Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Weekend hunt with Mason Jarr

Had a chance this weekend to spend a couple of afternoons hunting with Mason Jarr. He and I have been emailing back and forth for some time now but this weekend we were finally able to meet up for a hunt. He drove down and we were able to get out for several hours on Friday and Saturday. I wish we could have had more time to hunt but at least we got what we did. I had fun getting to know him and spending time with someone who is as passionate about this hobby as I am.

We were hoping to get into some older coins so we only hunted the oldest houses we could find. Two were from the 1860s and one was from the 1880s. Considering that Utah wasn't even settled until 1847, these houses are about as old as you can find here. The first day we hunted the two oldest ones. The first was a bust but the second had a few mercs and several wheats. Here's what I got for the day:

[attachment 267911 DSC03109-1.jpg]
Copper wedding band, a Utah tax token, a merc, a piece of play money, 10 wheats, a brooch with white enamel on it, and a 1931 dog tag.

The next day we only hunted one yard. At least it was a pretty good one though. There was a ton of shallow clad there so it took a lot of time to hunt. We had time to do another but we ended up talking to a guy for like an hour so that ate up the rest of our time. He was quite the character though. When we found people at home, we usually didn't have trouble getting permission. Every one that said no gave us the excuse that either they were going to get a detector and hunt it, their kids were going to, or some relative was going to do it. I was surprised at how many people we found that want to get a detector and hunt. The sad thing is most people never will do it. Here's my second day's take:

[attachment 267912 DSC03111-1.jpg]
Ring that is stamped "1/60 10K RGP Thank U Made in USA". The green wheat and the merc we stuck together very solidly. It took me a few minutes to get them apart. 8 other wheats, cinco centavos from Mexico, Canadian penny, and a large disc that I have no idea what it is.

My silver for the weekend:

[attachment 267913 DSC03116-1.jpg]

Although we didn't get into any barbers or indians like we were hoping, we both had a great time. Between us, we got 5 silvers and coins from 4 different foreign countries. I'm glad Mason was able to come down for the weekend. Hopefully we'll be able to get together again soon. HH!

I'm just glad you were able to get the time off that you did. It's tough to go to school full time, raise a family and do all the other things you have to do in life and then have time for hobbies. 3 Mercs in 2 days is great hunting. It would've taken me much longer to pull three up this way. Maybe we'll get on the Barbers and IHs next time. Remember, Barber or SL quarters are high on my hit list!! Ha ha.

Nice to get out and make some finds. Merc's are one of my favorite coins.

Nice to see some local posts.

Rich (Utah)