Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

V3 to V3I

Just sent my V3 in to be upgraded to a V3I. Guess Ill get the old XLT out for awhile. How is everyone liking the polar plot?

kevinf said:
Just sent my V3 in to be upgraded to a V3I. Guess Ill get the old XLT out for awhile. How is everyone liking the polar plot?

Hi there Kev, from the frozen little island (UK).

Your query about 'liking' the SPECTRA 3Vi's plot.

I personally appreciate its presence, because in the majority of instances it better indicates ferrous items.

Although it really is just another way of presenting the 'hump' analysis, the polar plot is a more 'classical picture' of the excellent data available from the White's Spectra.

If the White's design team exploit that data, then future development of the Spectra platform will be far more advanced than its competitors.

The limitations of any metal detector's analytical capabilities, is mostly concerned with what it can do with 'noisy' signals from deeper objects.

So the drive for White's design team is to develop better 'low noise' ' front end', (In the search-head), signal conditioning.

I'm sure the more informed detectorist in the United States, know just what I'm referring to, for it has already been implemented here in the EU zone, with dramatically improved finds rate for the wider variety of targets we seek.

As for my personal usage, I state, that the White's Spectra is the finest piece of equipment anyone could own if they are truly interested in fully learning/understanding the science of metal detection.

I hope my use of the word 'science' does not deter you from trying to better understand what is going on in that small undulating
universe that lies beneath the search head.

I really do appreciate that we are not all scientist, engineers, or maybe not too interested in the technicalities of what's 'going on' when we swing our metal detector over varying soil conditions and unknown conductive items, but please don't ever give up trying to learn.

Each simple single thread of understanding, will improve your ability to hunt the more elusive targets.

Gain experience, by digging more of those difficult targets, then apply your knowledge to expand your understanding of why they were 'difficult'.

By that process, you will be better informed and capable of setting up your detector.

Do plenty of 'Air-testing', and try to spot the consequences of the target's characteristics effecting the displayed data.

I hope you enjoy the 3Vi...........TheMarshall

Some like the plot, some like the hump, but I have not found a good use for either yet. The three main features I use to determine to dig a target or not is Audio, Spectagraph and Pinpoint in that order. Other than the sizing on the hump graph, I don't see where there is any more useful data that can be used in the analyze screens. The Analyze graphs may be useful if you are just beginning, but if you rely on them to much, you will miss some real nice deep coins and non coin targets in my opinion.

If a target sounds like something I might dig, I look at the spectragraph and if it still looks good, I will pinpoint and then I will dig or pass on the target. Pinpointing tells me the size by outlining the target and the bars tells me the dominate frequency and intensity, by now I know if I will dig or not and the Analyze screen offers nothing new to my decision.

I have to agree with Larry on this one. I even have my trigger set up so trigger forward locks the pinpoint so I can use both hands for recovering the target with my DX1.

Larry (IL) said:
Some like the plot, some like the hump, but I have not found a good use for either yet. The three main features I use to determine to dig a target or not is Audio, Spectagraph and Pinpoint in that order. Other than the sizing on the hump graph, I don't see where there is any more useful data that can be used in the analyze screens. The Analyze graphs may be useful if you are just beginning, but if you rely on them to much, you will miss some real nice deep coins and non coin targets in my opinion.

If a target sounds like something I might dig, I look at the spectragraph and if it still looks good, I will pinpoint and then I will dig or pass on the target. Pinpointing tells me the size by outlining the target and the bars tells me the dominate frequency and intensity, by now I know if I will dig or not and the Analyze screen offers nothing new to my decision.

While I do agree with what Larry said on Audio, VDI, etc being the best indicators, I do like the Polar Plot and made it my default with the trigger forward. It is more of a toy than a useful gadget, but I am noticing that copper and silver do show up differently on the plot, which makes for easier ID. It has also helped me to determine whether or not to dig in a few rare instances.

Thanks for all the replies. I got the old XLT out and WOW it was like going back in time. Now don't get me wrong the old reliable XLT found lots of finds but I sure missed the color display and my wireless headphones. Just heard from Tony and he said that my V3i arrived today and would be shipped back out tomorrow. Now that's service.