Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

:video:XP DEUS VDI Numbers Videos I made..

Diggin-it

Good videos! I see one thing you have to follow when adjusting the Deus. You have to have the coil in the air when you adjust anything on the machine per it retunes itself when you push a button.

A Good video and good fun..

Forget the numbers dig using your ears and you will miss near to nothing.

I would only worry about the find itself when its in my hands.

By the way get yourself a "film screen protector" and then place the contoller in a protective cover.

My oldest Deus is now nearly 3 years and the controller is still almost like new.

Its a magic piece of kit.

Have fun.:thumbup: Jerry.

I agree with Jerry, when a good target is close to iron the iron will drag the numbers down of the good target.

Just a thought. Try it over the bottle caps again and then re-do it again at about a distance of 6" and see if and by how much your numbers change.

DirtAngler said:
Just a thought. Try it over the bottle caps again and then re-do it again at about a distance of 6" and see if and by how much your numbers change.

This was an air test so I expect all the targets to read alittle different in the ground...this was just to demonstrate the VDI numbers at the different frequencies.

Yes, I understand what your test demonstrated and applaud you on the work and time involved. My point is that most air test are done at a distance of 1" to 3" above the targets. When you do the same air tests at 6" to 8", the results can be significantly different, especially when doing a reactivity test. I tried replicating your air test on bottlecaps and got significantly different VDI's on the bottlecap when changing the air test distance from near target to a further distance. Same holds true on a reactivity test. Close air tests allow fast swings and target detection, do the same thing with the same setting but now further from the targets and there's a big difference in detection. Try it and let me know what your tests show.

Hi there and thanks for the vids! Just a few questions... Forgive me my "ignorance" - I am asking on behalf of my 14-years old son whom I've got Deus (I know - not the best choice for a kid with 1 year experience on Garrett Ace...). He is trying to catch with me, hunting with CTX3030 and totally fails - I can easily recognize bottle caps, pull tabs and rusty nails and he cannot so I see he gets really flustrated... I have decided to help him a bit, subscribed to RSS feed for Deus, watching a lot of vids on YouTube, but I am getting a bit confused....:

1) how come that ss (junk) ring reads on the left side of horse-shoe? I thought it should be on the right side along with all other iron (provided there is no disc set)
2) I have read a lot about "chirp" on a junk targets (incl. bottle caps and even pull tabs), but out of this set of videos I couldn't hear ANY... I can already hear it myself when swinging over rusty nails, but no sound difference on pull tabs or bottle caps and the numbers for this junk are the same as for a lot of non-silver good targets as seen on the vids...

Thank you very much in advance for some "dummy-proof" answers!!!

Eyesight

Pull tabs are real tough, like you, I can't tell any difference in them or a good target. Bottlecaps most of the time have a slight buzz tone and not the clear crisp tone that a coin has but then again in the field it could be a coin with another target in close proximity. For what an air test is worth, lay a bottlecap and a quarter in a clean patch of ground and he should hear the slight difference between the two.

1. Are you sure the disc was set at 0? If so, then nothing should be showing up on the left side of the horseshoe.

2. Use the numbers as a guide to set the tones for your targets, but don

I liked the videos and thought they were very informative. I think they are particularly helpful in identifying the nuances of good targets. What would be awesome is having exactly these videos for a wide range of common trash. Comparing the nuances between good/bad target responses would be a treasure trove of information. Thanks for making these videos and posting them. I am sure a lot of people will learn something here. -Marc

I just realized that I had somehow set this series of videos as "Private"...OOPS!! Anyways, anyone new to the XP Deus might find these videos interesting. They demonstrate how the numbers change for targets when you change the Frequencies.

HH

bottle caps are more hearable as junk when u set the silencer on -1, the silencer makes the sound more clear instead of cirpy, i can hear crowntops or bear bottle caps or whatever it's called, in this order of sound (iron:clear:iron) this is when u have disc set and iron volume high and reactivity on 2 or higher. pulltabs however i can't hear the difference so its always a dig unless u want to miss digging gold and only do coinhunting

So are you saying that changing the settings you mentioned will change the numbers? I spent the time doing the videos as a demonstration of different target numbers, but if they are somehow misleading people then I will remove my videos.

