Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

V3i coil testing

You can with limited results. Keep in mind there is usually a lot of EMI from the house wiring, lights and many other electronic items. Of course, you can't ground balance in the house but just checking out a coil and take VDI readings, sure, you can do that.

The reason I am asking this question becouse If I put stock 10"DD I can crank up RX to 15 and TX boost on problem but with 6x10 and 5.3 it overloads I am doing this inside becouse it is -15 outside. The two smaller coils I bought are used.

Are the two used ones V rated? (Have a V on one of the mounting ears)

My guess is the 6X10 might be out of null but further checking outdoors or by others would be in order. The 5.3 not being V rated likely will not do as good as a V rated coil.

I've been looking at getting a V3i. White's lists the 5.3 as good for all Spectra's. Why would your 5.3 not be V rated?

Coils made before the release of the V series of detectors are not optimised for the 22.5 KHz frequency. Before the V, the coils were made for 3 to 15 KHz detectors. The older coils still work OK, just might not have a perfect null on the higher frequency channel. I use a non V rated coil on my V3i and I am perfectly happy with it running at RX 12. A V rated coil might let me go up to RX15 but there really is not that much difference between the two settings.

Thank You everybody for repl. it was very educational for me ( I did not know this info about 5.3 coil but I will keep it becouse I like the coil ) Thanks Larry.

That is a very good coil and unless you are hunting for very small gold, you probably will not notice much difference in the V rated version.

Good luck when the weather breaks.

Whites lists NEW coils and they are all V rated except the 10x14. It's only used coils that need to be checked. The numbers on the tabs are not SN# and should start with a V. Some V rated 12" coils are marked with an SS instead of a V. On the non V rated coil keep the RX low enough so the signal% is no higher than around 40 Max.