Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Waterproofing the headphone module?

Sanderling

Like many of you, when I bought my CTX it came with the Koss non waterproof headphones. I mistakenly thought that the screw cap at the back of the module would make it waterproof. Not so as pointed out in the manual and by others in the forum, the screw cap is merely a dust cap. So, what to do to make it waterproof? I do not intend to use the machine underwater, but did want protection from water intrusion if hit by a wave, caught in heavy rain, or if I accidentally dropped it in the surf. I wanted to be able to use the Koss phones with the wireless module without having to shell out more bucks for a waterproof pair. So I took the screw cap to my local hardware store and bought an O ring that fit snug under the Phillips head. I put a light coat of silicone grease in the ring and screwed it hand tight into the waterproof headphone connector. For added insurance I secured a rubber bib secured by a rubber band over the cap/connector. Hoping this cheap fix resolves the problem. I have not used it yet and welcome thoughts and comments.

I put Teflon tape on mine and snugged it down. The teflon will fill in the gaps and should suffice.
For the off chance it get splashed or dunked it should not have any issues.

Good idea Lawson. Thought about tape too. I think that would make it more secure and fill the gaps as you said. Thanks for the tip.

Sanderling said:
Like many of you, when I bought my CTX it came with the Koss non waterproof headphones. I mistakenly thought that the screw cap at the back of the module would make it waterproof. Not so as pointed out in the manual and by others in the forum, the screw cap is merely a dust cap. So, what to do to make it waterproof? I do not intend to use the machine underwater, but did want protection from water intrusion if hit by a wave, caught in heavy rain, or if I accidentally dropped it in the surf. I wanted to be able to use the Koss phones with the wireless module without having to shell out more bucks for a waterproof pair. So I took the screw cap to my local hardware store and bought an O ring that fit snug under the Phillips head. I put a light coat of silicone grease in the ring and screwed it hand tight into the waterproof headphone connector. For added insurance I secured a rubber bib secured by a rubber band over the cap/connector. Hoping this cheap fix resolves the problem. I have not used it yet and welcome thoughts and comments.

The jack where you connect waterproof headphones is a “waterproof audio connector”. This waterproof connector, along with the control box seal, are designed to keep water from getting into the control box electronics. The screw cap is not waterproof. But with the waterproof audio connector, it doesn't have to be. It is designed for keeping the connector pins clean when nothing else is plugged into it. If you remove the headphone module and don't put in the screw cap, or remove the headphone module and don't use underwater headphones, you can get sand or grit in those connector pins. That is the purpose of the screw cap. As I said, the audio connector itself is waterproof. HH Randy

You may want to remove the headphone module.
If you are handy, cut off your headphone jack and replace it with the 8 pin waterproof version used on the CTX for use in wading or detecting in the rain.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff. Handy I am not, particularly with electronics. I think I have it water and rain proofed enough for how I intend to use the CTX. Thanks again for your interest. You up around Dahlonega? That north Georgia area is really beautiful.