Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

V3 settings for UK Roman coins

Roman Virgin

Hello everybody, This question is mainly for New V3 owners in the UK. I have only haf the V3 for 3 weeks and am still experimenting with it. At the moment apart from all the bells and whistles and a lovely colour screen it is not better than my Fisher F75. I know that it is a steep learning curve and that it is probably my fault not the machines thts why I'm asking for help from someone else. The metal content and make up of American coins are different to the UK ones which the machine is based on so the UK resposes to the various fixed programmes are different over here. Also the metal content of Roman coins is also very different with anthing from copper to bronze and silver. Is there anyone out there who can suggest any settings or programmes with adjustments that would help in finding Romans with the V3. The reason that I got the V3 and not the E trak was because of the increased chances of knowing what was in the ground before digging. Like the V3 ad says " See whats in the ground before you dig" I am going to try to create a new programme with a new set of adjustments just for Roman coins and call it obviously "Roman". Over here in the UK it seems that the Minelabs have the edge with depth as they can pick up coins in fields where other detectorists hav e already been and " Cleaned up". Then the E traks go in and with the extra depth pull out coins from that extra depth. I believe that the V3 can do this if not better with all the advantages of all the various settings. But.... MY GOD... it is so complicated to learn. So many things to adjust.I can see why Whites built in a few programmes for the swith on and go people. Otherwise people would give up. SO......is there anyone out there who can suggest any settings for deep small Bronze coins. I really would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks everyone. Geoff. ( Roman Virgin) Devon England.

Excellent question, I too was wondering what testing Whites did for areas outside of the USA. I still don't understand why they still have the American coins on the icons for a detector that is made in the UK (Inverness) for the UK Market, Surely with the advancement of the software it wouldn't be that hard to change. Even just a generic symbol for a coin would be better.

Build a Test garden.
Put your coins in and test away ;-)

Jerry

It is indeed difficult to come up with worthy / accurate icons for UK. The sizes and alloys are so vast! Considering Europe as a whole, one could very well have a generic coin icon for everything that doesn't indicate iron... so the usefulness / point of the icon is greatly diminished.

Expert White's users in UK are still testing / experimenting to be able to suggest good program settings for V3. All ideas, suggestions, discoveries are welcome. Still getting a lot of good feedback from USA users. Still seasoning.

Most USA type coins hold their basic size, shape, and alloy, even over new coin designs. For example, a USA seated dime coin, mercury dime, Roosevelt dime, and modern dime, all indicate basically in the same range. So a dime icon holds true over a vast historical time period (considering USA relatively short few hundred year history). So the benefit of the coin icon holds true in USA to the extent it is useful. On the other hand, if there were common USA dimes that varied over 50% of the VDI scale, a dime icon would not be offered in USA. To be a benefit, the icon needs to hold true at least 50% of the time.

The Spectra V3 offers the individual user the ability to eliminate, choose, rearrange, all the icons, and dictate their exact VDI number ranges. As well as selecting from a library of standard icons, a person can spell out and assign custom (anything) word icons and dictate their specific VDI range. It is tedious, however, doable by most typical high end users. The hope is that eventually this will lead to a useful icon set for UK that can be shared (program transfer). At this point a useful icon set and their exact VDI ranges across Europe are highly debated, argued, not agreed upon.

As far as UK model versions being offered with USA icons on board, we hear this a lot, it is a matter of trying to keep the prices in UK within reason. Software is very expensive. Custom software is difficult considering the relative size of the total UK metal detector buying public. White's will customize only when it is sure to benefit the user. We would be most pleased to hear of specific VDI ranges that hold true across Europe for specific common targets in UK. If the target the icon represents, varies much greater than say 30-40 VDI number, the point of the icon looses a great deal of its value or useful benefit. If the target the icon represents isn't accurate well over 50% of the time, the point of the icon looses a great deal of its value or useful benefit.

Thus, the dilemma with custom UK icons.

Howard

DELTA196 said:
Excellent question, I too was wondering what testing Whites did for areas outside of the USA. I still don't understand why they still have the American coins on the icons for a detector that is made in the UK (Inverness) for the UK Market, Surely with the advancement of the software it wouldn't be that hard to change. Even just a generic symbol for a coin would be better.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Delta.....Whites detectors are NOT made in Inverness, Scotland.....They are all imported from the USA.

Geoff

You really are going to knuckle down and learn the V3, If its too much a learning curve its no good to you.................You will never ever feel you have the right settings for your site if you don't learn the manual. Pick one program...............I.E relic and learn its sounds and only change the sensitivity and use the suggested RX Gain touch nothing else. If you are getting false signals lower the sensitivity until it stops. The V3 has all the programs needed but its only a program.

The relic will do you to start with everything in it can be modified over time.

HH

Toddy

Steve,
I see your point about icons, like you say the option is there to add our own custom text if needed. When the V3 was in development was it tested with any Roman coins or hammered coins?

TheMarshall,
I thought the inverness plant had full manufacturing facilities there, maybe they are just assembled? Anyhow most of the parts probably come from China anyway like all electronic components.

The collection of roman coins and hammered coins we have and test with here in USA are so varied in exact size / alloy, they indicate from low VDI numbers up to high. Soil reaction also varies a great deal with different bronze alloy mixes and thin silver hammered. Here in Oregon, the wet soil typically dissolves copper to unrecognizable coinage in less than 20 years. So undisturbed test gardens are difficult to maintain. Most ancient bronze and hammered are seen as too varied to produce comparable or repeatable results in differing regions.

White's UK does manufacture. However, it is not economical to double up on software development. Kind of like getting married twice to the same woman, once in USA and once in UK, the girls may like it but really it is time/money not wisely spent for newlyweds, at least from a guys perspective!

As well... some of the more expensive manufacturing equipment, to duplicate isn't good business practice. Often sub assemblies are shared, whatever makes the most business sense. If it pays to manufacture it from scratch in UK, it is. If it is more economical to ship sub-assemblies, then they are. White's UK is owned by the same family (White's), so their success is our success. And we are not above borrowing from each other, be it raw material, parts, assembled product, labor, knowledge, talent, or financial. The degree of raw materials, parts, sub-assemblies, and full assemblies, pendulums back and forth with economics and as both separate manufacturing processes evolve. What is dun today can change overnight.

Not to be insulting, however, one must consider the relatively small size of the entire UK Metal Detector Market. The economics are not on the scale one might perceive. Don't want comparisons, however, small segments of the USA market for metal detectors are really huge compared to the entire UK market for numerous reasons. One can accurately say "the majority of Americans, at some point in their life, want to own a metal detector". I don't really know, however, expect that is not true of other world regions, much due to access to searchable land and other restrictions.

Howard

Thanks for your educational and informative posts on the V3 forum Steve.

Steve,
Thanks for taking the time to answer factually and above all honestly. Hoping to upgrade to v3 from DFX later this year.

Great info, Steve. Thanks:thumbup: