Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Weak Pinpoint Signals

Druid

Just a quick question on V3i.
Out hunting today I get some reasonably strong repeatable signals that will not generate any, or just very weak / minimal pinpoint audio signal when the trigger is pulled with the coil off to the side and then swept back over the spot the original signal was detected.
I am hunting in Hi-Pro base program and have dug up some of these targets based on motion mode signal some are junk and some are coins.
Any ideas on what is happening to the all metal signal? Is there some setting I need to change?

Thanks,

Drew.

I have the same problem on my V3i ,1 Next time it Pin Point with no aoido go to one side and pump the triger and go back to your target, 2 Re G/B and try the target again,
Let me know what happens, Mickfin

I think the V3 wen it went to the i dosent track as well??? Try to G/B and Lock track and do a manual 20 Mins or so. ill call Whites, Mickfin

I noticed a change almost immediately in the very short time I played with the V3i when I got it back from the upgrade. Granted I didn't use the machine much, but the pinpointing gave me fits at times. Thank goodness for the Garrett PP!!

Just got my new V3i last wednesday. Only hunted with it once this last sunday for about three hours. Using the stock 10"DD and Magics program that I loaded I cannot say that I have had any real problems pinpointing. Any problems I did have I associated to multiple metal targets in close proximity which makes pinpointing difficult with any detector. On my DFX, I would move slightly to the right or left of the suspect good target, pull the trigger, while only moving the coil enough to pinpoint the intended target. Following that same approach with the V3i, no problems seen yet.
Sometimes may even have to approach the good target from multiple directions to find the "cleanest" route for good pinpointing, all the while following the short coil movement described above. I at times have to use that method as well.

If I were to move over a junk target in close proximity, activate pinpoint, I could see how one could have difficulty zeroing in on the good target. I have yet to experience what others are saying, even when I used Magic's V3i for a week or so, I could not duplicate the situation several of you have mentioned. Sometimes you may just not be able to pinpoint at all if there is enough trash in the ground.
I have successfully used my Pistolprobe down to a depth of 4-5 inches to get in between a suspected good target and lots of trash I could not get my detector to lock in on.

Don't know if any of this helps or not and maybe I have just not seen what many of you describe yet.

Try turning up your All Metal Sensitivity, that controls how deep your pinpointing will go. I have mine set on 100.

Druid said:
Just a quick question on V3i.
Out hunting today I get some reasonably strong repeatable signals that will not generate any, or just very weak / minimal pinpoint audio signal when the trigger is pulled with the coil off to the side and then swept back over the spot the original signal was detected.
I am hunting in Hi-Pro base program and have dug up some of these targets based on motion mode signal some are junk and some are coins.
Any ideas on what is happening to the all metal signal? Is there some setting I need to change?

Thanks,

Drew.

I'm anxious to see if you find an answer. Weak or no PPing after getting a good target in swing mode with the V3i has always been the Achille's with mine so far, and like you, I have dug real targets just from the AC mode. Sure does make a bigger hole though.

Hope you get an answer. martin

I will give the AM sens a try on some higher settings, it is currently at 55 I believe.
Next disappearing target I will start cranking it 5 points at a time and try pinpointing again to see if that does the trick.
Thanks Larry.

Hi Corvair,

I am pretty good at separating targets and in general expect strong, broad, signals with multiple targets and raise coil or trigger again to de-tune to them but this is exact opposite situation. Ordinarily motion mode would mask from rejected trash target not AM mode, here the motion signal is strong and repeatable but AM is non-existent. I am trying to switch into pinpoint in various locations around the target to see if I am over a trash item off to the side also.
I use the UniProbe myself and find it a huge help in locating my targets.

Drew.

Hi Martin,

I think that Larry's advice to up the AM sens may be the key, I contacted Whites and they said the same.
Loving the V3i, and I am sure it is just a setting needing to be adjusted, one of the hard to pinpoint signals was a 1923 Canadian cent on edge at about 7".

Drew.

Hi Mick,

I generally do a manual GB every 20 mins to half hour or so, haven't tried locking tracking yet but inhibit is on for PP mode and site wasn't heavy in nails or decomposing iron so locking tracking didn't occur to me.
May be worth a try.

Thanks,

Drew.

Druid said:
Hi Corvair,

I am pretty good at separating targets and in general expect strong, broad, signals with multiple targets and raise coil or trigger again to de-tune to them but this is exact opposite situation. Ordinarily motion mode would mask from rejected trash target not AM mode, here the motion signal is strong and repeatable but AM is non-existent. I am trying to switch into pinpoint in various locations around the target to see if I am over a trash item off to the side also.
I use the UniProbe myself and find it a huge help in locating my targets.

Drew.

Drew, What was the depth reading of your target before you lost the pinpointing response. If reasonably shallow, the manual indicates that shallow target pinpointing can be problematic if the RX gain is set too high. Don't know if anyone has lowered Rx gain or if this even the issue. Just a thought.

I hunted a yard this trip where the ground was a mixture of broken brick bits, sand and cinders. I also found a half dozen tags from coal. Now this was one bad yard. It was hard enough to find a clean spot to G/B.

OK, like Larry said you need to raise your all metal sensitivity for more pin pointing depth. This is especially true if you use a DX1. You may have to de-tune by pulling the trigger several times on shallow targets if you turn up the sensitivity.

I hunted with the 10"D2 and with so much trash bits I couldn't always pin point without moving around the target. Also with the trash, sometimes when I pulled the trigger off to the side, there was a bit of trash under the coil and naturally this nulled the pin point ( no audio). Just moving to a new spot to pull the trigger solved the problem.

I can find the no audio on pin point that pulling the trigger doesn't fix. Rob

rcasio44 said:
I hunted with the 10"D2 and with so much trash bits I couldn't always pin point without moving around the target. Also with the trash, sometimes when I pulled the trigger off to the side, there was a bit of trash under the coil and naturally this nulled the pin point ( no audio). Just moving to a new spot to pull the trigger solved the problem.

I can find the no audio on pin point that pulling the trigger doesn't fix. Rob

Rob,

I think this is exactly what I was trying to say in my earlier reply to druid. You just said it in a more understandable way than I did.
I have yet to see the problem, but I know it can be duplicated, even on a DFX. Nulling out the intended target by pinpointing over some trash or close proximity alternate target.

Very well said Rob!