Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

VA Beach- Metal Detector Capital?

John-NC

Just returned home from a vacation in Virginia Beach. This was my second time this year. The first time was the Memorial day holiday. Just want to make some observations. This beach must be the heaviest hunted 3 mile stretch of beach on the planet. But it does get replenished very frequently by the huge number of beach goers. Each morning when we woke and looked out from the hotel balcony, no fewer than three people swinging detectors. One day I counted seven at one time within my sight. This is just in the morning. Several are in the dry sand meandering around and others are going down the shore. Throughout the day you see one or two guys going down the shoreline. At night several hunters are out sweeping the towel line after the beach goers exit for dinner. This place is detector heaven.
The great thing is that you can detect all night long in the dry sand. Three officers on horses rode by last night at around 9 pm, so I feel fairly safe.
The lights from the hotels and the boardwalk are sufficient to detect. You can see any craters that kids have left before you take a tumble. I carried a small LED light but really didn't need it. The only time I used it was when I was checking out a big crab that was dodging my coil. I am typically a land hunter and took my Minelab Explorer to VA beach for the second time this year. Last time I found two rings; one gold and one silver. This time I just found some junk jewelry and almost $15 in clad in 8 hours of hunting. I had a great time even without any good finds.
My first morning going down the towel line, an old guy came up to me and said he was watching some guys who had been playing football search around in the sand for a long time. He said that several were wearing gold. He pointed to the area they were searching. I thanked him and didn't think much of it until the next morning. I went to the area and started gridding. I covered an area of 40 x 50 very slow and dragged my scoop to mark my path. No gold, but I did rack up a lot of clad. It was worth a try.
I am not trying to sell the place. I just want to share my experience.

Yep, it seems like this is the MD beach of the east. I attribute a lot of that to these forums. There's a lot of knowledge, wisdom and camraderie online for all of us to enjoy and profit from, but we're advertising all our finds and encouraging more participation. Just like my other passion, motorcycling, it's getting crowded in the sport. The danger is that a larger participation means more chance for individuals without ettiquette to get involved. I've been known for fill in holes and pick up dug trash for the new guy that's half a block ahead of me.

That said, I still try to be a good ambassabor for newbies and interested onlookers. Even though it eats into low tide time, I make a point to answer questions and occasionally put the phones on people's kids heads to find the quarter I just dropped. Those interactions go a long way towards making an enjoyable hunt out of a non profitable one.

Yup, we DO have an active MD contingent here.

I'm sure you saw my sister Stacey, my buddy Karl, and me out there. We go out to hit the wee-hour low tide every Saturday and Sunday morning. Usually right down there by the edge of the water at low tide. Which is where the good stuff mostly is. I have found far more gold and diamond rings down by the water than in the dry sand, though the dry DOES give up a few now and then. I had my Quattro, my Explorer II, and then my Explorer SE in the wet sand and doing quite well with the 12.5" Excelerator coil but prefer to hunt with the Excal due to it's water-proofness. All the Minelabs kick butt at the beach though.

Beaches and very crowded.....I don't think I would like it.....can you imagine hunting in the water and or the beach.....how much pee is there?.......I prefer fewer and less congested. I am sorry but people pee in water cause it can't be detected......hey your suits wet......yeah I just went swimming!!!LOL....:puke:

That's why we detect it at NIGHT. Not a whole lot of folks in the water, reasonable amount down in the wet sand, near the water. It's very nice. I don't go near the place during the day.

I'm not missing much my Excal 1000. When I had the SE I had the 12.5" coil and it did well at the beach but I don't have the SE anymore and I don't beach detect with non-waterproof machines. I find all I need with my Excal 1000.

I guess you saw the part about me not having the SE anymore, right? So for me to "try it sometime" would mean about $1400. So I think I'll pass.

I know the explorer is a great machine. So is the Excal. And if I drop the Excal in the water, I pick it up and I don't have a $1000+ paperweight. :)

In the morning the beach is fairly unpopulated. It gets pretty crowded by about 10am. This picture was taken on July 5 from our second story hotel room. At diner time it is about half of what you see in the picture. At sunset it is pretty much wide open. I kind of enjoyed the spectators. And one strange thing is that the kids don't swarm around you much because so many people are detecting. It's not just one guy with some curious treasure machine. They get used to seeing them and are not so drawn to check out what you are doing.

Mike (Virginia Beach) said:
I guess you saw the part about me not having the SE anymore, right? So for me to "try it sometime" would mean about $1400. So I think I'll pass.

I know the explorer is a great machine. So is the Excal. And if I drop the Excal in the water, I pick it up and I don't have a $1000+ paperweight. :)
Amen......:please:

Mike (Virginia Beach) said:
That's why we detect it at NIGHT. Not a whole lot of folks in the water, reasonable amount down in the wet sand, near the water. It's very nice. I don't go near the place during the day.

Smart man! :thumbup:

For me who does not have to get in the water cause the water here at the beach I do, never has much in it....I find most in wet sand from tip of shore to the dry sand at road.....everytime I get in the water I get nothing no targets whats so ever and that is with the excal 800....so I stick to the wet and dry....your beach maybe diff. and get good sand bars that develope catch basins for gold and coins...lucky you....Good luck Mike and lets see some more BLING!! :thumbup:

[size=medium]You're worried about a little pee in the water? C'mon, just think of all the creatures that live in the ocean and what they do there.

Don't forget to add in all the cruise ships, tankers, freighters, etc. that dump their bildge water, garbage and anything else in the ocean.

Oh, yeah, don't forget about all the Military Ships and Subs from countries all over the world that are using the ocean as well. Now that few ounces of pee doesn't seem like so much, does it?

[/size]

hahahahahahahahaha...sorry I was laughing too hard..

You left out the commercial air lines.....Joe Dirt found some dung ball.....if you watched the movie.....

well you made me feel better anyways......:puke:

:poke: