Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

VDI and targets

Popsgoatee

I love my MXT and have done quite well with it but was curious about targets that I pass on based on their VDI. For me if I dig too many of any particular junk in an area I have a tendency to start ignoring those targets, a lot form the high 20's to the mid 50's in particular. Any of you more experienced want to share your thoughts on this. As a note I still try to dig the strong repeatables in these ranges because they could be something decent but maybe I'm missing out not being more consistent.

Just thinking out loud.

Thanks in advance!

:eek:)==

Just dug a confederate buton the bounced from 24 to 28 and sounded like a tin can. I also passed on a signal like that in the same area. Now I'm wondering what it was.

That is what is so nice about the hobby, you dig what you want. Are you missing targets? You bet, but if it is not fun to you, the target is not worth all of the digging. 20 to 50 is the PRIME gold range, larger rings, smaller coins, tokens and other interesting things. If you are a relic hunter, that includes small bullets and buttons. I would investigate the deeper signals in that range.

[size=large]some folks dig everything. only reason for disc. is to rule out iron. even then relic hunters don't seem to use it then. they dig everything. your just going against the odds something valuble will pop up. those who dig the most junk find the most rings.just part of the hobby.

HH[/size]

Not a good idea to skip those VDI's(gold range), dig until you get tried or frustrated then stop. Come back when you enjoy digging again, This way you will eventually dig all targets good & bad. Most importantly ENJOY the hobby.

Sometimes you've gotta put in the work to get something good. That's the way I think when I am digging a bunch of trash. All it takes is one dig to put you back on top!

JOE in MD said:
Not a good idea to skip those VDI's(gold range), dig until you get tried or frustrated then stop. Come back when you enjoy digging again, This way you will eventually dig all targets good & bad. Most importantly ENJOY the hobby.
This is what I do. I had my first hunt for the year and first since deer season opened . I hunted a old home place I hunt often. I dig it all with a good repeatable signal. I found a ring, silver dime and alot of stuff that sounded good. But it is one junky yard. I dig get tired of digging junk leave and come back another day to enjoy my MXT.

I do have to say that I do hunt quite a few parks, soccer fields and such and that the jewelry has been mainly silver for me. I realize that there are probably gold targets being missed but my issue is cutting plugs at these places. The first time I ever hunted at one of the parks I was confronted by the park ranger as I cut a plug, he came unglued and I patiently explained and showed him how I cut a plug and then replace it and you can hardly tell it had been touched. He didn't care and said it was defacing government property.

Now that was again when I was a "rookie" but it does make me hesitant when I'm at these places to dig those nice solid tones, I have mainly been using probes and trying to "pop" most of my targets, even bought a pair of 8" needle nose pliers to reach deeper and retrieve targets without digging a big hole. There are times and opportunities when I can cut plugs but I am very careful at most places so as to not ruin the chance to keep hunting there.

Thanks for all the input!

:eek:)==

I work last year on changing my approach in what I dig and now dig every good target hit regardless of the VDI number. I recently found a very old Cladddagh silver ring which had a VDI of a zinc penny - how many of those have you passed up? I almost let it go but I was doing a comparison video between 2 detectors and dug it. I was very surprised. Like most others have said, you never know what you may be passing up, so. . .

I've dug many keepers that didn't fit the norm for TID or audio. I still don't have the patience to dig everything, especially after doing that for an hours or so, but always dig any signal that seems off. For instance, one time I had a hit that didn't ID well and sounded a bit strange. Didn't quite match the typical junk tone, nor the nice solid coin tone. I passed it for a few steps, thought about it, retrieved it and it turned out to be a small, scotty dog charm from a bracelet marked .925 silver on the bottom. Another example - when you get a signal that bounces back and forth between several or more coin indications with a junk mixed in that just doesn't settle down ALWAYS DIG. Three or four times out of five, you'll uncover a coin spill. I admire those that can dig everything for hours in trashy areas, but if you aren't up to that be sure to always check any signal that seems strange. Every so often you'll be glad you did.
My two bits.
BB