Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Vaquero and Cibola?

Sonnyd

Does anyone here have them both? is there any advantage to having them both? I have a Black Vaquero, but have a chance to buy an almost pristine Cibola for dirt cheap. I have plenty of Detectors, so I don't need one for a backup, but I'm not against owning another one, LOL.... Any Thoughts.....

Sonnyd said:
Does anyone here have them both? is there any advantage to having them both? I have a Black Vaquero, but have a chance to buy an almost pristine Cibola for dirt cheap. I have plenty of Detectors, so I don't need one for a backup, but I'm not against owning another one, LOL.... Any Thoughts.....

fella on you tube scannerguy1968 does a full review on each and comparison on both these units, and I think individual review(s) on each can be found too..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDPj0R6JhWs

I got mine before my vaq and got it with the plans of modding it, which I did.
I don't really recommend modding it because if you mess it up it will be pricey for Tesoro to restore.
Disclaimer over.

But having said all that I will say a cibola is different than the vaquero. Most have said that a modded cibola is a vaquero, but it's not. The disc is different on the cibola. The space between a nickel and a zinc on the cibola is much wider. Nickels disc out below the nickel line (~10:00) almost to the foil line and zinc disc out at around 5:00 or 5:30. My vaq is much closer together and more to the markings.

What benefit this has it depends.

But the cibola is preset ground balance so more than anything this should play a part. If your ground is good you will have no issues. And if you run into bad ground then you always have your vaq.
Another plus would be that the cibola will come with the 9x8 so you'd have that coil available on your vaquero too. They both can be supertuned.

In the end that's up to you.
My problem was the opposite. I had the modded cibola and didn't know if I needed a vaquero, but in the end I got it because I like options and I got a good deal.

If it won't hurt your pocketbook, and it's a great deal, I don't see a loss I'm buying it. Nice to turn on and go.
I'm not sure what other machines you have either so I can't comment on that.

You can always resell it for same price if you don't like it if you're getting a good deal.

Devil's advocate:

the only downside to buying a non GB machine used besides not having the warranty is if anyone has messed with the trimmer GB pot inside. When I got mine I knew I was modding it but went outside and checked the GB and it was quite positive, so in that case if I wasn't modding it I would have either had to send to Tesoro for $50 or chance adjusting it myself.
GB detectors are less risk in that department because unless a couple.ponent on the board fails or the coil goes bad, not much can go wrong.

A while ago there was a thing with compadres where everyone was going inside and playing with the pots, so many that were purchased later used had issues.

If you know who's selling it and believe if they say they never messed with it, then no worries.
Just putting out all possibilities to take into consideration.

On another note I'm considering grabbing one too and leaving it stock. If you get a really great deal you can always add in the $50 plus shipping and send it in and when it gets back it will be like a perfectly functioning new cibola but with any aesthetics that were wrong will still be there but will be perfectly functioning.

Save your money and get a good used Tejon instead with the 8x9 coil. Imagine you have the 8x11 coil with the black vaquero. So, you would have a totally different machine and ability to swap coils between the two. I'd upgrade from what you have now, not downgrade I say.

Sonnyd said:

I have them both. If you can really get a clean Cibola for "dirt cheap", then grab it. They are a good, deep turn on & go. I actually have two Cibolas here, a stock "high-tone" and a GB modified standard tone. My modded Cibola seems quite like my Vaquero; it's similar in depth and "feel". If anything, it may run a little smoother than Vaquero, but not enough to get me excited. I don't recommend a Tejon, as someone else has mentioned you save up for, unless you hunt relics in fairly clean areas. I also have a pair of Tejons and while the extra features seem cool, I don't find them as much fun to use in trashy spots I frequent, even with (either of) the 5.75" coils. Yes, Tejons can run deep, but a good Vaquero is nicer in trash, nearly as deep as Tejon, and Vaquero is the better coin machine.

Cibola is a good park detector, and great for a loaner or spare. Get it if the price is right.

Yeah, the few more added features could make it difficult for a few to use a tejon properly. But, not everyone though. Guess having a lot of machines, some can't master any particular one. Like having a driveway full of race cars does not necessarily mean you are a good race car driver... lol

Thanks Everyone, I appreciate the feedback. To answer some questions, besides my Vaquero, I have a Garrett AT Pro, a Fisher F75 SE and old Garrett ADS7 Master Hunter that I bought in 1988 and a Fisher 1210-X , "beep and dig" that I got new in 1986. I'm In Kansas, and the ground here is for the most part really good. I never had a hard time doing a ground balance here.
Thanks Stefan, I hadn't thought about the coil, that's worth 100 bucks. I don't know the history of the one for sale. it's on another forum, and the guy says it's nice. He's dropped the price to 200.00 shipped.Which seems pretty cheap to me..

