Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

VDI numbers

Analog machines have VDI numbers extrapolated from the tone circuit, so to speak. Digital machines have tones generated based on VDI numbers.
Which planet did you come from ?

Everybody does not know everything about everything. Unless you are a superior being ?
Are you ?
Never mind ........I don't want to know.

Last edited:
I think it was on a Cheech and Chong album that said it best, “class…….. CALass…..CLASS! Shut up!!!!”

Meanwhile, back to the numbers…..
Been hunting a lot in 4khz and finding stuff we missed completely using the other machines. The one frustrating point has been the old style beavertail tabs ringing up 46 as are some of the deeper pennies and semi shallow dimes. I know the tone quality should be different but when the tail is bent around through the ring pull its just plain hard to tell. Im not convinced it would sound any different between 1-2-4-6-60……..

Been hunting a lot in 4khz and finding stuff we missed completely using the other machines. The one frustrating point has been the old style beavertail tabs ringing up 46 as are some of the deeper pennies and semi shallow dimes. I know the tone quality should be different but when the tail is bent around through the ring pull its just plain hard to tell. Im not convinced it would sound any different between 1-2-4-6-60……..
On a whites dfx , I could go to 15k and the pull tab would read much higher than best data would read.... There has to be a way to tell a tab, if it is a scratchy sound, more so than a coin sound or something else.

Elmy, 100% agree. So far, I’ve tried freq changes and not much difference and it ended up a fairly deep wheatie. Tried same on the beavertail style and just not enough difference to call it one way or another. Now the simple aluminum pop tops I’m getting better at……
I’m thinking the folded over beavertail is just plain is a difficult call.

Wow that got interesting.
So have you not used smf much and had better results using vlf ?

I would guess you don't have the minelab fbs or bbs... tone is every bit different than vdi numbers and maybe the legend also?
Your Minelab tones are way more nuanced, and way more telling than the tones on the Legend….the vid scale is also wider

Your Minelab tones are way more nuanced, and way more telling than the tones on the Legend….the vid scale is also wider
Yes....I thought I said that in a round about way above.
Thanks for further explanation.

There has to be a way to tell a tab,
Pardon my ignorance, and i know its personal preference but maybe sometime in the future they will have a detector that “sees” in the ground and gives a actual picture of what it is.
Maybe a good thing, or maybe takes the mystery and thrill out of it all. I think the grounds would eventually, truly be hunted out at that point of technology advancement. But in the meantime digging it up is the only way to know with 100% accuracy.
Here though is something i am trying to understand better. How do you distinguish say a piece of jewelry and a pull-tab ? So for example you go over something and you are pretty certain you have a great detector with vdi, numbers are really accurate, and you really know what your detector is telling you. You get something that you determine to be a pulltab so you skip over it. What tells you with almost 100% certainty you just didn’t leave a $1000 gold ring or necklace in the ground?
Being real sincere here as i am trying to learn more in depth. The biggest thing i am seeing with vdi is that nobody wants to dig everything, so my concern is what is the best indicators telling me that is definitely a pulltab, foil and not jewelry within say even 90% accuracy.

maybe sometime in the future they will have a detector that “sees” in the ground and gives a actual picture of what it is
Every detectorist out there at some point (or even more than once) wished to have a ground penetrating MRI that shows you exactly what's down there and can tell pulltabs from gold rings. Perhaps one day we'll have such technology, but it will mostly be used in forensic and industrial applications. Why? Same reason you typically go fishing with rods and reels, as opposed to nets and dynamite.

Every detectorist out there at some point (or even more than once) wished to have a ground penetrating MRI that shows you exactly what's down there and can tell pulltabs from gold rings. Perhaps one day we'll have such technology, but it will mostly be used in forensic and industrial applications. Why? Same reason you typically go fishing with rods and reels, as opposed to nets and dynamite.
Yeah I’m sure it will be used, militarily, industrial, forensics first, and I’m sure the technology is already here. But eventually like everything else affordable and released for public use.
Im talking where you take your driverless floating through the air (jetsons)vehicle to the park. it will happen but that’s besides the point and maybe my end question was understated

My experience to date iz a Bounty Hunter Lonestar (unk freq), a Fisher F5 (7.8 freq) and the F75 (13 freq). The Legend as opened up more finds (both good and not so good) but I’ve learned running if a 4khz has popped up coins the others missed for whatever the reason. That frequency also has put the EMI Hell Zone basically to sleep which is what, I believe, probably made those coins “detectable”. Also, being able to play with the IF and AG features helps as well.

I basically learned the Legend running it in M1 and M2 (SMF) until I was at a comfortable point in the learning curve. Now going back over the areas I had luck in and running the VLF and still finding good targets.

I could decipher different style pull tabs with my ML detectors, but they were all in the range of gold rings, so you were still digging them…I was digging on a beach, so no big deal to dig everything…

I do and considering going to 1.09 when i get a chance. Should i not lol ?
Just my own opinion, but I think the 1.07 was better, the iron tone improvement does not impress me, as I cannot tell the difference. Is there a way you could send me the 1.07, I would rather go back and Nokta does not have it on the site.

Just my own opinion, but I think the 1.07 was better, the iron tone improvement does not impress me, as I cannot tell the difference. Is there a way you could send me the 1.07, I would rather go back and Nokta does not have it on the site.
Well i had a heck of a time getting it in my detector how the heck do i even get it out