Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Vintage Coin Hunter

Thom

I bought a good looking vintage Coin Hunter. I haven't been able to find a copy of the manual for it. With fresh batteries (three nine volts) nothing. I wonder if it should work by just turning on the power/volume switch or do I need to "jump start" it? If so, how? Thanks.

Which 'vintage' Coin Hunter model did you buy? A Grey or Green housing? A BFO or TR-Disc. or VLF/TR-Disc.?

It gets tricky trying to buy a ;vintage' detector, especially off e-bay or similar outlet. I see so many through the past decade or two that are being sold with a wrong search coil and many that do not work,. I always try to go one-on-one with a person and, if possible, check out the detector BEFORE I buy it.

I have four 'vintage' detectors that look great and work well, just as designed. Actually six, if I count the Garrett Hunter BFO. I have thinned down my collction of Owner Manuals but who knws, I might have one. Let us know which model, by desription, you have and I'll see if I can help.

Did it only come with one search coil? Can you escribed the coil?

Monte

It has a "double" coil with a switch to choose small or large coil.
Well, that would be the dual-coil BFO and, to be honest, in that past 30 years I have only come across one out of many that worked properly. I have a very nice condition unit that does work well, and none I have encountered and checked out at private party's worked as well. Some didn't work at all.

If the batteries are fresh and strong, turn the unit On and adjust the Tuner control toward Metal or Mineral from the 'NULL' dividing point. You should hear an audible 'motor-boating' sound IF the unit is working at least that well. If so, reduce the control to the 'NULL' area and it will be silent. Then, slowly adjust the Tuner control toward the Metal direction just until you hear a slow 'motor-boating' or 'putting' audio. It will then be tuned for most coins and jewelry.

I hope you didn't over-pay for a non-functioning detector. I have mine for sale and the buyer gets a clean and decent-working unit.

Monte

If you can't get it working, Kieth Wills at East Texas Metal Detectors may be able to repair it. Maybe even Garrett or a good hobbyist electronics guy might. They are pretty straight forward machines. It would be fun to play with.

I paid $20 and have messaged the seller about the inop. He says he will refund my money.
'Thom', that sounds like a good deal, except for the cost of shipping. If it was a local hand-to-hand deal that would be great.
Monte