Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

V3i Pinpointing audio Issue Thanks White's!

Druid

Hi All,

If you were following the previous thread you know that a very small number of us have had an issue with our machines in pinpoint threshold based all metal giving us a display indication on screen but no audio information.
Well, in spite of a lot of forum help, and all my tweaking and testing I was not able to find the solution to my pinpointing AM audio loss on some targets.
After calling Sweet Home to inquire what to do next, White's, with their usual superb customer support characteristically stepped up to the plate and said send 'er back and we will send you a new machine!
Thank you White's, you are what all manufacturers should strive to be, a true friend to your customers:cheers:

Drew.

GREAT, now just make sure to let us know ho the new machine works. This is important for the other guys with the problem.

Hi Rob,

I will report back once I get the new unit out in the field. I am crossing my fingers that the new V3i will not have this PP issue.

How soon do you expect before getting the replacement V3i? I re-tested mine on purpose after reading this thread, and the V3i still has times where it goes active in displaying the three color bars, along with depth numbers, yet no audio. I'd pretty much just accepted it and gave up on those targets, but it has always bugged me that the machine could do everything else on the display but drop the audio. Some people wanna say that it means there's no real target down there. Well, how is it possible that the circuitry triggers and monitors the freq bars, and does the depth readings, without the sound? That ain't logical. IMO, there should be zero-ways to even MAKE the events happen without the audio.

Please do post asap when you test the new machine. I want to know I'm not nuts, or if there's still an indication of the problem being something besides the actual machine. I'd be a much happier owner of the V3i if I could believe there was an actual fix to make mine mirror the operation of those other people who seem to want to quickly point a finger at the operator. Again, I find it difficult to believe that we could make this symptom even occur.

Thanks for the posting Drew. martin

I'm watching and waiting for a report on the new machine. Thank you!

Question? After reading the posts on p/p, just what are some of the issues when pinpointing, would like a better explanation on some of the problems or issues some of the other m/d"s have been having so I can check mine out because mine after the conversion has been having issues in the pinpoint mode. Any help would be appreciated thanks a lot Guys

Some people have reported that after getting a good target signal they have a problem when trying to pin point. They get the 3 colored bars and the bars operate as they should. However, they have no audio in pin point. This should not be confused with the scenario happening once in a while. Theirs is a constant problem. The detector can be operating correctly and conditions such as starting too close to the target will cause it to happen occasionally.

I just ran into this today! I was out hunting in the park today, not much in Ventura Ca. as far as silver goes but I find alot of clad. I went into pinpoint mode and was trying to get a target and it had all 3 bars at the same level and no sound, I hope it was a 1 time thing but now will be looking for this issue.

Tim

HickFu said:
I just ran into this today! I was out hunting in the park today, not much in Ventura Ca. as far as silver goes but I find alot of clad. I went into pinpoint mode and was trying to get a target and it had all 3 bars at the same level and no sound, I hope it was a 1 time thing but now will be looking for this issue.

Tim

This happens all the time and it is of no serious consequence. It is a variable that becomes introduced with sensitive vlf machines adjusting to various surface targets and signal strength. It is prominent with the v3i because of its super sensitivity. Dont worry about it, I have been hunting with mine for year now and I have learned to move the coil to a less noisy location when pinpointing. It only takes a couple of times to figure out.

I had the "no audio" happen once last weekend to me, the first in a LONG time. I went ahead and dug to see what was causing it and I found a hot rock the size of a softball just under the surface. When this happens to you, dig the target and see what is causing it, that way when it happens again you pretty well know what is going on and if it is iron as many have reported, you will start walking right by those signals that is apparently overloading the audio circuit.

I had it happen two days ago and when I finally got it to act normally again I dug the target and pulled up a knapsack buckle. Solid 82 on the ID, no audio on pinpoint. Squeezed the trigger a few times off to the side with no luck, went back to detecting mode, swung it around a few times then pinpointed again and success. Got the buckle at about 8"

[size=large]I'm not saying this is all the problem but from my earlier post:[/size]

The goal is to keep the ground signal about 20% so that you still get depth and can still see shallow targets without overload. Signal% doesn't indicate signal "loss", but rather the amount of residual signal present. If ground + null are the cause, then this doesn't take away from sensitivity. Instead, it takes away from large/shallow target response, manifested in a signal overload. None of these are losses, but rather they reduce the available dynamic range. The lower this % number the stronger the signal will come through or be received.

The V is one sensitive detector. If the signal% gets higher the detector finds it easier to overload the audio on shallow or larger targets (buckle). Pin point sees targets (non ferrous) you don't know about because you have them discriminated out in search mode . So when you switch to the all metal channel (pin point) ????

Guys with some of the more sensitive Fisher models are reporting the same scenario. So before everyone starts trying to find a problem with their detector, lets see how the new detector works.

Here's a good story. On another forum a guy posted that his detector (V3i) lost depth if his back light was set below 4. Can you guess how many people changed their back light the next day, even though they were making deep finds.:crazy:

Hi All,

I will get out as soon as possible after the new unit arrives and I will, (if I still have the audio Issue that is), make a determined effort to retrieve all the affected targets.
If they all turn out to be hotrocks and/or corroded iron junk that will reveal something as to the source.
I do have a couple of other Whites units to do side by side check also to see if they audio up on the targets or not.
I am in real negative iron soil here in BC, negative 91-94 on the old DFX DC phase measurement.
It has been on my mind that this phenomenon could be repeatable iron false in motion disc with targets that are so corroded that they are blending into my soil matrix???

Drew

If I understand what you said Rob, if one turns down the RX Gain they might not have the audio blanking (audio overload) except maybe on very large items?

????? Just throwing things out until Druid gets his new detector and sees if he still has a problem. I mentioned other detectors having the problem, here is the post.

On my F4 I just bought I was out detecting and did the cross over my target then I pushed pin point and nothing no sound no change on screen so press back on discriminate and beep beep right away. What the heck I thought so I pressed pin point again and this time it worked. Same thing happened 4 different times.

I was just thinking that on the Disc channel they hear the target and on the all metal channel they don't. Maybe turning down the all metal would help. RX would turn down both channels and Disc seems to be OK. Lets just wait to see if Druid still has a problem. At this point I know nothing.:devil:

I guess All Metal Sensitivity lowered does makes more sense.

Just a thought but i have never had a good signal then lose audio on pinpoint. On the other hand i have hit a signal then moved the coil to the side and pulled the trigger to pinpoint and all three bars came up with no audio. I just atributed it to there being another target nearby that was discriminated out which is why i didn't get a signal. I'm wondering if this could happen by trying to pinpoint too close to the target. Don't know, just a thought.

Yes for most of us that is the reason.