Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Video of The Ultimate GPS Detecting combination

ptdigger

I finally had the time to make a video of Maprika in action. Here is a link to my original post.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?86,1880697

And the video, we both failed acting class. But I think you will get the point of Maprika.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=8umPUDRkLJ4

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! Lot's of people complain that there is no good places to hunt. Nice job!

Yes it it is a free app.

Here is a second video we made.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z7LuC5jQ1Zc

Wow, makes me want to get a tablet! I wish they had the app as a program for PC (my phone is a Blackberry). I could always steal the wife's iPhone.... ;)

ironman200081 said:
Wow, makes me want to get a tablet! I wish they had the app as a program for PC (my phone is a Blackberry). I could always steal the wife's iPhone.... ;)

There are several applications for PCs that do the same thing and more. I'm a bit surprised that this discussion is in this section of the forum. Since it is not directly related to CTX, it really belongs in the Mapping or GPS sections where such applications were discussed numerous times. OTOH maybe it simply gets more attention here because CTX users are getting more aware of benefits which GPS can offer in metal detecting.

that is the case Andrew. It is remarkable what we are able to do with the technology that is available to us now. We might as well all utilize it in our future hunting adventures.

GateKeeper said:
that is the case Andrew. It is remarkable what we are able to do with the technology that is available to us now. We might as well all utilize it in our future hunting adventures.

Yeah, I know. I also know that sometimes it doesn't matter what is said but who says it. For 7 or so years I (and few others) have been telling people of this forum that GPS is good for detecting and it gets mostly ignored. Minelab builds in a GPS into one of their machines (a truly smart move) and CTX users get awaken to the whole idea while others are still asleep. Don't get me wrong. It's not a complaint. It's an observation. I also think that this is a good reason to allow some not CTX GPS/map discussion here. In other words; you were perfectly right not to move it to a different section.

You know Andrew, I couldn't agree more. Some people are just set in there ways, and there is nothing wrong with that. So if those same people choose not to go the extra mile, so be it. I've been very thankful to You, Labrador Bob, Randy Horton, and even recently with Charles Biel. With the knowledge that I've been able to absorb, it has made me basically an amateur archaeologist, and I want to learn more.

Thank you ptdigger and your partner for taking the time to make a great and knowledgeable video. I myself uploaded Maprika and have already put it to go use. Hopefully more will get on board to take this fun sport to the next level. :detecting:

I have scanned the internet for maps of my area and there is nothing but a few with two of them being sanborn maps, one being an 1825 agricultural map showing very few locations which I know there were probably more, and a couple of historical documentary maps of my town with maps showing historical houses. Thing is the 1825 map and the others are distorted from the actual geographical features of the way things actually sit around here. I have put these maps into maprika and created roughly 70+ points on the maps to make them line up right. It won't work because the people who made the maps made some errors. How can I deal with this type of problem? Are there other types of maps the library would have that the internet doesn't offer?

My other concern is that I have a laptop. How would I go about making my laptop work with this application as a gps?

Check with your local Historical Society. They will usually have maps dating back to the 1800's and are usually helpful.

GateKeeper said:
Check with your local Historical Society. They will usually have maps dating back to the 1800's and are usually helpful.

Thanks Gatekeeper. Now I need to figure out how to turn my laptop into a gps using this application.

Have you tried the "Library of Congress" site? They had lot of high resolution old maps of my area. Here is a link.

http://www.loc.gov/index.html

If your map gets away from your current position, you can touch the dot that shows your current position and a arrow will pop up on the right of the dialog box. Touch that arrow and then touch "I am not here let me correct " . A red position marker will appear and you move the red position marker to your current position and tap "I am here" in the lower right hand corner. This is shown in the second video. You may have to do this if your position is off.

In the making of these maps, roads were measured with a wheel barrel odometer, every thing was written in the field measurements and directions.They would ask the name of the owner of the house as they passed. Then it was all translated in an office and put to paper. The old maps can be off, but I have found they are pretty accurate considering the way they were made.

ptdigger said:
Have you tried the "Library of Congress" site? They had lot of high resolution old maps of my area. Here is a link.

http://www.loc.gov/index.html

Yes, and it only had the 1825 map which is accurate in some spots, but not others. It also has very very obvious errors like roads that go in the wrong directions. The reason I know this is because the errors make themselves very apparent in Google Earth.

The maps I am using are from the Library of Congress are County Maps with very high resolution. See if they have a map of your County and then zoom in for Street level detail. The County maps they have with that level of detail are large files in the jp2 format, about 30-60 megabytes in size.

That's the map I was talking about. No worries though because I'll probably have to stop by the historical society or library for a good map.