You videos have some good info., as always different things affect any outcome. Keep the videos up as they are a good source of info.

very very good video's, thanks for that. allot of users of metaldetectors don't believe that gold can come in very very low numbers on a VDI, great veriaty of gold objects and good explenation.
video's should be made this way , thumbsup!!!!!

from this test (and others i've seen online), the numbers seem completely meaningless if a new(er) nickel, a pull-tab, and a gold ring all show the same number. i'll have to rerun and listen more closely to see if the sounds differ.

and what is that crosshair-in-a-circle inside the horseshoe? it flashes on some targets and not on others--seemingly on one gold ring and not the next gold ring right beside it--i could detect no pattern or predictability as to when it flashes. i just re-read my manual last night and i just don't remember them mentioning what it represents although they do (sort of) explain the horseshoe which seems infinitely more useful than the ?reactive graph? ?bell-curse? graphic.

also, i guess the 'pitch' program is not popular at all as i guess most of you old timers came from the old days when pitch was all you had. i can find no video examples of anyone using it. i'm sorta intrigued by it as i'm a radio guy and used to bfo's and vfo's in receiving equipment and thought that program might be more useful than it seems to be.

i apologize if these are dumb questions/observations. i've only had my deus a couple weeks and no practice or outings yet and i've never detected at all. attempting to learn by reading and viewing everything i can waiting for good enough weather to go out and dig for pull-tabs--gotta pay my dues, i'm sure. [g]

/guy

gteague said:
from this test (and others i've seen online), the numbers seem completely meaningless if a new(er) nickel, a pull-tab, and a gold ring all show the same number. i'll have to rerun and listen more closely to see if the sounds differ.

and what is that crosshair-in-a-circle inside the horseshoe? it flashes on some targets and not on others--seemingly on one gold ring and not the next gold ring right beside it--i could detect no pattern or predictability as to when it flashes. i just re-read my manual last night and i just don't remember them mentioning what it represents although they do (sort of) explain the horseshoe which seems infinitely more useful than the ?reactive graph? ?bell-curse? graphic.

also, i guess the 'pitch' program is not popular at all as i guess most of you old timers came from the old days when pitch was all you had. i can find no video examples of anyone using it. i'm sorta intrigued by it as i'm a radio guy and used to bfo's and vfo's in receiving equipment and thought that program might be more useful than it seems to be.

i apologize if these are dumb questions/observations. i've only had my deus a couple weeks and no practice or outings yet and i've never detected at all. attempting to learn by reading and viewing everything i can waiting for good enough weather to go out and dig for pull-tabs--gotta pay my dues, i'm sure. [g]

/guy

First of all Welcome to the Hobby!! I made the videos last summer right after I got the machine, the videos were as much for my own reference as sharing with others. I ran the machine in Basic 1....not changing Anything but frequency for each of the 4 test runs. The XP Deus is a fairly advanced machine...meaning it is very customizable, lots of settings that can be adjusted to best suit your hunting situation.

Most of the questions you have I can not answer...But there are many on here that can so ask around and someone will help you out. I am still learning the machine myself so I have not really been playing with settings, but I know it can do some pretty amazing things. The one remark I will comment on is "the numbers seem completely meaningless if a new(er) nickel, a pull-tab, and a gold ring all show the same number". Welcome to metal detecting :lmfao:...all metal detectors treat those targets the same way. Some detectors might show a slight difference in VDI numbers but they sound the same...but the thing is....you dig everything in that range!! A wise man once told me....if you are not digging pull tabs, you are not going to dig gold! Never, ever notch out pull tabs (or the VDI range they fall into) unless you are specifically NOT hunting for gold.

If someone does not answer the more specific questions in this post...start a new thread and ask them, someone on here I know can answer them properly.

Good Luck and HH

thank you very much for the warm welcome and for the videos. when you are starting out, all resources available are needed and i need all i can get!

i subsequently found out what that crosshair icon seems to be (i thought i posted it, but i must have missed the 'post' button). it seems to flash when the signal is full strength. but considering you can see it is full strength by the shading of the right side of the horseshoe, the crosshair seems a little redundant and might have been used for something else. and maybe it is and i'm just not understanding its function fully.

/guy