Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Warranty...and after it expires

TerraDigger

2 yrs is not that long. Unless your calculating in dog years. So what are the cost of out of warranty repairs going to be on the Deus in the U.S. Not saying this will be the case, but I sold and set up service calls for alot of european mfg'd equipment. It was considerably more costly component wise than domestic mfg's.
Who is doing the service in the U.S.A? What level of expertise and equipment for repair does the U.S. facility have? What component stockpiles do they have on hand? Will units have to go France for repair in certain instances. What is turnaround time for repairs? Is the warranty transferrable?
White's has a set cap on repair costs, no matter amount of work done. First Texas gives a 5 yr non-transferrable warranty. A certain well known mfg (I will not name) has a reputation for very expensive repair costs. I am simply using White's & First Texas and the un-named mfg as examples, not as a endorsements or criticism.
Warranty and out of warranty service/costs is crucial in my book when making a significant purchase.

Terra-----You're right, 2 yrs. is not very long and I agree with you, warranty is crucial (especially on something this expensive).-----Several good questions you have there & I can answer ONE of them. :)-----The Deus warranty is not transferable (sorry to be the bearer of bad news).----------Del

XP Metal Detectors offers a 2-year warranty on their products and that was their decision in terms of the length of time that they cover their products. That period is not unusual and in fact is the same as what Garrett and White's offer on their products. Minelab offers three years and their top-end units cost nearly 2.5x the price of the Deus.

Based on the reliability of the unit since it was first introduced (remember - it has a lot of hours in the field worldwide already), it is unlikely that here will be wholesale issues that will require repairs here in the States.

All repairs will be done on US purchased units in the S (Massachusetts) with short turn-around. Many dealers will in fact handle issues via swap-out further reducing time you will be without one.

The warranty is NOT transferable as Del mentioned but then again, very few companies offer one that is.

I will get some information on possible out-of-warranty repair costs and provide that information here on the forum to address your question on the possible costs.

As far as length of warranty being a factor in your buying decision, one would have to ask how you feel about the other companies that also offer a 2-year warranty? Looking at how reliable it has been since introduction is a better indication of how it will stand up in the field that the warranty that comes with it. Service will be handled here in the US and the expertise was a requirement by XP prior to kicking off the introduction.

Hope this answers some of your questions and I will get details on repair costs that are done outside of warranty.

Andy

Thank you Andy. Wasn't trying to be a stick in the mud. These were just things that came up with customers when I was selling/servicing european/domestic equipment. And yes, 2 yrs is somewhat of a industry standard for warranty. Although personally, I think too short considering the amount of stress detectors can be put through.

Not a problem . . . . and the warranty / repair costs is a factor to consider. The unit has been tested for the past few years overseas and has held up pretty well . . . very few repairs have been needed. The service will be done in the US which is a plus.

I will see what I can find as to the non-warranty repair costs for those that are looking down the road and provide that information here once I obtain it . . . .

Andy

thanks andy! it's a very real concern going forward.
as nothing electronic is cheap to repair these days!
just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.

Talking with the service center, they do not plan on making any repairs a profit center . . . . . . they do not see the units as requiring service in the first place and would much rather have customers finding things that waiting for repairs to be performed. They did not have a specific price for repairs in the future once the warranty runs out but I do not see them gouging people both based on the discussion with them as well as what reputation XP Metal Detectors has built overseas in terms of reliability initially and then taking care of customers down the road . . . . .

Passing along what I was able to gather for forum readers

Andy

getting a handle on repair costs out of warranty could be HUGE
going forward,if after 2 years,ya have to "dump" and it is quite possible
that it "could" prove to be a 'tough" sell later on,IF it proves to NOT merit the
higher purchase price!. somethin' to look at! would be wise to take it under consideration
just sayin'

(h.h.!)
j.t.