Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Vulcan 360 pinpointer review - The Good, The Bad, and the Really Ugly:thumbdown:

marcomo

First off, I want to say the performance of the Vulcan 360 is a big step up performance wise for Chinese made-for-Kellyco stuff. This is a much better product than Kellyco's Automax line of pinpointers.

Since I've loved the Garrett Pro-Pointer the past 5+ years, and lots of other people have too, I'm comparing the Vulcan 360 to it. The actual selling price between the two units is similar. Like the Minelab Pro-Find and White's amazing new TRX, the Vulcan 360 design is obviously inspired by the Pro-Pointer.

First, the things I like better about the Vulcan than the Pro-Pointer: It's deeper. At the highest level of sensitivity my Vulcan 360 was stable and 1/8" deeper than my newest Pro-Pointer in the air on a clad dime. I couldn't tell any difference in the ground. And it has a bright orange base. That helps if you accidentally leave it behind. And that's it for what I like better.

What I don't like as well: The audio and vibration modulation. The Pro-Pointer modulation has a nice smooth linear progression in intensity. The Vulcan 360 progression is way more jumpy.

I don't like the feel of the Vulcan 360 as well. The Pro-Pointer plastic is textured and the feel is solid. The Vulcan 360 plastic is slick and feels cheap. Where the Pro Pointer is one solid piece, the Vulcan 360 has a seam running horizontally across the length of the unit. I would imagine the Vulcan 360 won't hold up as well, but I'll never know. Not from experience, anyway.

I don't like how easily the Vulcan 360 on/off button pushes on. More than once in the almost two hunts I used it the button accidentally got turned on when I wasn't using the pinpointer.

I don't like that the Vulcan is Chinese made. I've got my share of Chinese junk like most of us, it's pretty much impossible to avoid. And to be honest, it's not all junk. I'd prefer to buy US made products, but I'm not fanatical. In many cases, Chinese products are at least reasonably good in quality and very good on price. But not when it comes to metal detectors and metal detecting equipment. I like that I can support US made products since a good percentage of quality detectors and detecting equipment are made in the USA.

What I really don't like about the Vulcan 360 is you have to use a jeweler's screwdriver (supplied, along with extra screws) to remove the base when you replace or check the power level of the 9V battery. The Pro-Pointer just unscrews. And that's a big help because with both the Vulcan and the Pro-Pointer, when the low battery sound goes off you're done with that battery. You might get a few more retrievals by turning the unit off for a while, but you won't hunt for long without replacing the battery. I have a cheap little battery tester I bought for a few bucks online so I can periodically test the battery before I go out to detect. I carry extra batteries too, but in my gear bag, not on my person. I'm not always close to my gear bag, so I'd rather not have my batteries crapping out in mid-hunt.

The really ugly, the absolute dealbreaker, was the Vulcan 360 "3 second automatic start-up sequence." It was actually closer to 4 seconds. The bottom line is every time you turn the Vulcan 360 on, you have to wait about 4 seconds to use it. 4 seconds may not sound like long, but when you're used to having your pinpointer in the hole a split second after turning it on, 4 seconds seems like an eternity.

One final note. I bought the Vulcan 360 second-hand but in new condition from someone who got it but never used it. I assume he had gotten it as an add-on in a Kellyco package deal. I had seen multiple people on the forum who had bought it and were happy with the product so I thought I'd give it a try. I used it twice and sold it. The guy I sold it to emailed me the second day after he got it that it had broken. The battery compartment had come loose. He did say he was able to fix it except for the light. He told me that Kellyco told him it was a design flaw and he'd just have to be more careful with it...

The really ugly, the absolute dealbreaker, was the Vulcan 360 "3 second automatic start-up sequence." It was actually closer to 4 seconds. The bottom line is every time you turn the Vulcan 360 on, you have to wait about 4 seconds to use it. 4 seconds may not sound like long, but when you're used to having your pinpointer in the hole a split second after turning it on, 4 seconds seems like an eternity.

