Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Waterproof?

The housing holds the electronics . In most modern detectors it's where the information is, such as the meter, etc. No dumb questions, only garbled answers like mine.

So the display? I am just wondering if I can walk around the beach of a lake near me. I do not plan to go 8 feet down with the full detector, I am just wondering if I can dip it in 4 inch deep water.

So the display? I am just wondering if I can walk around the beach of a lake near me. I do not plan to go 8 feet down with the full detector, I am just wondering if I can dip it in 4 inch deep water.
Yes,you can go into the water with the coil. Not up to the control box and submerge it. Be careful not to tip the metal detector coil upwards as water may travel down the shaft and into the control box from the bottom. Your Platinum is similar to the Teknetics Gamma,if I'm not mistaken.

Had my Bounty Hunter Tracker IV in the water for about 2 hours yesterday. Worked ok with the coil submerged all that time until the end, when it started beeping erratically. I let it dry out at home and it went back to normal.

So, either the coil got some water inside or I accidentally splashed some water ino the electronics housing.

Correction on my previous post. My Tracker IV is screwed up after a day in the water. It beeps wildly on all metal mode and only settles down in tone mode. So, it seems to behave when in tone mode, but becomes erratic when swinging it. So, for now, it's useless. Maybe it needs more than two days to dry out..?

Check the coil for tiny holes that look like an air bubble in the epoxy . This happened to me years and years ago with the pioneer 202 . I only submerged the coil in a puddle. Turned out to be a defective coil / manufacturing defect . They replaced it free of charge . Look closely . Best of luck to ya .

Thanks for the tip. I took a look at the coil. No obvious holes or defects. Batteries were a bit low but replacing them made no improvement.

Yes, I think I fried it with water. It should be dry by now but still misbehaves.

Tightened my belt and ordered an Equinox 800. Only cry once, as they say...

I'd heard of Equinoxes leaking but couldn't justify the money for an Excaliber II. Especially as a dual use machine, for both land and water. Fortunately, warranty repair seems to cover water leaks on the Equinox.

Update on my water damaged Tracker IV coil. It never recovered, but, to prove that it was the coil that went bad, I bought another coil, a cheap 4" model. This new 4" coil works fine.

I learned my lesson. Coils are not waterproof.