Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Waterproof CTX Wireless Module

nolanation

Here is a good way to make the CTX wireless module completely waterproof, for those interested. Has an armband as well.

that looks like a great idea. can the headphone cord go inside so there no exposed cord ends.and the sphincter tighten up around the cord enough to keep it totally waterproof ? I have dropped mine out of my t-shirt pocket when water hunting up to my waist many times and luckily my headset cord saved it, but would be nice to have a little more insurance. can you give more info as far as brand and model. dfly

Mrmikejackie said:
Please explain in what circumstance this would be needed, I'm curious. Mike

I have been out detecting in heavy rain and I always use the remote module attached to the headband of my headphones and I have wondered exactly how water resistant it is and this would have stopped my bit of concern... I have also been detecting in streams where this would protect it in case it slips off my headphones or where ever else I have it affixed.

Yes, this is completely waterproof, so the beach would be a good start. Also, as GKMAN mentioned, heavy rain, streams, and lakes as well. The main point here is wireless audio in and around the water, to avoid being tethered to the machine. The WiFi stream does not work past an inch underwater, but if you strap it to the headband of your headphones or even your upper arm, you can easily have wireless audio in the water, and without worrying about crashing surf and such. It floats as well. The case itself is rated at IPX8, and is submersible to 15 feet. I left the module in the case sit underwater in the bathtub for 2 hours with 0 issues.

Oregon, the cord can not go in any further back into the case, but the cord opening is completely sealed and watertight. I will probably buy a pair of audio surge sportwrap earphones and semi permanently affix them to the cord of the case, although there are several pictures of people using waterproof headphones underwater with no seal where the headphones connect to cord of the case. The case is called Aquapac Ipod case.

nolanation said:
Yes, this is completely waterproof, so the beach would be a good start. Also, as GKMAN mentioned, heavy rain, streams, and lakes as well. The main point here is wireless audio in and around the water, to avoid being tethered to the machine. The WiFi stream does not work past an inch underwater, but if you strap it to the headband of your headphones or even your upper arm, you can easily have wireless audio in the water, and without worrying about crashing surf and such. It floats as well. The case itself is rated at IPX8, and is submersible to 15 feet. I left the module in the case sit underwater in the bathtub for 2 hours with 0 issues.

Oregon, the cord can not go in any further back into the case, but the cord opening is completely sealed and watertight. I will probably buy a pair of audio surge sportwrap earphones and semi permanently affix them to the cord of the case, although there are several pictures of people using waterproof headphones underwater with no seal where the headphones connect to cord of the case. The case is called Aquapac Ipod case.
I was under the impression when the wireless module is connected to the machine, the machine cannot be submerged. I can appreciate trying to keep the WM10 unit "rain proof", just don't want anyone getting any ideas and ruining their machine. If water hunting why not just get waterproof headphones?

I was under the impression when the wireless module is connected to the machine, the machine cannot be submerged. I can appreciate trying to keep the WM10 unit "rain proof", just don't want anyone getting any ideas and ruining their machine. If water hunting why not just get waterproof headphones?[/quote]

Well, it could be submerged. But it won't do you any good since the signal won't travel through water. Not all of us have waterproof headphones, or care to spend the money on them. I rarely water hunt compared to land hunting, but it's just not worth it for me to buy a pair to sit 98% of the time..

Mrmikejackie said:
nolanation said:

I was under the impression when the wireless module is connected to the machine, the machine cannot be submerged. I can appreciate trying to keep the WM10 unit "rain proof", just don't want anyone getting any ideas and ruining their machine. If water hunting why not just get waterproof headphones?

Well first, it won't ruin the machine if you submerge it while connected to the module, it will simply lose signal if submerged too far, and signal will come back when re-surfaced. I think I went over this pretty well and clear in my first post. It is about not being tethered to the machine, and still having audio through headphones in and around water. If you dive hunt or hunt regularly with water up to your neck, maybe this is not for you. But if you hunt in water up to your waist (depending on what part of the CTX the audio is being transmitted from), or simply do not want to have to worry about splashing waves and such, and enjoy non tethered audio, this will work well.

