Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Vintage Lens Test ..................

Kelley (Texas)

Recently, there was a discussion on the Forum concerning using vintage lenses. Some folks are of the opinion that they will not produce a picture equal to one taken using a modern made lens. I take the position that if used properly, a vintage lens is indeed capable of producing a sharp, colorful picture on par with many modern made lenses. The vintage lens will require a tab more work because they are manual operated, but you benefit by being able to purchase them at bargain prices on eBay, Craig's List, garage sales, and etc. I am just giving you something to think about......it is all about having fun!

Below is a picture that I recently took using a vintage Sigma 28-85mm F3.5 zoom lens mounted on my Sony NEX-6 camera. I used the following the following settings: F8, 1/640 sec., ISO 200, manual focus, Manual Mode, hand held. I purchased this lens for less than $50 dollars and I am happy with the pictures that it has produced. I consider this lens to be a keeper. Kelley (Texas) :)

[attachment 333535 008edited7-19-16sigma28-85mmf3.5zoomlenstestpicturetwo.jpg]

Vibrant colors, magnificent photo! Great Subject matter... Trains , Ships, Planes, the Ocean, can't beat em..:thumbup:

Great to hear you found a lens that works for you and takes wonderful pictures.

Great picture Fred.. I love the colors and the clouds.
Looks like they had to repaint some of the car, so they could paint their numbers back on the car...
Yes, that lens is a keeper...:cam:

Not every camera can use an adaptor and other lens...
With my Sony NEX 5 T, they make several different adaptors, to use other lens... I have 2 adaptors, I can use Minolta lens and Nikon lens.
I have like 7 Nikon lens and my son in law has a bunch of Nikon film lens
I wonder if the mirror less cameras are the only ones that can use the adaptors and other lens...
I watched a Youtube video,, the guy had several adaptors and several different lens for his Sony NEX camera....
He had 3 Sony lens that cost as much as all the other different lens that he had...Sony, Nikon, Canon, and others, have some high
priced glass...

They make adaptors with a lens in the adaptor,, I wondered what that was for, well if you have an adaptor with the lens in it, it lets in more light,
to the sensor...
That would make it better in low light....
Bj

Vintage Lens? Never considered Sigma as Vintage. Shoot in manual mode and bracket exposures. Then learn Paintshop Pro by Corel. Want to shoot a panorama? Get Panorama Factory. Makes a better wide shot.

Oh! This picture was edited using Corel PaintShop Pro X7 software. Hopefully, you will be able to teach me a few things about the software because up until now, I have been self taught in using it to edit my pictures...I have so much to learn. Kelley (Texas) :)

THEMARTAMAN1941 said:
Vintage Lens? Never considered Sigma as Vintage. Shoot in manual mode and bracket exposures. Then learn Paintshop Pro by Corel. Want to shoot a panorama? Get Panorama Factory. Makes a better wide shot.

Vintage Lens ?,,,, What would you call a lens that's over 30, 40 years old ????
Mr. Kelley's camera and mine will shoot in Panorama mode,, but what use is that on a forum...
Sigma lens corporation was founded in like Sept.1961,,, that's like 54 years....
Please teach us what you learned in 10 years in the Studio, like Mr. Kelley, many of us are self taught and take picture's for fun...
Bj

I started with Paintshop Pro back in 2001, self taught to edit my pictures for ebay.
When I switched from Windows XP to a Linux OS in 2009, started using Gimp, had to learn it. Not as nice as PS Pro.
Tried getting PSP X2 to work on Wine in Linux, no go, so i ran it in Virtualbox emulating Win XP. It ran but, very slow. Abandoned it.
Since adding a 2nd hard drive to my computer loaded with Win 7, purchased and installed PSP X8. Re-learning it and it has some really cool stuff.
Routinely now, when editing pictures I will boot up the Win 7 hard drive and use PSP X8. I am no expert at PSP, do have a sequence of steps I use to edit a picture.
Much is done by feel, at this point know what to do and how much to adjust and what to expect. There's a lot of tutorials on youtube or on the web that would be of great help.
best way to learn is by doing.

Sven said:
I started with Paintshop Pro back in 2001, self taught to edit my pictures for ebay.
When I switched from Windows XP to a Linux OS in 2009, started using Gimp, had to learn it. Not as nice as PS Pro.
Tried getting PSP X2 to work on Wine in Linux, no go, so i ran it in Virtualbox emulating Win XP. It ran but, very slow. Abandoned it.
Since adding a 2nd hard drive to my computer loaded with Win 7, purchased and installed PSP X8. Re-learning it and it has some really cool stuff.
Routinely now, when editing pictures I will boot up the Win 7 hard drive and use PSP X8. I am no expert at PSP, do have a sequence of steps I use to edit a picture.
Much is done by feel, at this point know what to do and how much to adjust and what to expect. There's a lot of tutorials on youtube or on the web that would be of great help.
best way to learn is by doing.

_________________________________________________________________________________

I had a old Dell computer with only Linux on it,, I liked it,, back then they had a free virus scan..
I have 3 computers, 1 with Windows 7,, and MC keeps trying to get me to up grade to Windows 10, for free,, I don't like 10,, I like XP best,, that's what's on the other 2 computers..
The computer with windows 7 has Adobe Photoshop,,, I am lost in it,, my computers with XP have a old JASC paint shop pro on them, not so lost in it.....
Hurry up and learn your new camera and post some pictures...
Bj

I just installed this on my mothers new computer with Win 7, got rid of the tray icon and stops the annoying update to 10 pop ups.
If you do any Win 7 updates, MS might install the file again. If it does you just click on the app again and it goes away.
https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

One reason I went to Linux, using Mint 17.2 now -- don't have to deal with MS BS.
Gimp is like Photoshop and its free. I just like PSP much better.

Lot of videos on youtube for Paintshop Pro. I have Win 10 on all my computers now. 3 Desktops and 2 laptops. Also on Mac Mini using Parallels. My time in a commercial studio helped me learn good from bad. Spent most of my time in a darkroom. I learned there is no such thing as a straight print. All images can use help. I used Photoshop and had to relearn when I switched. I download videos with Netvideohunter. Go back to them without hunting all over. Relabel so you know what they cover.

Great shot, Kelley.
Wonderful composition. Like it a lot.
Yup, I also think it's a keeper.

Best