Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

V3i on relics

Larry (IL)

The V3i is my favorite relic hunter and I took it out for a spin this morning.

The field I have been working has been planted in beans so it will not be long before the farmer will not like me in his field. I got a few hours in this morning and got the usual relics and a 1896 plain Barber quarter that the plow found before me.......:ranting: It was folded almost in half but I got it pounded out and it was so cruddy, I took a wire brush to it to get it cleaned up........... it didn't hurt the value it that condition anyway. It's a good thing it wasn't an 1896-S or I would really be upset. The wheat is a 1913 and the old token has 5 ELD on it, nothing on the back.

[attachment 290001 Barber.jpg]

Relics, was it the place I lost the pinpointer?? Nice to see your finds.:thumbup:

No Rob, I haven't been back there this year. I have another place right out of town that has been producing some nice finds.

What vdi did the golf balls ring up as ? HA !

Always good to see a barber come out of the ground, no matter what the condition.

Larry those are great finds. question, when you decide to hunt farm fields how do you choose one over the other? and what do you look for? Thanks.

I look at old Plat books where a house, school or in this case, a town used to be.

I love finding golf balls, we call them canon balls.............:biggrin:

[attachment 290040 mortar5.jpg]

Yep, sure can, also for free, searching the Internet and they are pretty cheap, about $5 on Ebay for CD's. Your local historical society has tons of info for the cost of a membership. Old plat books will also show old fairgrounds, horse racing tracks and much more. Good luck Gary.

O yeah! looks like I will be joining the historical society, thanks again Larry I will let you know how it works out.

Howdy Larry--

I agree with you that the V3i is one good relic machine! You dug some really neat finds there. I'm curious about the glass looking item to the right of your old spoon? Is it a broach? Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

My best guess is an old reflector. The back looks like copper and I'm guessing it once was silver plated on the inside and the glass dispersed the reflected light. :shrug: I could be completely wrong though.

Larry (IL) said:
The V3i is my favorite relic hunter and I took it out for a spin this morning.

The field I have been working has been planted in beans so it will not be long before the farmer will not like me in his field. I got a few hours in this morning and got the usual relics and a 1896 plain Barber quarter that the plow found before me.......:ranting: It was folded almost in half but I got it pounded out and it was so cruddy, I took a wire brush to it to get it cleaned up........... it didn't hurt the value it that condition anyway. It's a good thing it wasn't an 1896-S or I would really be upset. The wheat is a 1913 and the old token has 5 ELD on it, nothing on the back.

[attachment 290001 Barber.jpg]

Larry, If you need a job we could use you at the shop conserving coin. (A percision touch with a hammer is a skill set.:clsoedeyes:)

A hammer and a wire brush is all I need.........:biggrin: It's nice hearing from you Scott.

Your hired!

Reaching in and "tickling" those adjustments to work an iron environment is a big deal with the V......gold chain adjustments too. (Hell,adjusting period.)

I sold my V3i to do an immediate freeing up of cash (for a big "score" in my other hobby/Vintage audio). Been DFXing it, but had someone come into the shop with needing help with adjusting his V3i? I don't know about it being any different than riding a bike? Went into that menu like a house afire and think I slammed through it faster than when I always had one in my hand! (THAT menu system so ROCKS!)

An aside: A very satisfying situation is developing from that help requested. The gentleman I helped had the unfortunate experience of suffering a brain injury with a motorcycle accident and has issues with memory. (You can say "Oh poor guy....", but this man blossoms "around" that diversity like an animal!!!!) I'm going to try and figure out how I can help his "menu system" work the V3is'......it will be done!

When you get the time, you will have to enlighten us on what vintage audio means Scott. Gramophones come to mind but I might be totally wrong.... :shrug:

what is that little cannon for ?.......does it shoot golf balls ?..............:shrug:

Yep, it is a black powder golf ball mortar, it kind of resembles a Civil war Coehorn mortar.