Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

V3i Which to choose: Ultimate 13" or 10x12 SEF?

Beyonder

Good and bad points about each please. I am looking for more depth.

Bey

Howdy Beyonder--

I've never used an SEF coil and I've just recently purchased the Ultimate 13 primarily for relic hunting. When I have the chance to test it at my relic site I will post my impressions of this coil. My main reason for choosing the Ultimate 13 over an SEF coil is White's service department's deserved reputation. From my own experience and that of my detecting friends who also use White's products, if a problem arose with the merchandise , it was always resolved swiftly and to our satisfaction. White's backs their products and that has always been a big selling point to me. Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

I never tried the ultimate but the 10x12 sef in mixmode is a killer for deep relics and coins

On my MXT and in my fairly mild soil, the Ultimate gets about an inch more depth on a dime than the 10x12 SEF. This is confirmed by both air testing and in my test garden. The 10x12 SEF's advantage is that it gets a little better separation, especially at depth ... overall a great coil. Ultimate is best in a low trash area when looking for deep targets. It does "ok" in medium trash too, just not as good as the SEF. Don't get me wrong, the SEF is still the second deepest coil I've ever used on my White's.

They're both great coils. The differences are only slight with one emphasizing depth (the Ultimate) and the other sacrificing a little depth for a little better separation (the SEF). Just depends on what you want to do.

Usually, the larger coil will go the deepest in clean ground and you are comparing a 13" coil to a 10" coil but with better separation, the 10X12 might get deeper in trashy ground...:shrug:

I have had both and have the ultimate now. Seems like the ultimate will hit in the center and on both edges of the coil. Gets kind of confusing at times. I do not remember the 10x12 doing this. As far as depth, I believe the ultimate is a bit deeper.

The ultimate is considered 3" bigger so it should be a little deeper. It doesn't make it better, just bigger.

I have been using the SEF 10X12 and it is my favorite Coil now. The Butterfly Coil gets as Deep at the front and back as it does in the Center. For this reason it covers more ground. Just looking at the 13 it would seem to get depth in the middle or center only. For covering ground you don't need to overlap swings as much/ I would love to try the 13 but I don't think it is much better that the 10X12. When the Swamp around here drys up, I may be able to find something again.

The 13" detects front to back the same as the 10x12, it is not a concentric coil.

Rob (IL) said:
The 13" detects front to back the same as the 10x12, it is not a concentric coil.

I realize that but it is not very wide at the front or back like the 10X12 The Butterfly shape of the 10X12 to me, has the effect of being as deep on both ends as the middle.

So both are great coils from what I gather. One is alittle deeper and one separates better. I am hunting old relic spots and cornfields here in michigan. Just wondering which would be the better choice for me. Also how would you set up the Detec being there is not a coil selection choice for that coil?

Just use the largest Coil setting. I think that is a Super 12 not sure but whatever it is, it works great.

I do think the SEF 10X12 covers more ground and I have no trouble hunting trashy areas with it. In this case unlike some other areas of Metal Detecting regardless which one you buy, it will work great and you will be happy with it. The same company Detech makes both coils.