I think that would be a dealbreaker for me,,,,,glad you pointed it out. !!!

So far I love mine. I have had no problems with it. Depth is excellent, no falseing. Depending on what you have the sensitivity set at start up is how long it takes to turn on. So set at 4 then 4 beeps, if 3 then 3 beeps and so forth. For me does not really bother me to have to wait a couple of seconds. I pull it out of its holder turn it on and put it in the hole. By that time it is only like a second you wait. Me most of my targets are in the 6 inch range and I just use my digging probe. If its deeper well then I have my Vulcan with me. I will have to wait a few more months to see how durable it is

Klever - I will agree with you that the Vulcan 360 is stable and gets decent depth. Some reports seem to indicate better depth than I got, so it wouldn't surprise me at all if I had a "cold" unit depth wise. Hopefully the Vulcan will be more durable for you than the history of my unit suggests.

I know I've had multiple Chinese-made Detector Pro Pistol Probes and from hottest to coldest the airtest depth difference has been over an inch.

Marcomo, Yep I am also hoping for durability. I am in one of those times when I need to be out every minute I possibly can. So it will be getting a lot of use:crazy: To be honest this is the first pinpointer I have ever had. I have been hunting off and on for the better part of 12 years. Now I wonder why I never bought one before. If I accidentally leave to go detect and forget it I start to panic, haha

Klever, a pinpointer definitely spoils you. The days of waving handfuls of dirt across the coil may not be forgotten, but they are gone for sure. Hope your Vulcan does very well for you.

Nice review. I was just looking at the Vulcan on KellyCo. I think
I will stick with American Made. I have the Garrett Pro pointer but
I'm going to give Whites TRX a shot.I've not read to many negatives
about The TRX.
Thanks again for your report.
Robt2300

Thank you for the kind words, Robert. The Vulcan 360 is being sold for $120 on the Kellyco website and quite honestly I couldn't recommend it even at a fraction of that price.

Used the TRX again today and I'm very impressed with its performance. I want to use it a little more before I write anything too extensive.

The Pro-Pointer does seem more solid than the TRX and I prefer the textured plastic and hand feel of the Pro Pointer. But that's a minor knock on the TRX. It's easy to use like the Pro Pointer but at the same time much more versatile. There is a menu (surprisingly, not mentioned in the manual) where you have the option of 4 sensitivity levels. Default is level 3 and it is deep and so far has been stable the three times I've used it. The audio can be on or off, the vibration can be on or off. You can change the tone to suit your hearing. Go to the Whites forum here or the Whites website for instructions on how to change the settings.

While the plastic casing on the TRX does seem thinner and not as sturdy as the Pro Pointer, apparently it can be easiiy replaced if it needs to be. And the unit is under warranty for 2 years so even if time shows it to be not as sturdy, you're covered for those 2 years.

Be aware that unlike the Pro Pointer the TRX has most of its power through the tip of the unit. The bottom part of the shaft has a little power, but not much. I don't know at this point that I can say one way is better than the other in a plug, it's just a different way of cracking the same nut. When you're using the pinpointer for a shallower screwdriver or equivalent pop retrieval, the power in the tip is more precise. And with a unit that gets 3" or more, I am doing more coin pop retrievals

My biggest knock on the TRX right now is that you have to hold the on/off button down to turn it off. I haven't timed it, it's not long. Maybe a second at most. But being used to the instant on/off of the Pro Pointer it is an adjustment.

MARCOMO

check this out and tell me if it works on your Vulcan 360

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?22,1180267

Robt2300

great unbiased review, I'm sticking to my propointers :)

Robert 2300, I tried that with my 360 it only gained about a half inch. Kind of cool but how does that work in the field. Are you going to stick a coin up the shaft and then look for the object. in a deep hole. Me personally I don't really want a pin pointer that goes 4 inches. That is what I have my detector for, Give me a couple and I am fine.... Plus just seems like extra work in the field. But that is just me. I wonder though how this person even figured that out, :)

Whether you use a sliding coin, Ism's sidekick, or the blade of your digger, basically what you are doing is using metal on the side of the shaft to supertune the Pro Pointer.

