Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Weekend digging before the snow...

Antietamdigger

Got out for a few hours in one of my permissions, checked out a new area and saved some lead .

Attachments

• 0C5EB5DE-CEB4-47F8-B01F-79C6A6B3A4B4.jpeg
    0C5EB5DE-CEB4-47F8-B01F-79C6A6B3A4B4.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 168
Nice little batch harvested. I think I know where I’ll be heading for my next hunt.... to scratch the itch for lead. Been a couple weeks, I’ve been hung up on this real early site peeking up through in a park. Just enough real old stuff to keep me stoked for it you know?

You tore it up on the round balls btw.

Nice little batch harvested. I think I know where I’ll be heading for my next hunt.... to scratch the itch for lead. Been a couple weeks, I’ve been hung up on this real early site peeking up through in a park. Just enough real old stuff to keep me stoked for it you know?

You tore it up on the round balls btw.
Thank you Iowa, definitely know what you mean. A lot of my sites I dig a lot of round balls, early war sites, 1861,1862 yanks were still using smoothbores.

Thank you Iowa, definitely know what you mean. A lot of my sites I dig a lot of round balls, early war sites, 1861,1862 yanks were still using smoothbores.
I get into a lot of .69 round balls. Maybe 1 for every 3 or 4 other bullets in a couple spots. The battle here was 1865. Given the way the operations went, a lot of spots were first CSA occupied and shortly thereafter were Union due to siege operation. So I never know which side was using them. I just guessed both?? What’s strange at my sites is the total lack of brass. Very lucky to find anything other than lead or fragments.

I get into a lot of .69 round balls. Maybe 1 for every 3 or 4 other bullets in a couple spots. The battle here was 1865. Given the way the operations went, a lot of spots were first CSA occupied and shortly thereafter were Union due to siege operation. So I never know which side was using them. I just guessed both?? What’s strange at my sites is the total lack of brass. Very lucky to find anything other than lead or fragments.
Every area , state campaign is different for sure. A lot of sites thru research and such I’ve been fortunate to figure out exact regiments who were at a given site by what bullets have been recovered. A lot of people for years seemed to have assumptions that the .69 caliber buck ‘n ball round was just cs , but early war , especially diary accounts the confederates where equipped with the enfields. I go through a lot of union regimental histories , so you get to read about the change in arms. My area saw action and operations from 61-65, so we find a lot of projectile types. I feel like brass is hard to find at any site , fertilizer in the fields eating everything up, late war sites a lot of stuff and accoutrements already discarded by that point or secured so dang tight nothing falls of a uniform, or the army’s weren’t there long enough to lose it , especially in a quick skirmish or battle site. Keep on digging and researching and you’ll find it. HH