Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Warrenty Cards, Buyer Beware!

Clad2Hunt

So I'm seeing Tesoro units put up for sell on Find's for sale forum and others that are used but seller claims that they have not sent in the warranty card. First let me say how wrong I feel that is. In speaking to my brother who is an attorney the seller is misrepresenting it and it is FRAUD. Doesn't matter if you send the card in or not. You are the original owner not the guy who is buying it. If you hold the card to give to the next buyer it is your intent to defraud Tesoro and other MFG. that require this to be done. Most require it to be sent in a short time after purchase or its invalid. While I'm sure it isn't something that would be economical feasible to pursue this in a court the person that buys this can be subject to have pay for their MD repair that they were told by seller that would not happen because they sent in the card. Wondering if when a MD is sold the dealer sends in a serial number of the unit when sold. If you want to support the Mfg. of the products be straight up and not cheat them out of service money needed to stay in business. Buyer Beware.

Just looked at my customer portion of the warranty card from my Compadre. It states: "original consumer purchaser" and "valid only if the warranty registration card has been completed and mailed in within 10 days of purchase".

Minelab is the same. I know they have it in there info so if you call as I had to a while back they knew when it was purchased.

If you advertise a metal detector for sale with un-filled out warranty card in the classifieds on another popular metal detecting forum, You Will get the boot:pinnochio

If someone doesn't send in the warranty card in the correct time frame, and this invalidates the warranty, then the seller (on the forum or on ebay or wherever) is (perhaps unknowingly) informing the buyer that the machine is NOT covered by warranty. It is up to the purchaser to negotiate with the manufacturer what the deal might be if the detector is in need of repair or adjustment. From what I've read on the forums, some manufacturers can be, at times, very forgiving, sometimes not. In any second-hand purchase it is up to the purchaser to make sure (as much as possible) that what they are getting is in suitable condition and is suitable for the purpose required. This is not the original manufacturer's responsibility.

The way it used to work is the warranty card was a 2 piece card. The first portion, upper postcard the dealer fills out and sends to the detector manufacturer for their files. Then its up to the customer to fill the lower portion out and keep for their own records along with the sales receipt.

Now days, manufacturers don't want paper records to store, they just print the warranty info in the owners manual. But, you need a copy of the sales receipt to prove purchaser and purchase date if you need service.

I think those products that are not built like a tank to last and are prone to break down have stricter warranty policy.

Those that don't break down, reliable, and take a good amount of abuse, the manufacturers see less of those coming back for repairs have a much friendlier warranty policy and do service work free as a
good will gesture. But, when people abuse this, send in the detector for problems that were just a bad battery...........this friendlier policy will eventually change. Since its a lot of nonsense work that takes mucho time
away from money producing work.

Yea, Do beware when private seller says lifetime warranty. Last two Tesoro's I sent in for repair under warranty I had to send a copy of sales receipt and I also sent the warranty cards in time frame requested by Tesoro. Not complaining, just telling that second owner warranty don't fly no more. I sent a used unit in just for a check-up about the time Tesoro started charging. Heck, for 50 bucks and shipping it back I consider that a deal. I wish the best for Tesoro top notch in my book.

Furious T, If a seller states in his post that a unfilled warranty card is included it could be interpreted that he is implying that the seller can send it in. Why else mention it. There are lots of new folks to the hobby that are unaware of the warranty policies. So they believe that there is warranty left. I know this as I was asked by a new club member. If there is no warranty then why mention the card? I have seen this many times in the past and it was just to boost the resale price.

First off it's my Tesoro. I will pull the ad or edit if someone can tell me how to do so. It will be sold without the warranty card, which I will promptly trash.

My mistake. No misrepresentation was meant. Corrections will be made.

Thank you to the one that gave me a PM and the heads up on this.

Clad2Hunt, I agree with you....I suspect (strongly) that the sellers in the cases you saw were trying to add an extra incentive for the sale...as you say in your heading, "Buyer Beware"...it is sad that we have come to the situation in matters relating to business transactions that we have come to the point where, for our own protection, we need to be suspicious about almost everything. I guess the point I was making was that, if we keep a cool head, and not be caught up in the hype, then we can analyse the information given (eg. "existing warranty") and check out this information before we buy. I think, in this day and age, we can no longer take the attitude (when it comes to buying any goods, new or second hand) that everything is ok, and no-one would try to rip us off.