As GK said as well, not wanting to spend the $ on waterproof headphones for the CTX, this is an alternate idea.

I stand corrected and I apologize. I thought the headphone adapter was part of the wireless system. Therefore I agree wholeheartedly good idea. Cheap insurance in case of accidental drop or rain. Mike

Hi Thanks. I'll get one

The manual says that the 1/4" headphone module is not waterproof but your saying you have had in under water?

lawsonland said:
Hi Thanks. I'll get one

The manual says that the 1/4" headphone module is not waterproof but your saying you have had in under water?
It's not and that's where my confusion was. It needs to be removed and supplied plug inserted. The wireless part of the detector is internal and sends a signal to the WM10. The headphone adapter MUST be removed and plug screwed in. Albeit, as stated above, the signal will be lost once detector is submerged. Again I apologize for my ignorance. Mike

Maybe this will help..

What you should know before you take your CTX swimming...

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?87,1890903

ok, I thought the wireless is in that module on the CTX.
So I can take it off since I use the wireless. I'm glad the put the wireless inside the unit

I just ordered one of those pouches on ebay for $21. There was one left

Good rehash of information that has been covered at least twice before in the past two years. Good thing is companies keep coming up with new pouches for other items that work great for the WM-10 unit....it just takes someone to make the purchase to prove it works (thanks Nolan). Unlike GK man though, my waterproof pouch and WM-10 just sit in a box (next to my spare 3 waterproof headphones) waiting for the day I don't water/beach hunt....

Cliff

nagov said:
Good rehash of information that has been covered at least twice before in the past two years. Good thing is companies keep coming up with new pouches for other items that work great for the WM-10 unit....it just takes someone to make the purchase to prove it works (thanks Nolan). Unlike GK man though, my waterproof pouch and WM-10 just sit in a box (next to my spare 3 waterproof headphones) waiting for the day I don't water/beach hunt....

Cliff

I think 90% of topics on here are rehashes of rehashes of the same topics. There is simply not that much to discuss. I guess my question is what was the point of buying the waterproof case, if you are not going to use it near water or the beach? If you wait until you are not near water or the beach, did you just buy it for the minimal times you are hunting in heavy rain? Like I said, my main point is not being tethered to the machine. I enjoy the freedom, others do not mind being tethered, like yourself. I do not hunt past my waist often, but if I did, I would have a pair of grey ghosts handy as well. Those are bulky heavy and hot in the summer and I wanted another alternative. I have a couple pairs of waterproof earbuds that I modified by putting the CTX plug end on them, but again I am tethered this way.

nolanation said:
nagov said:

Cliff

I think 90% of topics on here are rehashes of rehashes of the same topics. There is simply not that much to discuss. I guess my question is what was the point of buying the waterproof case, if you are not going to use it near water or the beach? If you wait until you are not near water or the beach, did you just buy it for the minimal times you are hunting in heavy rain? Like I said, my main point is not being tethered to the machine. I enjoy the freedom, others do not mind being tethered, like yourself. I do not hunt past my waist often, but if I did, I would have a pair of grey ghosts handy as well. Those are bulky heavy and hot in the summer and I wanted another alternative. I have a couple pairs of waterproof earbuds that I modified by putting the CTX plug end on them, but again I am tethered this way.

Summer time with the earbuds is the reason I did buy the waterproof pouch but even then, it is easier for me to just leave the headphones on. However, with the currents in the Gulf right now, I like being tethered to my machine, otherwise I'd watch it float off if I left go of it while scooping!

Cliff

I hunt in the rain pretty often, it's what makes Oregon green. I just drop the WM10 down my shirt, or put it in my coat pocket.
If it sees enough water from being in either location, I have bigger issues to deal with. :wacko:

I have one of those nylon slip on covers for the WM10 not because of water just to keep it cleaner from mud and dust, you can use a ziplock baggie too for the same effect.

Thanks bell two. Those things would work if you are trying to just keep mud off. I certainly would NOT use a ziplock bag to the same effect as what I have pictured, but a ziplock would help keep the mud and light rain off if that is all you need.