That can be helpful for more depth, but often at the price of stability.

I bought the Vulcan 360 2 weeks ago and just this evening I had the entire insides pull out while removing the battery. The battery in this unit is very very tight and hard to remove. I have removed it a few other times because the battery kept losing connection and this time the entire insides came out....it's not just the battery compartment because the battery compartment is connected to the board and coil. I pushed it back in and also have an issue with the LED light which fell into the unit. I spoke to a rep a Kellyco but he said his bosses went home already so he would have to call me back on Monday. What a drag! I was also having trouble with it going off for no reason and would have to turn it off and back on again to reset it. I'm hoping I just got a lemon and this isn't a $120 mistake!

I feel for you, Nick. I felt awful when the guy I sold mine to said it broke the second time he used it. Hopefully Kellyco will replace it for you, I can't see any legitimate reason they wouldn't.

The bosses went home already? That one floors me.

I call Chuck and I get Chuck. I call Richard and I get Richard. I call Ralph and I get Ralph. Call Bart get Bart. Call Kevin get Kevin. Call Ron, get Ron. Call Don get Don. I'm sure I've left out some worthy names, but I think you can see where I'm going here.

There are a lot of fine sponsor/owners on this forum who you can talk to personally and they back up what they sell without having to ask the bosses...they are the bosses.

They ain't getting rich selling metal detectors, and most of them are in it because they love the hobby just like we do. That's the kind of people I want to buy from.

Update on my Vulcan, I have noticed a few issues. For one has to do with the battery compartment. The battery they have installed is a 9 volt. Well it is a little wider then say a Duracell 9 volt. So it is actually loose and when using just shuts itself off and many times when it does this it I have to unscrew the battery compartment and fiddle with it. I finally got a little piece of cardboard and slid it in with it and that works pretty good for the most part. I also noticed it falses every so often. So have to shut it off and restart. I still really like it when everything is working correctly though. And it seems durable but only time will tell

Bought mine "New" (note the quotes) from a private party on Ebay who chose to keep his Garrett. No explanation given. I did inspect the tip closely with a magnifying glass and it did appear to be unused. Saved about $20 or so. I replaced the battery just to gauge the difficulty and see how the unit ran with a confirmed new battery. I had no difficulty removing the "Vulcan360 wrapped battery" and the EverReady installed without problem. This is my first pin-pointer so I have no basis for comparison. I used it on my first F5 hunt at a local park that had 4 baseball fields. Netted a little over $13 in clad at 2-4" depths with the Vulcan working perfectly (so far anyway). The start up delay is really no bother for someone never owning a pin-pointer before I guess. I'll amend this post if the thing implodes to let everyone know.

I had one of the few Vulcan's that had a few issues with the battery compartment. I shipped it back to Kellyco after they shipped me a new one. Have not had any issues with it since it was returned. Had it out for about 8 hours today and it worked great. If it stays like this then I will be totally happy......

I was going to buy a vulcan for a backup to my gpp.Because i had to send my gpp in for repairs.But from what iam hearing here i will pass on the vulcan and probably spend a little more on a minelab or trx.

Great review marcomo.

Just wanted to weigh in on the TRX. Been using mine for 6 months. I changed the batteries once. The depth is incredible. The falsing is nonexistent. Takes a little getting used to to point with the tip not just the whole shaft. My recovery times are now so much faster, and damaged coins are no longer an issue. It could use a briter light and a little more volume for those noisy areas but not real bad. It floats and I submerge mine all the time in creeks and lakes. ( I already know it's not claimed to be waterproof.)

Anyway it's made it through 6 months with no issues.

I find the $89 Deteknix XPointer does everything I expect from a PP. And from the video's on youtube, does just as well (or sometimes better) as the big boys.