Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Was reading an article on your site... Link doesn't work anymore...

Guvner

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.gpsnuts.com/Ozi/OziMCJohnG/vector.html

Do you know where it is now? Is it still out there?

Thanks... Guvner..

Thanks for the note. I'll have to ask Ron to go through the links and update.

I'm surprised that www.gisdatadepot.com link isn't working - maybe a temporary server glitch.

BAD news for you - OziMC is now a "hidden possibility" because it DOES NOT work for current versions of MapCreate and the older maps can not be loaded to newer Lowrance receivers.
Still, in Ozi and TTQV (not sure about Fugawi) you can save the tracks / waypoints / routes into USR file that can be loaded (I think) to your receiver.

There's a walleye pro by the name of Doc who has a website offering training and Fugawi is mentioned... Not sure what it all means yet. I haven't ever paid this much attention to GPS before but it seems to have my attention now... :)

Let me know if there's anything you notice out there. There has to be a way to get all these paper contour maps into that Lowrance as there seems to be a standard or you couldn't put it in one of 3 brands.

All the best... Guvner..

Bad news because you can NOT put these paper maps into newer Lowrance.
OziMC works with the Older MapCreate only.
OziExplorer makes USR files but these files contain waypoints, tracks and routes NOT maps.

And I'll bet on the computer guys figuring them out... :D: It really made me mad when I called one of the map supply places. They wanted $199 for SD card with Missouri lakes on it. They give you a one year warranty on the card. After that if the data fails being the registered owner means nothing. Retail again. Screw that. Even Microsoft allows backup or replacement at a reasonable cost of anything you purchase and register. Last time I looked data on any type of media wasn't a very reliable thing and especially after a year.

Am I missing something??

Guvner..

Well, one of the basic problems map makers are facing is data licensing.
Let's face it; gathering and converting the source data is tremendously expensive, work and time consuming. For that reason, the sources are very protective of their products. They typically license the data out with restrictions on copying and editing. In most case it is possible to license the source data with the right to edit but that right can not be passed on. Such licences are more expensive. Even more expensive are the licenses which include the right of the end user to acess and / or edit the data. You have to consider that; if the data could be easily accessed and edited, a "map maker" could get the data from their competitor product and only add few features and totally skip the actual data gathering. Their cost would be minimal so they could sell the product cheaply and now, who would want to buy the product from the original data provider? Who would cover the cost of gathering data?
It's kind of like: why don't you guys openly post co-ordinates of the treasure rich places, old forts, forgotten estates and such?

I would have nothing against buying what I want for $199 and then paying a yearly license to update or replace a damaged SD card. What they're doing by not offering this is criminal to me and they deserve whatever they get. If on the other hand they are always working on improving and adding maps and information they'd find that people like me would be signing on and not wasting any time worrying about getting anything off the black market. I charge $70 per hour on my AC business and I'd eat up a lot more time finding a way around their deal.

It would be a very win win situation for the end user and the manufacturer as well as promote product loyalty.

I'd love to know that on my next update either a favorite lake had been improved from 10 foot contour lines to 1 foot lines or another lake was added. It would piss me off if after I bought it the lastest one comes out a month later with a lot more. Plus the part where it goes out of warranty and crashes.

Any thoughts?

Guvner..

They want you to pay $125 to upgrade by trading in your old card. In a way it's fair. In another way it's stupid. It's fair only if they're not doing much and you don't have to upgrade it very often. It's unfair since the price is quite rediculous if you need to upgrade it all the time over rapid improvements.

Guvner..

Well, charts are another story. They have to "expire them" because nav aids get changed, waterways get overgrown / added / changed / silted / dreaged the whole thing changes more than land even that it doesn't always appear that way. Just look at all the notices to mariners constantly issued and all these have to be reflected in the charts! Also, they have to charge you a lot because they have to pay a lot to their lawyers and insurance - misplacing a single buoy on a chart may cost them dearly. So, few shortcuts are taken there. Maintaining the existing database is one hell lot of work. Never mind adding new water-bodies!
Now, just for the record - the fact that I "understand why" does not mean that I like it any more than you do!

n/t

Fugawi can only use maps you scan in or buy. It can't create maps, thats where you need some thing like 3DField which will take a Lowrance SLG file and do it for you. Bruce Samson has covered that pretty well in his video's and might be adding a seperate advanced class that that includes that. The main part is, no you can take a map in Fugawi and put it in the Lowrance. But you can cheat. If you make a map in 3DField and import it into Fugawi or trace contours of a map you can export them as a track file into Lowrance. Its best if your going to have a lot of them to group them together as Lowrance has a limit on how many it can store. This might not be true on the new units with the harddrives, but I think on the regular ones it some thing like 100 files. Some one can up date this if they know different.
For contours over the maps of Devils Lake for Bruce I used the track method.

Is he telling me that 3D reads my sonar record and creates the maps or maybe what exactly is he telling me. Thanks Andrew...

Gary

I think that what he's telling you is pretty much what I told you - you can use tracks to display your data on Lowrance. Lowrance can display 100 track files of 10000 points each so you can display a fair amount of data in linear form.
As for, what 3DField can do, I don't know what it can really do,it's the very first time I hear about this software. The quote states that it can do a Lowrance map(?) but I'd have to see it to believe it.
Edited after I found the 3D Filed it on the net.

Oh well, just another vector mapping software. It still can NOT export maps into format that could be used by Lowrance GPS / Sonar.

Andrew

I did buy the Navionic SD card. I also wrote them of my dissatisfaction with their policy. Haven't heard a word.

Guvner..

Navionics usually take a week to reply - you are not the only one unhappy about their update policies '-) Still, their charts are darn good!