Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Variance of Excal coil compatibility?

bklein

I have two excal detectors I have made from parts. I have put in the CTX headphone mod, the pinpoint switch mod, etc. One is an Excal 2 and the other is a sword.
I put in connectors to be able to switch coils. I'm kinda going nuts trying the various coils I have as they all were bought off ebay or classifieds used and as you know were originally hardwired so I have to play around with coil wiring to try and get them to work. What I am finding or seem to be finding is one coil may work on one of the 2 detectors but not both. Is this the way it is - a lot of variability in compatibility? I'm wondering if the excal 2 board is faulty as with one coil it goes dead. Mel's thread here about matching up coil wiring is a great help but one coil will work well with one detector and not with the other too well. Like you get a double blip on an iron target on one detector and a single nice wide sound with the other detector.

I would suggest you watch the video on the ; "sovereign and excal search coils" sticky located 3 topics above this one..on page 7 about half way down page at 9.50 into the video old beechnut shows a chart which shows a wide variety of search coils and different versions of excals wiring charts,im pretty sure that might be helpful... basically you are trying to get the coils to work on both the sword and excal2..im not sure it's possible. .if old beechnut chimes in he would probably know... it may end up that you need to designate the coils to each specific model..... i rigged up 3 of mine to be interchangeable between the excal 1000 and sov gt..they all work great... good luck.... there is some other useful info in some of the other above sticky topics as well....

I had the wiring misunderstood on one of the two detectors. So like two wires I thought were tx were one tx one rx. The cable I used was two blue wires, two clear....
I couldn’t see the pcb connections without taking the pod all apart. So all coils work about the same on both detectors but the NEL Attack I bought used off eshmay only detects big iron. It doesn’t react to coins. Wonder if there is any repair option? Got taken by the seller I guess. It is worth noting that when you get rx and tx wires intermixed things kinda work a bit - you hear threshold and sense targets weakly. Maybe there is some kind of resistance check one can do to identify the pod signals?

I just did the ip68 connector mod on a Nel sharpshooter coil this morning. .this coil has 2 blue and 2 white wires ,not the 1,2,3,4 like the nel thunder has ,so i did a continuity test on the cable after i cut it,long story short the 1st attempt worked but high conductors were sounding low and low conductors were sounding high.... to fix i swapped the blue wires then swapped the whites and now it's right...... as far as that nel attack coil if your wires are in proper order i would maybe suspect a broken wire or perhaps it was made for another machine other than the excal.... glad to hear you got both your machines figured out.....

Thanks, I got the NEL working! I don't know how but I did the exact same thing wrong twice. Luckily I didn't trust myself and measured things with a meter and I had one of TX and one RX paired up and it fools you if you do this as you get a threshold and crappy detect.