Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Vaquero or XTerra 70??

Dick from IA

Last summer I purchased a Vaquero; used it for a week and loved the results, but was a bit uncomfortable without TID. So exchanged it for an XTerra 70, which I like, but am wondering if I'm losing out on better relic finds.

I've become mostly a tone hunter now, so would be just fine with a non-metered unit. Should I consider trading the XTerra 70 for a Vaquero, since my main interest is relics? :confused:

And if I were to purchase a Vaquero, which coils should I have in addition to the stock coil?

Thanks in advance for any advice.:clapping:

Since they're both good relic detectors, you really must decide on which one fits your needs the best. Relic areas are best covered by digging all desireable signals. However, many areas contain many other targets that aren't relics per se. Target ID meters can be a blessing in those sites. You have used both, so base your decision on your experience with them. You might consider buying a used Vaquero until you know for sure which one you favor. I have both and use both, depending upon what site I need to detect. It amazes me what we continue to dig out of sites by simply changing detectors and or coils. As for Vaquero coils, Concentric for hunting in trash and Wide Scan for high mineral ground. Small coils are best in trash (the heavier the trash, the smaller the coil) and large coils for increased depth and coverage. Hope this helps. Good hunting, David@Dixie

For relic - I use audio only and have been using the Tejon. If the stock coil works, thats fine. But if the trash overcomes the stock coil, then I'll switch to the 575 coil. I also team up the Tejon with a Cibola.
In your case, it might me a good idea to have both machines. Never hurts to have a backup, and since you have used both, your already familiar with them. - just my opinion