Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Vector Analysis Screen and GOLD

Smudge

For you V3i users, when you have found gold rings or jewlery, did the Vector Analysis Screen give you a straight line on the target or was it a more looping response, like you get when you find iron?

I'll let you answer that question Smudge. What did you get? I don't use the analysis screens so I will have to rely on my memory, straight lines.

We have tried both analysis screens and there is no way either can distinguish gold in any way. They both just give the same information as the Spectragraph and pin point screens, just in a different form. We did all the rings post when it was a V3 and when it was a V3i. Remember, the day a detector can tell you if it is gold rings or jewelry everyone will own one and a lot of other manufactures will be out of business.

I don't say, don't use the two screens just make sure you have a reason to use and know what it is. It would be a good discussion to explore what possible extra information the analysis and polar plot gives.

Sorry, no help from me, I don't use the analysis screen but the good targets are suppose to be straight.

I do not own a V3i. I am doing research on them to see if I want to get one and was wondering about the value of Vector Analysis Screen for that particular application.

I guess I'm wondering if there's any trick you can use on this detector to tell the difference between foil or can slaw versus gold, but I guess there is not.

Like Rob says, the second they develop that machine, everyone else goes out of business.

I have used and owned various brands none can ID gold.

I have an opinion about this, as far as know my detector would show at least the frequency is stronger so that could be the green line in spectagraph with the blue and red to be weaker according to targets composition or vice versa. Now on a pull tab will be the blue as dominant and red line only, no green line for aluminum pull tab. If you are not an owner of a v3i this is how v3i discriminates a good target from junk.

The other problem is that gold falls all over the place on the conductivity scale, which doesn't matters at all.

Smudge said:
The other problem is that gold falls all over the place on the conductivity scale, which doesn't matters at all.
Not always. But anyway I hope we get an answer about this if iron and gold falls in the same area with looping response. Great question Smudge.

Gold shouldn't fall in the left quadrant. You can't tell if a VDI 19 is a nickel, tab, or gold ring on your search screen. The polar plot gives the same information. Both will show 22.5 Khz dominate, both will show the same Vdi. I have found all these with this number.

Use what works for you.

Rusted bottle caps fool me everyday. I've had thin gold rings fool me. One thousand pieces of foil fool me....I met a guy who told me he doesn't dig pennys no pennys...No FAT class rings. No way to know for sure dig it all. Polar plot I used it in the very beginning I never look at it now. I love to dig it all.

Actually, I think most machines can ID gold....as a pulltab or foil..... :drinking:

Rob (IL) said:
Gold won't fall in the left quadrant. You can't tell if a VDI 19 is a nickel, tab, or gold ring on your search screen. The polar plot gives the same information. Both will show 22.5 Khz dominate, both will show the same Vdi. I have found all these with this number.

Use what works for you.
Hey Rob,do mean gold falls always from 0 and up?

cypearl said:
Rob (IL) said:
Gold won't fall in the left quadrant. You can't tell if a VDI 19 is a nickel, tab, or gold ring on your search screen. The polar plot gives the same information. Both will show 22.5 Khz dominate, both will show the same Vdi. I have found all these with this number.

Use what works for you.
Hey Rob,do mean gold falls always from 0 and up?

Hey Rob, FYI, Gold can read WELL into the negative numbers (the left quadrant). This gold chain bounced around from +7 all the way down to -27!

006-1.JPG

I love this thread.

Not just for the thoughtful, intelligent answers, and there has been plenty of them!

But it seems when it comes to jewelry hunting, no matter how expensive the machine you hunt with, no matter what information it gives you, it all boils down to knock out the iron and then "dig it all". :nerd:

You are correct chains will bounce into the negative. For whatever reason I got the impression we were talking rings for the most part. Whites does say, Lines in the upper-left quadrant represent ferrous targets. I don't go as low as you but have my tones set to read down to -10. Iron for bits for me would give a steady ticking and stay in the negative numbers. As you said your chain read positive and bounced into the negative. ( What's it read out of the ground?) In my soil if I set up my negative tones at 5 like Magic does my detector sounds like a Geiger counter. You should see what a magnet picks up.

[size=large]Any got a gold chain handy?[/size] See what you get in polar plot. I'm interested as I've never got a gold chain when using polar plot, that's because I don't use polar plot.

Rob (IL) said:
[size=large]Any got a gold chain handy?[/size] See what you get in polar plot. I'm interested as I've never got a gold chain when using polar plot, that's because I don't use polar plot.

cypearl said:
Neil what program did you use?

I use a modified Relic program.

FYI, The gold chain was a bench check using my wife's jewelry.

I only use Polar Plot to double check a deep target.

Smudge said:
I love this thread.

Not just for the thoughtful, intelligent answers, and there has been plenty of them!

But it seems when it comes to jewelry hunting, no matter how expensive the machine you hunt with, no matter what information it gives you, it all boils down to knock out the iron and then "dig it all". :nerd:

I accept all targets above -40.