Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

V3i Video

Rob (IL)

Guys I watched a you tube video where the guy is comparing a CTX3030 and a V3i on a 10" quarter. If you are running yours this way you are wrong. Any time you change programs or any of the gains you need to ground balance. I can't post the link because it has advertising.

Rob (IL) said:
Guys I watched a you tube video where the guy is comparing a CTX3030 and a V3i on a 10" quarter. If you are running yours this way you are wrong. Any time you change programs or any of the gains you need to ground balance. I can't post the link because it has advertising.

Can you say the YouTube Users name? Or the title of the video?

V3i VS CTX3030 on a 10" quarter

You are referring to one of my videos. Even if I did not ground balance it was set to auto tracking and you can see in the video that it was tracking.

Sorry Bill but anytime you change gain or programs you should ground balance. This is the information from the engineer who wrote the software for the V3i. All I did is make a true statement of how to run the V3i correctly. What else can I say. I've posted the correct procedure before on the forum.

Bill your video simply doesn't follow the correct Whites procedure, what do you want me to say? :stars:

So why have auto tracking turned on if you have to manual ground balance after making some changes. That makes no sense to me. Even if you done a manual balance wouldn't the auto tracking over ride it in a few seconds anyway.

Thanks for the edit Bill.

It takes time for the tracking to get the V3i balanced You changed programs, gain, or boost, and immediately waved the coil over the quarter. You where testing performance with a less than optimum G/B. You could tell the the balance wasn't correct because as you said the arrows where moving. Whites slowed the tracking between the V3 and V3i. You will notice it now takes more pumps to balance the detector.

In a real detecting situation, you could pass over several coins before the detector was balanced. This procedure is from the engineer who wrote the software. I just tell you what Whites tells me. I never say you have to listen to me. On the Whites forum right now there is a guy who was ready to send his unit back to Whites because he couldn't find a coin deeper than 3". Problem solved he had a bad ground balance.

As DaFox says, G/B has the greatest effect on V3i performance.

"On the Whites forum right now there is a guy who was ready to send his unit back to Whites because he couldn't find a coin deeper than 3". Problem solved he had a bad ground balance."

You do have to admit that the poster on Whites had a major flaw in his GB routine though. It's not really parallel to this GB question. Also, I have read many posters in the past years where V3i users got a reply when calling a Whites engineer on the phone that the V3i is a turn on and go, without any manual balance.

Which horse's mouth does this subject end? IMO, the auto track feature in the V3i is way un-trustable. Spontaneous manual GBing is fine but for the fact that clean ground is not easy many times.

Automatic balancing lacks.

Bill, the trouble with Auto GB is if you are over a target while balancing, the V3i thinks the target is part of the ground. I would suggest manually GB in clean ground, lock, and then try the quarter test again, I think you would get better results. My ground doesn't change much and that is why I hunt with GB locked.

It parallels fine Martin, I don't care that he was balancing wrong, his balance was bad and he couldn't detect better than 3". My point was to get optimum perfornace G/B must be optimum. If not depth suffers.

Rob on this Subject the "INHIBIT" feature is supposed to keep the V3i from tracking when receiving I believe it was said a "Good Signal." I know that very often I can not find clean ground and when I do, since I hunt old Houses, it often changes very quickly. When running Autotrack under these conditions what would you recommend as a setting? I think I actually slowed mine down just a little from factory whatever that was. I don't feel like I have GB problems but then again who really knows.

Inhibit – When ON (“X” in box) ground mineral tracking is restricted during target signals that have a high
probability of being a ground mineral or hot rock. Doing so prevents errors in ground tracking caused by ground
anomalies in search area. When off (empty square) ground tracking occurs regardless. ON is suggested for most
types of searching. OFF is suggested for Prospecting.

I would make sure you have Inhibit - ON, so you won't track out a weak target when you make multiple passes over it. It is defaulted on so that the machine doesn't track when it sees a target. You don’t want the tracking to think your target is a change in ground and track it out.
Also while hunting, if you see tracking come up too often you're alerted that you've wandered into a bad patch of ground, and that a filter change or even a "Track Lock" might be in order. If you don't want to be bothered with the tracking arrows turn Report off.
OK, our only adjustment is tracking speed. This determines how close or fast the tracking follows the ground. You can go too far either way with your tracking. A good tracking speed is one that keeps your threshold steady while you're swing the coil.
If you set it too slow your machine may go silent and can cause a loss of sensitivity and lost targets. The tracking is trying to accommodate the mineralization changes in the ground, so too slow will allow the mineralization to generate excess noise. If you set it too fast your machine will try to match every little change in the ground and you'll get overshoot which can also result in noise and lost targets. The optimum tracking speed is the lowest speed that keeps your threshold constant as you're swinging.
Don't worry so much about tracking speed numbers, worry about results. If 20 keeps your machine tracking smooth with your swing speed, then you should use that. You can try dropping the number and if it gets jumpy, go back up. The correct number is the one that works best for you. If you have to err, a little higher number would be better than to err on the low side. Correlate mode seems to need a faster tracking speed than the best data.

Seeing your detector track intermittently is good. If you see excessive tracking your AutoTrac is too fast. Try various settings until you see your tracking arrows reduce to a reasonable number. What's that number? I really can’t say.

I have my tracking set at 35 which seems pretty good. I noticed that after digging a target and before starting to hunt, I hit the Pin Point and got almost no sound as the detector went to the ground.