Pinenut...... 90% of my hunting is in Parks and pretty trashy areas, and I'm mostly a coin shooter, so Thanks for the tip about the Tejon. Again the Cibola as far as I know is stock, and looks good, and is 200.00 shipped. It's on another forum, and it's been on there for a long time at 215, and he just dropped it to 200.00

Thanks again Everyone, for the Tips, Hint's and Knowledge

I know which one you mean. Was going to pick it up.
Said it functions well and he had his grandson use it on a seeded hunt so seems like it's good.
That's what I paid for mine.
So that's up to you. Good price.
For your style of hunting I prefer my umax detectors like compadre or outlaw or bandido because of their disc being 120 however I'm sure that the cibola will treat you well. With the 3% it'll be closer to 206.
It's yours. I realized that buying another cibola wouldn't be prudent right now lol

jld66 said:
Yeah, the few more added features could make it difficult for a few to use a tejon properly. But, not everyone though. Guess having a lot of machines, some can't master any particular one. Like having a driveway full of race cars does not necessarily mean you are a good race car driver... lol

You're right racer X; got a garage and driveway full here, yet I drive like an old fogey.
The only additional feature on Tejon that I find useful for coin hunting, is the audio pitch control. I'd like that on any detector. I don't really need dual disc. Those features however, are not what makes Tejon more difficult to use, but rather, it's affinity for ferrous and aluminum, and where the disc range is biased. Tejon loves the junk (call 'em relics) and zincs don't go away 'till near maximum. Tejon was not designed for coin hunters. Tesoro's best? Whatever...

In contrast, my favorite Tesoro, the Bandido II micromax, screams coin to me. The Vaquero and Cibola are both better coin-shooters than Tejon, and with similar depth. I enjoy my Tejons in the right places; low mineralized, non trashy spots. I do not recommend a Tejon if you're mostly looking for coins around junk.
I've used nearly all their land units made in the past 20 years and I have my favorites.
Have fun with your Tejon.. :smoke:

Might as well throw in the outlaw in the mix. Based in the Bandido II micromax which is regarded by many, including me, as the best Tesoro ever made.
I have both and the outlaw is nice but more pricey unless you find it used. That's what I did

Stoof-tabsallday said:
I know which one you mean. Was going to pick it up.
Said it functions well and he had his grandson use it on a seeded hunt so seems like it's good.
That's what I paid for mine.
So that's up to you. Good price.
For your style of hunting I prefer my umax detectors like compadre or outlaw or bandido because of their disc being 120 however I'm sure that the cibola will treat you well. With the 3% it'll be closer to 206.
It's yours. I realized that buying another cibola wouldn't be prudent right now lol

Thanks Stefan, it's really not Prudent for me right now either. I.think I'll keep looking, and maybe one will pop up when I'm a little more flush. I've already bought 3 new ones since December, LOL. So I haven't spent a lot of time with any of them...

pinenut said:
jld66 said:

You're right racer X; got a garage and driveway full here, yet I drive like an old fogey.
The only additional feature on Tejon that I find useful for coin hunting, is the audio pitch control. I'd like that on any detector. I don't really need dual disc. Those features however, are not what makes Tejon more difficult to use, but rather, it's affinity for ferrous and aluminum, and where the disc range is biased. Tejon loves the junk (call 'em relics) and zincs don't go away 'till near maximum. Tejon was not designed for coin hunters. Tesoro's best? Whatever...

In contrast, my favorite Tesoro, the Bandido II micromax, screams coin to me. The Vaquero and Cibola are both better coin-shooters than Tejon, and with similar depth. I enjoy my Tejons in the right places; low mineralized, non trashy spots. I do not recommend a Tejon if you're mostly looking for coins around junk.
I've used nearly all their land units made in the past 20 years and I have my favorites.
Have fun with your Tejon.. :smoke:
Never said the tejon was tesoro's best nor that I had one either. Are you able to understand what you read there Pinenut or just twist things around to suit what you think you read. Try comprehending what is actually written in other peoples replies. All the advise I see you can give is, pretty much word for word, on most other sites and readily available. Monte, Sven, and some others actually give good, impressive, above the normal advise and is way above anything myself or what I have seen from you, can give

GOOD MERCY--------Just to say theres no comparing ,Vaquero has a adjustable ground-balance and mine is the old type grey vaquero.bought a 12x10" coil and will blow the soxs OFF $ 1500 detectors ,14" on a quarter and 11" on a penny,11.5 on a dime and feels like I have got a blower under the hood on SUPER-TUNE.
Man I thought my 1266's were hot ,but this vaquero is hot:thumbup:

And once again a nice discussion ends up with "someone" getting their panties in a bunch and bashing anothers commentary
That's why I usually stick to the friendly forum.....lol

Noah

People will always have opinions.
I like what I like. Many may like something else, but more power to them. Whatever makes you happy that's the point of the hobby.

Stoof-tabsallday said:
People will always have opinions.
I like what I like. Many may like something else, but more power to them. Whatever makes you happy that's the point of the hobby.

Well said.

It was interesting what you said about the discrimination being wider between the cibola and vaquero.
I wonder if it's a fluke or if they are all that way. Could make for better big ring and tab separation.
Hmmmmmm

Noah

Here the pic. The yellow marks are just showing there the black lines are I made outside the scale. Notice how much wider the cibola is. Nickel and zinc penny are the lines