Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

WAHT COILS DO YOU LIKE ON THE E-TRAC and WHY??

doberman

Benn using an E-Trac for several years and pretty much have stock with the stock coils. Been thinking about getting/using some other coils - I coin shoot - relic hunt and beach hunting occasionally, what would you recommend and why??

Thanks much - Dan

The stock is hard to beat. I use a Excell EQ2 6" for the trashy areas. SEF 15" for shear coverage on the beach.

Large areas with small trash density (like beaches) are perfect for big coils. The bigger, the better.

Areas like most parks that have a LOT of trash can be good for smaller coils.

Watch out though, not all coils are the same. The E-Trac comes with a DD coil, and the accessory coils from Minelab are also DD. If you switch from a DD to a concentric coil (like KC's Excelerator) you are changing a large dynamic of the hunt. Do a search for coil comparisons, because I'm not in the mood to type out the ways they are different and better or worse for certain situations.

I have the following coils for my ETRAC: WOT, stock, X-5, SEF 8x6, SEF 15X12, ML 8, and the Joey. In extememly high trash areas, such as a scraped lot, I will use the X-5, SEF 8x6, or the Joey. In sparse target conditions, it is the stock, the SEF 15X12 or the WOT. for the depth. In normal conditions, I will use the stock, or the SEF 15X12.
There are times however, when I use the Joey coil. That footprint is large (11 inches long), by not so wide (5 inches width). I get excellent separation with that coil under a lot of differing conditions.

It has been around my arsenal for many years, starting with my EX II. I still use it at times. With TTF, it can be a killer of a coil. Here is something I would suggest for anyone......
Put aside a bit of money, and then, every 3 or 4 months, buy a coil and stem for your detector. I have a lower stem for each of my coils, and OMG, does it EVER save time of changeover PLUS, if I happen to BREAK a lower stem, I am not stuck in the field 100 miles from home without a coil/stem combination. If you have ever had that happen, you understand the wisdom of having a second stem.

As far as size, I would suggest that as a second coil, go for the X-5. or the 4X7. Those small footprints will excel in high trash. Then, go Large, say te 15x12 or WO. Finally, don't pass a joey by if you see one. I would put it up there above my SEF 8x6, or any other 6 or 8 inch coil in terms of performance.

But I would start with something really small, because in high trash conditions, which other detectorists will have given up, you will find a producer of coins in the smallest coils.

HH

Dennis

I agree that the Joey is an excellent coil. I primarily hunt for old coins at old sites. Most of my hunting this time of year is in fields that have been in corn or beans. As such, the open spoked coils just don't let me maintain a rhythm through the stubble. The "solid bottom" Joey coil is one of my favorite E-TRAC coils for these situations. It has excellent depth, is very sensitive to small targets and "glides" in between the rows of stubble without getting snagged up. In trashy parks, my preference is the 6-inch EQ2 coil. Having a smaller footprint than most other coils available, I find the separation unbeatable. And even at that smaller diameter, it hunts surprisingly deep. I also agree with the comment of having extra rods for each coil. In fact, I have both the lower and upper rods on each of mine. With many of the aftermarket coils, the cable seems to be a little larger diameter and is not "wound" as tight. As such, it takes a few extra minutes to fish those cables up the rods when you want to change coils. With the extra upper and lower rods, I can swap out coils in a matter of seconds. JMHO HH Randy