Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Was so upset with my Makro Racer yesterday :rant: coil broke

bayourebel2

I get all the way to the hunt site and pull out my Racer only to see a 5.5 x 10 coil flopping around. My ears on the coil broke in half and also the bolt snapped in half. This is the second bolt to break in half on me and the coil bolts are even the newer designed ones. I need to find who to contact about this here in the US as I missed my racer yesterday but luckily I had my deus with me.

Yeah, That DEUS will never let you down. So many War stories on these
new machines and their coils. Sure there's a bad machine in the bunch
now and then but it seems with these coils and bolts it's a common flaw.
Sure they replace them fast enough but how about getting it right the 1rst time
instead of continuiosly replacing coils and bolts let alone the DOWN TIME
you lose for the cost of these units. Would love to try a Racer 2 but
not interested in inheriting what seems to be a slight on going problem.
I'm sure the unit itself is Excellent but they failed on the lower end parts.
(headphones,coils bolts etc.etc.) Then they want a Video of the problem
If it's bad, it's bad, that's what the WARRANTY is for. Probably a faster
way to get your faulty parts replaced but more time consuming on a faulty unit.
No Thanks and I'll keep my DEUS!!! JMHO of these new units...
silverseeker 2

I can remember breaking several coil bolts back when using fisher cz's, tesoro tejon's etc.....its can happen with just about any brand.I always cary a couple extras in the field with me HH. joe

There are definitely some issues with the coil bolts. I was glad that there were several in the box when I bought my Red Racer.....

Racer%20Coil%20Bolt_zpstopyjbrf.jpg

In an emergency you can use one of the Racer's Arm Cuff Bolts. It's not the cure for the issue but it will keep you going in the field. Doesn't help with the broken coil though. Dah!

The problem is I have broke all of my bolts except the one on my stock coil and shaft so I cant break this one or im in trouble. I just hope they made some stronger bolts on the Racer 2.

The problem is I have broke all of my bolts except the one on my stock coil and shaft so I cant break this one or im in trouble. I just hope they made some stronger bolts on the Racer 2.

Everything has been fixed for quite awhile. The only issue is some of the older stuff is still out there. I went through the same issues but they made it right and all the new stuff is good to go!

The deus is a great machine! I had one and really liked it but the early ones had problems also.
They used to use a magnet to hold the control box on(which was a horrible idea in my opinion)and there were complaints about it the charging clips used to break also. They took care of it though because they are a good company... do a google search for deus control box falling off.

its really no different than makro, garrett, fisher, minelab...they all seem to have issues with new machines at some point...

silverseeker 2 said:
Yeah, That DEUS will never let you down. So many War stories on these
new machines and their coils. Sure there's a bad machine in the bunch
now and then but it seems with these coils and bolts it's a common flaw.
Sure they replace them fast enough but how about getting it right the 1rst time
instead of continuiosly replacing coils and bolts let alone the DOWN TIME
you lose for the cost of these units. Would love to try a Racer 2 but
not interested in inheriting what seems to be a slight on going problem.
I'm sure the unit itself is Excellent but they failed on the lower end parts.
(headphones,coils bolts etc.etc.) Then they want a Video of the problem
If it's bad, it's bad, that's what the WARRANTY is for. Probably a faster
way to get your faulty parts replaced but more time consuming on a faulty unit.
No Thanks and I'll keep my DEUS!!! JMHO of these new units...
silverseeker 2

I know that all machines have issues from time to time. When I first got my Deus the coil was bad would not hold charge and they replaced it.
This is my 3rd bolt on my racer to break. First was old design bolt and others were new style with arm.
My stock racer coil had overload issues and was replaced and they sent it out same day without me having to return original coil.
This time I had to send in coil at my expense of $ 10.25 shipping and will have to wait till they receive mine and then send out.
I personally am not happy with that but what do you do. The Racer is a fine machine and hopefully I wont have any more problems like this.
It would be nice if they would pay shipping both ways or give you a free hat or something.
Im still wearing my AT Pro hat while swinging my Racer, its the only thing I kept when I traded it for this racer. Best decision I ever made to trade. H H

I understand your point also. I agree that paying the shipping stinks and shouldnt be the case. I hadnt seen any of the new style bolts broken and havent had an issue with any of mine but yours sure did...They have definately had their issues but I really like the racer and the r2 and with the 5" coil and the 10x5.5. Enough so, that it outweighed the issues for me.

bayourebel2 said:
I know that all machines have issues from time to time. When I first got my Deus the coil was bad would not hold charge and they replaced it.
This is my 3rd bolt on my racer to break. First was old design bolt and others were new style with arm.
My stock racer coil had overload issues and was replaced and they sent it out same day without me having to return original coil.
This time I had to send in coil at my expense of $ 10.25 shipping and will have to wait till they receive mine and then send out.
I personally am not happy with that but what do you do. The Racer is a fine machine and hopefully I wont have any more problems like this.
It would be nice if they would pay shipping both ways or give you a free hat or something.
Im still wearing my AT Pro hat while swinging my Racer, its the only thing I kept when I traded it for this racer. Best decision I ever made to trade. H H

Well, I still want a R2 but, the broken coil syndrome seems to rear it's ugly head way too often for me. I have been detecting on/off since 1972 and in all that time I have never broken coil ears. It would seem to me that they should recall the machines that were sold before(?) the problem was fixed. Oh well, I'm going to buy one anyhow but, will probably wait (if I can) until this problem isn't talked about anymore.

xwyokid said:
Well, I still want a R2 but, the broken coil syndrome seems to rear it's ugly head way too often for me. I have been detecting on/off since 1972 and in all that time I have never broken coil ears. It would seem to me that they should recall the machines that were sold before(?) the problem was fixed. Oh well, I'm going to buy one anyhow but, will probably wait (if I can) until this problem isn't talked about anymore.

As far as I know they have fixed the coil issue with new design so the Racer 2 will have new design coil. Dont let that keep you from buying a awesome detector. Things can happen with any brand too.

Is that bolt hollow? (can't tell from the picture)-----I thought the new ones was supposed to be solid bolts.

I sure hope my replacements are better. I will make sure to carry a spare just in case. I have broke 3 since I bought this Racer.

The new bolts will break also. I had one break on my brand new Racer 2. I went to True Value hardware and purchased some 1/4" nylon bolts and wing nuts. They are a little smaller in diameter than the Makro bolts, but they work fine. I replaced the bolts and nuts on all of my Makro coils, and I have not had any break since then.

I don't think the reason the bolts snap is any thing to do with "poor plastic" the reason they snap is that they are way too thin. Minelab and Whites bolts are much thicker to withstand the rough conditions and stresses
that the bolts are under. The other Big Names all use much thicker bolts.

I examined the bolt that broke on my racer, and you could see where there were large bubbles on the inside of the bolt. So it was a defect in the plastic, not the thickness of the bolt that was the problem.