I can't edit or pull the add so, I have stated below the post in another post that the warranty card is not included. Price has been reduced.

Does anyone know how to edit or delete the ad?

Edit- I have clicked on and reported my ad to the moderators and asked them to pull it.

Rainyday unless you have already changed your for sale ad, it didn't seem intentionally misleading to me. It looks like someone jump to the wrong conclusion though.

tabman

Thanks Tabman, but I am sorry if I seemed misrepresenting in any way. I could not change the add so I clicked on Report and reported it to the moderators. In the add I had said the unfilled warranty card came with the detector. That was a bad mistake on my part.

It appears moderators deleted that from the ad and I appreciate that and apologize.

i read original paperwork except operators manual. nothing wrong with that. good deal for 400 including shipping. wish i could get it, my woman would have a fit though. just bought a new snowblower that we needed. so, thats my new toy for a bit. good luck, sure it will go quickly. maybe put it on a few of the tesoro facebook pages as well. "tesoro metal detectors" and "all about tesoro metal detectors" are good.ones.

There are a lot of products on the market that have no 'warranty' other than something like a 30-day or 90-day cash back or replacement. That means their product malfunctioned or broke down within the period and was thus used.

You can buy a metal detector brand new, from a Dealer, send in the card and register it. It's maybe good for 2 years. Then, 3 years after you bought it, you sold or traded it to someone and it has a problem and needs service. Let's say it's a White's that is not just out-of-warranty but even discontinued. If you live half-way around the country you can send it in for repair and there is a charge, often times quite reasonable. If you carry the detector in the door at White's in Sweet Home, Oregon and ask for it to be serviced, it will usually be done while you wait, and at no charge.

So manufacturers can look at warranty and service from different perspectives. Then there's the big question of who is the detector Buyer or who is the detector Owner, and to whom should the warranty service be provided and for how long a period starting when? Is the warranty for the Buyer or for the Consumer/User of a product? Let's take these for example:

I have six children and perhaps my #2 son, knowing I love metal detecting, decided to buy me a brand new metal detector, let's say a Cibola, from his local dealer thinking it would make his Dad a nice Christmas present. Let's also consider my oldest daughter stumbled upon a Dealer in Utah who had several older Tesoro models, discontinued, but brand new in-the-box on his merchandise rack, so she buys me a brand new Bandido II µMAX for my birthday last May. Problem is she didn't have my address and didn't get it sent off to get to me before I got older.

Hurting for money she mentioned it to my #3 son that she bought me something but didn't send it off in time in May, and now she needs some cash for a car repair and might sell it. Well #3 son figured he'd help her out and he buys it from her, still brand new in the box, and he'd send it to me for Father's Day in June. He's curious if it is anything like the Bandido his older brother had a few years back so he takes it out and puts it together to check it out. The Bandido his brother had was bigger as it was an original model and had a white 8" coil instead of a brown coil.

Hummm, maybe it is better than the old one? I wonder if it works like the one my brother had? With those questions rattling through his head he does some 'air testing' and plays with it a little at his home. Kind of wonders if it is a hobby he should have taken up, so he goes out in his grassy yard and checks it out some more for two or three days. No harm-no foul and it was not banged into anything but grass tops, it's not dirty or dinged, It's even been used less than many Detector Dealer's 'display' or 'demo' models, which could be sold, even used, and have the full factory warranty.

He figured it's not the hobby for him, so he wiped it down and put everything back in the box. The problem was he had thought about maybe keeping it and now it's too late to get to me before father's day. Well, that's no problem, he just set it in the closet and will send it to me for Christmas. So in 19 days I open a Christmas present and have a brand new Tesoro Bandido II µMAX, warranty card and all, and a brand new Tesoro Cibola as gifts to me. Now what do I do?

My son bought the Cibola so as the Buyer, is he the Owner and should have registered it, or am I the Owner since I received it as a gift, now the Owner who gets the warranty card registered?

