Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Was so upset with my Makro Racer yesterday :rant: coil broke

the stock black ones are 'brittle' and break with stress....

I bought some white 'nylon' ones from the hardware store that you can bend and flex....they work great
and should never break...

SavingThePast said:
Everything has been fixed for quite awhile. The only issue is some of the older stuff is still out there. I went through the same issues but they made it right and all the new stuff is good to go!

So...If a person was to order one, how do we make sure we are getting the new stuff??

xwyokid said:
SavingThePast said:
Everything has been fixed for quite awhile. The only issue is some of the older stuff is still out there. I went through the same issues but they made it right and all the new stuff is good to go!

So...If a person was to order one, how do we make sure we are getting the new stuff??

the bolts-simple since they are cmpletely different
5" coil- never a problem that i am aware of
15" coil-same as above
11" coil-the new ones which come with all the r2 are made with a different process and the shell is more textured than the original so its easy to tell. There is no issue whatsoever if thats what toure getting. on the original racer 11" mine that broke the ears-the circular hump where the cord goes in was smooth around the side and the new one i received that area had like spuder legs coming off the side of the raised area. That doesnt mean the ones without that are bad though. it was just a certain # of coils got out before they caught it. best way, maybe contact makro with serial # on coil.
10" coil-i believe there were only like 35 that were in the bad batch so once again it is hard to tell without contacting makro with the serial #. I can tell you they have updated it also though as my earlier photo in this thread shows my new one. The ears now actually have a beefed up area in the center of each ear where the bolt goes through...

None of it really matters though because if you do have a problem I am sure makro will take care of it. Definately not something that would stop me from buying one because the performance to price ratio is great. I

I know exactly how you feel BS Makro needs too step up to the plate :veryangry:

They are a very good company that had a run of bad luck with some plastic. It happens to a lot of companies so not just them.
They mailed out my new coil today with coil cover and new hardware.
They make very good products despite the small issues and I will continue to buy Makro / Nokta products as long as they take care of me and make awesome detectors.
I tend to pick up my Racer more than my Deus depending on what im hunting. I will look for a different bolt for sure.
My want list is a Racer 2, Nokta Relic or Impact when it comes out.

My issue was similar to to yours with the bolt and the coil ears and also not being able to turn my gain up past 39. I sent a video via email yesterday, they got back to me today and are sending a newer coil asap. They are unbelievably quick and very professional. I can't be happier with there service. Good job Makro/Nokta

Haven't had the problem but it does seem to be a brittle plastic. I have several backups and some nylon ones from Home Depot. I baby my machines though. They ride in the backseat of the truck and they are secured so not to roll over.

I was told there would be a coil cover in shipment but it was not in there :( and only one hardware set when I broke 3 sets 1 old style and 2 new style. I sure hope this ends my problems cause I love my racer.

Ok you have convinced me I am not going to buy one this year.Will wait until they learn to package them right without scratching screen and coil bolt and plastic problem is solved.Thank you for your impute everyone.

Prep1957 said:
Ok you have convinced me I am not going to buy one this year.Will wait until they learn to package them right without scratching screen and coil bolt and plastic problem is solved.Thank you for your impute everyone.
The initial post didn't reveal if the detector was purchased new or used, and that could have a bearing on the issues bayourebel2 had initially posted.

He has the Makro Racer which has been on the market for over a year.

There were early reports of the hollow bolt breaking, and also the mounting ears on both the 5½X10 DD and stock 7X11 DD coils.

It was seen frequently in early discussions on Marko Forums, and the good folks at Makro Detectors wasted no time taking care of the fix. They replaced the hollow bolts with the solid lever-design bolts used on the Nokta FORS series models, in all the newer racer's I have seen friends get.

They improved the ear structure on the standard 7X11 DD coils they were using, and have now gone to a newly designed 7X11 DD that is similar to the FORS series 7X11 housing and sturdy design for the Racer 2. The coils and bolts all interchange between the original Racer and the Racer 2, and I am not sure if they will, or already have, switched the original Racer to the newer 7X11 coil.

All of the Racer series models work quite well, and this whole forum discussion is really something that could have been, or should have been, taken care of directly with the Dealer or Makro Distributor rather than used as a forum post. It was a well known issue that surfaced over a year ago and was already handled. This was also mentioned in this thread and I would suggest that your decision to hold off buying a brand new Makro Racer, or Racer 2 or Gold Racer, is really not called for. All of these models are well built, and the company is a stand-out manufacturer who is quick to take care of customers with any of these issues.

