Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

VX3 Questions

moose57

I can not afford the V3I.I am looking at the VX3.You people that have experince on the VX3 what ccan you tell me about this detectors performance.First how deep will this
detector go on a coin size target like a quarter,dime ,and a nickle.Second how does the two different filters work and which filter would work better in low mineralized
ground.Third if you run with all three freq.at the same time will it still go deep on general hunting like parks,schools.camp grounds.and in the open fields.Fourth what are
some these different setings that I am reading about like in the 50's if your in trash and if your in clean ground areas some say run in the 90's please explain.I need all the
help you can give to me on The VX3.And how and when do you use the deep silver program.Thank you for your help and time..

All of your questions have been answered before, so for detailed answers, read past posts, but in short: The VX3 and V3i are the same detector were the VX has a simplified user interface so depth will be the same or close to it. Depth and filters used will vary greatly depending on your ground and hunting skills. Three frequency does indeed go deep and you might be referring to the recovery delay of 50 in trash and 90 in clean ground, but again that is just what I use, you may have better luck with other settings. Some people use the deep silver program when hunting for deep silver targets but I prefer to use Hi Pro.

If you get a VX, I would suggest using the preset programs and hunt and just have fun, learn how different settings affects you in your ground and make adjustments from there. The settings for one person might be completely different from what is best for you.

I found my first ring and first wheatie within 24 hours of getting my VX3. Because it goes deeper than my XLT, it really detects a lot more targets. I am finding more and deeper coins. It has slowed down my detecting because I am constantly pinpointing and deciding whether to dig. I am enjoying it immensely.

I'm in the same boat as you, Moose. I cannot swing the extra for a V3i. Many say the difference price wise is minimal for what you get in performance between the V3i and Vx3. Especially once you add the charger pack and D2 coil to the price of a Vx3. Honestly, I like the 950 coil. I had a 6x10, 950, and a 5.3 with my MXT and I preferred the 950 or 5.3 depending on the trash. So the "downgrade" in that respect, isn't so much of one to me with the Vx3. Plus I've been hearing of some glitches with the D2 coil lately. Now the charger would be a definite purchase since the V machines appear to use much more juice than my previous machines. As always, Larry gives excellent advice, but as to reading previous threads, I assure you, there aren't that many about the Vx3 to read that give much info on performance as compared to the V3i,DFX, or even the XLT. Having an interest in purchasing this machine, I read every thread that I can find on the Vx3 in this and other forums. It's easy to see by the comparison charts to the V3i, that the Vx3 is a simplified version of the V3i and from the forums you can see that most V3i owners would rather keep the V3i. No kidding?! You guys already have the best, and they are based off of the same platform, why on earth would you downgrade? Obviously there are many detectorists out there who are drawn to the Vx3 either due to financial constraints or they are interested in a top notch machine with a friendlier user interface... Lukeaa...thank you for the post on your views of your new machine. These are the kind of posts we 'newbies' to the V machines are interested in. I know you are comparing your Vx3 to an older machine running only one frequency, but I'm sure there are many DFX, XLT, and MXT users out there looking to make the jump into one of these detectors. The actual test results are much more intriguing than the "read this chart" response. Just my .02

Good huntin',
Travis

I was going to go with the VX3 but at the last minute went with the V3i . I got my first Indian this last week end with the V3i it was 9 inches deep . Take your time and start with one program and learn it . I like the HI-PRO program and the Deep Silver the two have got silver . Good luck and find some silver.:twodetecting::whites::cheers:

Just bought the VX3 after many years of the DFX. Put in about 30 hours at the Jersey shore last week. Not a lot of finds cosidering the amount of hours but first impressions are that this machine is quite accurate. Will be looking forward to testing it out in spots where I cleaned out of lots of silver coins in the woods.

Get to a spot with more coins. It doesn't matter if it is clad, it will be good practice. Run it as hot as you need but keep it stable. Adjust this depending on the trash. Good luck. ROB

Love the unit! The advice here is good.
Used the 950 coil with good luck so far, as the clad keeps coming out! No silver yet, but the pennies from 7-9 inches are back into the '20s!!!!
No problem with depth... I have used different settings... HI-Pro and Coins and Jewelry are good settings... One fine gold plated chain at 5 inches gives you an idea of a sensitive unit!
Would like to here from anyone with 6X8 SEF coil, or similar. I have the 6X10...not the best for coins in this ground. will save it for the goldfields! Any other thoughts from anyone other than the 5.3 ?

I have, but seldom use the 6X8.......... that is going just a little bit too slow for me. It is a good coil for getting in between the trash though and just a slightly smaller version of the 6X10 so my guess is if you don't like the 6X10 for coin hunting, you will not like the 6X8 either.

Thanks Larry.
I need a smaller coil for nugget hunting and for trash sites. I use to use the 4x6 Shooter..loved it on my MXT.
The 6X10 seems to want to find Bottle caps... but by running on single 7.5 freq things work fine. I do like the 6X10 coil, but...Seems as tho one is defeating the 3 Freq. system! Have you had any experience with that? Thanks again for your insight.

No problem for me, the SEF works fine in three frequency as will a 6X10 if it is V rated. Some of the non V rated 6X10's will run fine in 3 freq. as well.

Running fine is NO problem! It is the discrimination of small iron and bottle caps that I found to be a problem! ...so set in 7.5 and all is perfect!
Maybe the newer V rated coils do not have the problem. This coil is about 5 years old... works well...
How does one know if it is V-rated? Is there a mark on the coil ears or ??? ...thanxs

Yep, the V rated coils start with V. The secret to ID'ing iron in 3 frequency is to look at the dominate frequency when pinpointing. Your cents on up will be 2.5 dominate and iron is usually 22.5 dominate. IH cents usually will be 7.5 dominate. You should be able to see the difference on the SpectraGraph as well but I just pinpoint and the big bars tells the story without looking too hard.