What about the Bandido II µMAX, also new-in-the-box from a Dealer's left-over inventory? My Daughter bought it so should she have registered it as the Buyer? My other son bought it from her to help her out, still brand new, and he wondered how it worked compared with an older Tesoro so he put it together to check it out. It has less wear-and-tear than most display/demo models that Dealers can still sell. Since he assembled it, even though not the original Buyer, should he fill out a warranty card?

Now here I am, Christmas Day and I have two brand new metal detectors with blank warranty cards. They were Gifts and I am the new Owner, so do I send it the warranty cards?

No. My son didn't know it but I don't care for the Cibola and prefer models with manual Ground Balance. I let him know in a phone call that I really appreciate it, but it's kind of like a new sweater or pair of pants that are the wrong size [size=small](or ugly)[/size] and I am going to sell it and buy a new Outlaw with manual Ground Balance.

Then in a call I tell my other son that I also appreciate how he helped his sister out, and wish he would have found the hobby more interesting to join in the fun, and I really like the Bandido II µMAX. However, I already own and use a Bandido II µMAX and don't need a duplicate model, so I might sell it and buy an Outlaw or other model.

I can now offer these two brand new detectors for sale, and even though they sold to a BUYER or were given as a GIFT, there still isn't an end CONSUMER because I don't want or need them and neither did the kids. I am going to offer them for sale with a blank warranty card so the end CONSUMER can take care of that, and I don't see a problem with that reasoning. This could apply to acquiring and selling many products, especially if you got it as a gift.

Metal Detector warranties are an interesting topic because they often won't repair [size=small](for free)[/size] any detector that has been abused, broken, or modified in such a way as to impair the manufacturer's original circuitry. For the most part, manufacture's warranties are there to cover defects in parts and workmanship in manufacturing. Those are things that can go wrong over a period of time in the electronics business. I know I would not offer a Lifetime Warranty, but I think a reasonable length warranty should be offered. I also don't think it should depend upon who paid for it or who uses it, defects in materials and workmanship, etc., ought to be covered ... period.

If the manufacturer feels they only want to cover their product for 2 years, okay. If they want to go 5 years, that's fine. I also don't think it should matter if it is bought, sold or traded, the owner/user of the detector should have coverage. Does it need a 'transferrable' warranty filled out? No, I don't think so. If I owned a detector manufacturing business I would offer a 5 year limited warranty on each detector, regardless of who owns it or how many times it had been sold or traded. And there would be no paperwork required from anyone, no warranty cards, sales receipts, nothing.

How would it be covered for 5 years? Simple. Every detector that comes off the line would be stamped or permanently marked with a "date of manufacture" [size=small](month and year)[/size] and the 5 year warranty would cover materials and workmanship for 5 years from that date. Very Simple.

Then if somebody wants to sell a used detector they can describe its condition, mention if there is an Owner's Manual or not, and just state the Date of Manufacture [size=small](only use the Month and Year)[/size] and the new owner will know how much repair/service time is remaining and there's is nothing to register or transfer. If a unit needs repair you call to get a repair order number, and send it in with a note of what needs fixing, and point out the Date [size=small](Month)[/size] and Year of manufacture.

Just my thoughts on warranties, and I don't have an issue if someone says the warranty card is in the box. If I make a good deal on a model I want, who cares about the warranty card unless they feel the product might be defective. With a quality major brand there often isn't a problem and we buy used units w/o a card all the time. If I bought a detector that had a blank warranty card, all I would have to do is call the manufacturer and explain what I bought, the condition, and that I have blank card then ask if I can complete it and send it in. That way it is between me and the detector manufacturer and not between me and some forum moderator who wants to ban anyone from mentioning a blank warranty card.

Monte

Had a friend bought a detector. Seller says it was a gift, never did anything with it, plus blank warranty card included, blah blah bah.
Turned out it was registered - so maybe it was registered on line or by dealer from buyer, I dunno, but seller didn't mentioned that.

I think that not having a transferable warranty for at least a couple of years gives the impression a company does not have that much faith in the build quality of their product . Nice going on the manually induced retro spell check also .