Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Washing money

JimmyCT

No not that kind of washing money lol If you want to see a movie about "washing" money, watch Ozark with Jason Bateman.
Anyway, I decided to fire up my Chicago Electric Dual Drum Rotary rock tumbler this afternoon to wash my recent clad coin finds.
I threw the nickels in with the pennies with aquarium gravel, Dawn 4X dish detergent, tumbler half filled with water and ran for 3 hours. I realize I am not suppose to mix nickels in with pennies but I don't mind. As Long as they are clean enough to use...
The quarters and dimes I used stainless steel ball bearings, Dawn 4X dish detergent, tumbler half filled with water , and ran around for 3 hours. Look good enough for me to recycle back into society!

Attachments

• IMG_2797.jpg
    IMG_2797.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_2798.jpg
    IMG_2798.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 105
  • IMG_2799.jpg
    IMG_2799.jpg
    431.9 KB · Views: 108
No not that kind of washing money lol If you want to see a movie about "washing" money, watch Ozark with Jason Bateman.
Anyway, I decided to fire up my Chicago Electric Dual Drum Rotary rock tumbler this afternoon to wash my recent clad coin finds.
I threw the nickels in with the pennies with aquarium gravel, Dawn 4X dish detergent, tumbler half filled with water and ran for 3 hours. I realize I am not suppose to mix nickels in with pennies but I don't mind. As Long as they are clean enough to use...
The quarters and dimes I used stainless steel ball bearings, Dawn 4X dish detergent, tumbler half filled with water , and ran around for 3 hours. Look good enough for me to recycle back into society!
Get some Lemi-shine & use a empty 9mm case full, plus 3-4 drops of dawn dish soap. Then use your stainless pins/balls on the nickels, dimes, & quarters. In 3 hours or less, they will look new.

Get some Lemi-shine & use an empty 9mm case full, plus 3-4 drops of dawn dish soap. Then use your stainless pins/balls on the nickels, dimes, & quarters. In 3 hours or less, they will look new.
Thank you. I’ll give that a shot.

The tumbler I use is from National Geographic and it works really well. I picked it up at a Goodwill store for 5 bucks. Fish gravel and dish soap is all I've ever used. Might have to try ball bearings though. Nice pile of coins Jimmy!
Walnut hulls work quite well.

I used walnut shells on my wheats takes longer but they don't get scratch all the heck like gravel . sube
Thanks for the info 🙂

One thing about walnut hulls there hard as rock don't ad soap or water just dry hulls otherwise they get soft and don't clean as well . sube
Glad you told me 😂
And the coins come out nice and clean?

Ive now dedicated my clad finds to simple cleaning and then off to Coinstar. I usually get 98% to go thru and then opt for the Amazon voucher. The other 2% I clean better and just spend as needed.