run it in 15Khz, mostly 3khz. I would drool at the chance to get the V3 and have 6 mos experience with it. Just my opinions on it though. I have noticed that some of the original E trac users, have gone back to their Explorers or have posted similar reservations that I posted early on. Here's a hint, never post negatively about a machine when it first comes out, like I did about the E trac.:rofl: Let the dust settle first. I was crucified for it and now most of my observations are coming to light The E Trac is a good solid machine for certain situations. But I don't like it around iron. Just my thoughts on it.

I think if you have been a White's man for 30 years, you are not likely to change your ways. You would have to learn a whole new way to detect with the E-Trac, menu, audio, numbering system, cursor, speed, weight distribution and if you ever need repair, forget about the one week service you are used to. You should be able to make an easy transition from the XLT to the V3, many things will be very familiar to you.

Any crappy detector will pull old coins from an older somewhat virgin site. My Etrac does pull out coins that I missed with my SE's but that's not because it hits deeper than it's predecessor,it does not. In fact, my Etrac goes less deep at most my sites, it does however recover faster than the SE (at some expense of the "cleaner" target ID of the SE). Point being, the advance of the ETrac for me seems to be less masking of co-located targets in trash and iron, it's not because of a depth increase. The V3 may not get better depth or even the same depth as the Etrac and may still out perform it in finds. The reason finds seem to be coming slower with the V may have allot to do with the fact that there is a great deal more to comprehend to just Begin to tap into the V's advantages, with which settings and when to use kind of things. There are thousands of Etrac users that have been using their Etracs for 6-8 months now, and you are trying to compare hundreds of V users who have been using their machines for a couple of weeks. That is just not going to be a fair or realistic comparison, even 6 months from now.:detecting:

I always got better all-around performance from the XLT's I've had than the four DFX's. Maybe due to the higher mineralization I hunt in, but I don't think so.

I still like the XLT. Now, if the decision is going to be based on depth of detection between the DFX and V3, then you might want to pretty up the DFX and part with it now. Use the $$ for fuel and food and make some enjoyable trips with the V3 as it will out-perform the DFX in almost every way. depth for sure.

Monte