Get your hands on a Makro Racer series model and check it out first, then make a buy/no-buy decision. I think you will discover that these are some of the best detectors on the market today.

Monte

Monte said:
Prep1957 said:
The initial post didn't reveal if the detector was purchased new or used, and that could have a bearing on the issues bayourebel2 had initially posted.

He has the Makro Racer which has been on the market for over a year.

There were early reports of the hollow bolt breaking, and also the mounting ears on both the 5½X10 DD and stock 7X11 DD coils.

It was seen frequently in early discussions on Marko Forums, and the good folks at Makro Detectors wasted no time taking care of the fix. They replaced the hollow bolts with the solid lever-design bolts used on the Nokta FORS series models, in all the newer racer's I have seen friends get.

They improved the ear structure on the standard 7X11 DD coils they were using, and have now gone to a newly designed 7X11 DD that is similar to the FORS series 7X11 housing and sturdy design for the Racer 2. The coils and bolts all interchange between the original Racer and the Racer 2, and I am not sure if they will, or already have, switched the original Racer to the newer 7X11 coil.

All of the Racer series models work quite well, and this whole forum discussion is really something that could have been, or should have been, taken care of directly with the Dealer or Makro Distributor rather than used as a forum post. It was a well known issue that surfaced over a year ago and was already handled. This was also mentioned in this thread and I would suggest that your decision to hold off buying a brand new Makro Racer, or Racer 2 or Gold Racer, is really not called for. All of these models are well built, and the company is a stand-out manufacturer who is quick to take care of customers with any of these issues.

Get your hands on a Makro Racer series model and check it out first, then make a buy/no-buy decision. I think you will discover that these are some of the best detectors on the market today.

Monte

I agree with Monte don't let minor issues keep you from buying a Makro or Nokta they are great detectors and they really take care of any problems.
My Racer was New but it was early made and had the bad coil overload. They sent new coil asap and no issues with stock coil now.
The 5.5 x 10 was New as well but early made and had thin ears. It broke they sent new one asap and works great.
The coil bolts are my only gripe because I have broke 2 new style and one old style so I do not have faith in the bolts.
They only sent me one set so im still bummed about that.

Will I continue to buy there products ? Yes I will and hope you all do too.

This original post was not posted to bad mouth the company or detectors or change anyone's mind in buying one. Just simply a rant that I was upset that I could not use my favorite detector.
Chris

good explanation for your initial post. Yes, the early Racer's did have a few bugs that even took the manufacturer by surprise, but as most everyone who is alert to this industry, you won't find a better, more interested, and fast to serve the consumer manufacturer than the folks at Makro Detectors and Nokta Detectors. The coil ear breakage was taken care of, and the only thing you mentioned that is annoying was the breakage of the shorter, hollow coil bolt.

As I stated before, mine broke also, but I had the ability to swap them with some spare Nokta FORS level-type bolts. They are not hollow and I haven't had any issues with those bolts. My Racer 2 came with the Nokta series bolts and, I would guess, most Racer 2's are supplied with them. I know those my hunting buddies received also had the lever-type bolts, I saw where Des offered to send you one of those bolt and nut sets, but you had already received a replacement. I would suggest, to anyone with a Racer or FORs series model, you acquire a few spare lever-type bolt and nut sets to have on-hand for back-up in case they are needed.

Again, best of success with your original Racer. [size=small](I don't use Red or Black, or 1 to designate a differences, they are simple a Racer and Racer 2, plus the Gold Racer in the Three Racer Series of models.)[/size] I know that I have heard from a few who read the posts on my Relic/Old Site Forum about our Welcome-to-Hunt Outing we held last week, wanting to confirm that Eric C. was using an original Racer to make all his finds. Yes, he did, and the Racer is no slouch. The Racer 2 just has a few more features and TID refinements, just like the Nokta FORS Relic has a few adjustment benefits over the FORS CoRe, but any of these models bare terrific performers.

I look forward to your posts about your experiences afield as well. Hopefully they will be some interesting old stuff like we are seeing posted on AHRPS, and since you're in Texas you ought to have some older activity sites to check out. Matter of fact, we have more folks registered from Texas on the ORG site that we do from any other state. California, at last check, came in #2.

Monte